magnaflow exhaust....?

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
North Atlanta
I did a search, but didnt come up with anything. I even saw a post I had made a few years ago. Its been a long time since I owned one though.

Is there really a big difference in sound or performance between the axle back and catback system from magnaflow? Are the pipes from the cats to the axles really that much better than the ones that FORD has on there now?

• Sponsors (?)

This question has been asked many times, and it is a good one because on previous mustangs, changing the catback would yield a noticable increase. However, in the 05+'s, the 2.5" diameter dual exhaust is pretty good, even the mufflers aren't that restrictive. The advantage to the magnaflow 2.5" catback from what I can tell is that the stock piping flattens at a small section just above the axel, where the mag is mandrel bent. 3" catback, I think that might be too much pipe if you are N/A, and I don't see many owners switch to them N/A or FI. As far as the axelback's, pretty much all of them sound great, but due to the good stock exhaust design, you're looking at maybe a 2-5hp increase. I love my MAC boomtube AB for it's affordable price ($275-300), low drone, and they are one of the loudest.

There are supercharger companies like Kenne Bell that say there is NO HP gain with an aftermarket exhaust, to include headers. The real drawback to power with the MOD motor is the fact that it was designed for boost and we buy them N/A. You want to see what your engine was designed for, boost it.

There are supercharger companies like Kenne Bell that say there is NO HP gain with an aftermarket exhaust, to include headers. The real drawback to power with the MOD motor is the fact that it was designed for boost and we buy them N/A. You want to see what your engine was designed for, boost it.

Already have a boosted 5.4. This is the wife's car and she wants a rumble.