Making Power with EFI SD

This has most likely been said a lot and I'm probably going to anger a couple of you, but how are you guys making power on a 5.0 EFI SD? My goal is to hit between the 250 and 300hp mark. People have been saying no cam because of SD and I'm not sure if gt40 heads and intake would be worth the while due to explorers and mountaineers being impossible to find in junkyards in my area. So far I got a 2.5" exhaust with headers and pulleys for anything "power" related.

• Sponsors (?)

Between 250-300HP crank?

GT40 heads, exploter/cobra/gt40 intake. 1.7 RR's on the stock cam and full exhaust. That should put you into that range. I've had all that (other than heads) on my '88 and a few other mods (65mm TB, pullies, E-fan) but left the stock cam and it ran very well and idled like stock.

The stock cam isn't that bad, especially the early 85-88 cam. It just doesn't chop like people want so they deem it junk and stick a N41 in.

Reactions: 1 user
11r heads small chamber heads, used systamax intake, good adjustable timing set to degree the stock cam, 1.7 -1.72 rockers and pushrods, rest of the normal bolt on stuff. If it was mine.. But I'd probably ditch the SD too and use a much better cam, did the stock cam stuff years ago with afr 165's.

easy peasy a few ways

1. Vortech
2. Nitrous
3. Explorer intake, heads, 1.7 Rockers. they still sell SD friendly cams

I made around 280hp back in the day with the stock cam, Edelbrock heads, 1.7 Rockers, 70 MM TB, headers, Explorer intake. I first added a 125shot of the old NOS 5115 kit. I had Mike Johnson of JMS burn a remote tune and it made around 350 rwhp. Eventually around 1991 or 92 i swapped that for at that time the new Vortech V1 making 8# of boost, at which time I also swapped to Mass AIr.