mach 1 grill delete - pitb

03gtdrkpny

Apr 4, 2004
IL
RANT - This is the 2nd mach 1 grill delete I've done, and this one was a train wreck. The first kit I got was from partshopper and it had the dbl sided tape, installed in like 30 minutes. I got the latest one from blue oval which is all oem ford parts, so I do the install without dbl sided tape and cut the original screws and use the nylon spacers. I lost a 7mm box end somewhere in the bumper, looked for it for hours, used big magnet - never found it :shrug: Then I couldn't get the 2 middle screws in, so I went out and bought a mini 7mm box end with the ratcheting action. That made things easier. Figured out that using a 7mm socket was best for starting the screws, then switched to the wrench. Get everything buttoned up and there are gaps all the way around the stupid thing. Run back out again, picked up some exterior 3m dbl sided tape, doubled it up and stuck it from end to end around the piece and it looks much better, gaps gone.

I also got my 14" shorty antenna installed, and I have to say, I like the 18" on my coupe better.

Also sanded and repainted the gas tank straps, they were all rusted out and looking nasty.

Once I get my dd rims, I'm gonna sand down my exhaust from the wheel well back and polish it up, now it's all rusty from the previous owner driving the car in the winter.

The fun never ends with these cars.

Cliffs -
1) Mach 1 grill delete, could of saved myself 4 hours had I just gotten the dbl sided tape right off the back.
2) Gas tank straps look better when they are black
3) DD rims on the way, need to polish my exhaust due to nasty road salt.

sngt2.jpg

sngt1.jpg

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I didn't bother waisting money on a delete kit for the grill. I took mine out, took the pony out of the corral, and found a black piece of plastic and cut out a template to adhere the pony emblem to it. Then, with some screws I found laying around my garage, I screwed it in, and used a sharpie to color the screws in. In about 1-1 1/2 hours I had a "floating pony". You can't tell the differnece really at all. I get alot of good repore about it.

New Rant.... I had a cracked spoiler....6 inches from left to right on the backside visable. So I ordered a take off from Ninosport. Got sent an 05 SN. It was perfect except the wrong year. I would of mounted it had it covered up the holes. So they look for another suitable, find nothing that wouldn't of needed new paint.....So they refund my money....good people to work with there. I go on the hunt myself, I can't find anything but a decent Mach 1 take off which they wanted too much. So I contact Sportwing and ask good questions, direct replacement, fitment, quality, material, etc.
I get it today, it's shipped awesome, the paint match was dead on. The fitment sucked. I had to remove the pads on the bases to flush it with the decklid. I sealed it to the deck with clear exterior silicon. I had to drill the starter holes in the ABS (not studded like oem) and use the supplied sheet metal screws and lock washers. The paint spider webed around the base once I cinched it to the decklid. It just sucks. I'm totally pissed and almost smashed it with a hammer. I think I'm just going to order a v6 decklid and have the ford emblem filled in and painted. :bs:

Sorry to raise this from the dead, just an update. I decided to keep the spoiler from Sportwing. They we're ready to refund which is great customer service. It doesn't look hot under the garage lights, but in daylight, you can hardly tell the difference from oem.

I didn't bother waisting money on a delete kit for the grill. I took mine out, took the pony out of the corral, and found a black piece of plastic and cut out a template to adhere the pony emblem to it. Then, with some screws I found laying around my garage, I screwed it in, and used a sharpie to color the screws in. In about 1-1 1/2 hours I had a "floating pony". You can't tell the differnece really at all. I get alot of good repore about it.
Do you have any pics of this? This sounds like a great alternative. Anyone else do this?