Making an oil seperator...need some help and pics

5.0_GT_kid

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Largo, Florida
OK guys I want to make an oil seperator for my 1994 GT, I need links to writeups if anyone has them and also if possible, pictures of where I have to connect the 3/8 fuel line coming into and out of the oil seperator.

Thanks in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Swarzkopf said:
I don't understand this whole "make an oil separator" thing.

Just go to Home Depot and buy one for $10 plus the NPT adapters you need for another $4.

Umm...that's what I'm doing. Just looking for a write up to be on the safe side and then I need to see where the connections go.

5.0_GT_kid said:
So do I just follow the PCV hose from the lower manifold and then cut it and put the seperator in, or do I have to do it in a certain spot?

The unit should be placed somewhere so its upright all the time and accessible to remove/replace the bottle...get 2ft of 3/8 fuel line and just replace everything from the pcv valve forward and it'll run new feeds into/out of the separator......that'll give you new lines all around....if the lines are old, odds are they hard and brittle...makes things harder to install and prone to leaks...

Here you go.

102Picture_171-med.jpg

gmkillr said:
Here you go.

102Picture_171-med.jpg

Okay guys. I'm bringing this back up. I have that EXACT seperator & those EXACT 1/4" NPT fittings. Does anyone ELSE use this one? Just wondering if anyone has either found a bracket to mount on the firewall ..... or fabbed one up. I want mine mounted on the firewall ...... but it doesn't come with any kind of bracket. Any tips/ideas for me so I can make one?

Justin, I have that one. I made a bracket that uses one of the firewall (plastic cover) screws. My separator sits 90* from GMKllr's (so the lines run parallel to the firewall), but in the same location in the engine bay.

I used one of the little bosses in the top of the separator (tapped it for a screw). The bracket looks like an upside down L.

Good luck.

Aha! I never even thought about using those holes on the top! That sounds like a good way of doing it .... in fact, that's how I WILL do it. Couple more questions ......

1. What did you use to make the bracket? Aluminum? Where can I get a nice piece to work with?

2. Does it matter how it is mounted? (i.e. .... inlet/outlet) Do you just put the PCV side to the sep. inlet .... then the intake side to the sep. outlet? Or does it even matter?

Thanks JT.

SeventyMach1 said:
Aha! I never even thought about using those holes on the top! That sounds like a good way of doing it .... in fact, that's how I WILL do it. Couple more questions ......

1. What did you use to make the bracket? Aluminum? Where can I get a nice piece to work with?

2. Does it matter how it is mounted? (i.e. .... inlet/outlet) Do you just put the PCV side to the sep. inlet .... then the intake side to the sep. outlet? Or does it even matter?

Thanks JT.
Justin, I would use some cheap bar-stock from the home store - you know the aisle with little straight and 90* bend metal brackets. You can bend those up in a vice and cut them real easy with a cut-off wheel or die grinder. That would be quick and dirty. A nice alum bracket would be nice of course.

I was worried about chafing on surrounding parts, so instead of painting and leaving the bracket, I wrapped it real nicely in elec tape (sounds bad, but works and looks ok - you hardly see the bracket anyhow).

I am not sure that direction matters on the separator. I chose to have the line from the PCV valve go into the 'inlet,' and the separator's 'out' port goes to the intake. That way the separator works with the air flow direction as it was designed.

If you dont have line yet, I used 3/8" I.D. hose (it fit the existing fitting on the PCV valve and the Tee fitting behind the intake pretty tight). I used hydraulic hose but fuel line is more mallable and would be easier to work with.

Since the separator is up relatively high, I used fittings (1/4" NPT, 3/8" barbs) that turn down 90*. I know you already have fittings, but if you dont like the aesthetics, those 90* fittings are out there and can help with packaging.

Good luck!