Maverick suspension

• Sponsors (?)

If I remember right, Caltrac bars are like the old Traction Masters, but with a spring load system in the bar.

I bought a set of "Traction Masters" (copies probably) made for a '65 Mustang to see how close they are to a MII rear.

They were pretty close...except for the fact that they require a rear subframe to mount the front end of the bar and the MII doesn't HAVE a rear subframe! ;)

The rear mounting plate worked pretty well after slotting the axle mounting bolt holes and cutting a big oval for the MII rubber mount to fit down through.

I think that the front mount could be attached to a couple of plates designed like the rear shackles. Except the shackle plates would probably need a third hole on the body end to keep them from rotating.

78CobraII

The website says you press in an aluminum bushing into the spring eye, and it doesn't say anything about needing a subframe. Is the perch-to-eye spring length the same for the 65-73 Mustangs? What about the bushings? Are they about the same? The spring mounting plate should be relatively easy to modify, just modifying some holes. I'm seriously considering doing this.

OK, I just checked out the pics on their website (http://www.calvertracing.com/info/info.htm)...no spring in the horizontal link. ;)

They look just like a Traction Master with the exception of the front mount. A TM has its front pivot attached to a small plate that welds to the rear subframe. Plus a TM is not adjustable in length (but could be made so with a little work).

The CalTrac uses a set of triangular front "shackles" just like I was planning to do with my modified TM's. But instead of using a set of triangular front plates to pin the rotation to the body like I planned, the CalTrac uses them to translate rearward motion of the link into rotary motion of the front mount upwards into the spring to resist "wrapping". That make any sense? :D

Some thoughts:
-The Caltracs are adjustable in length, but by how much? If its 1" or more, I'd get a set for a '65 Mustang and do whatever adjustment you need. The TM's I bought for a '65 Mustang were not off by more than 1" when placed on my CBII.
-The aluminum front bushing is designed for racing and will be rough on the street. How much street driving will this car see?
-E-mail him and ask about you application. He may have already made a set for the MII. If not, he should have the specs of his various models and be able to match them to the specs of the MII rear springs.

Whatever you find out, please let us know!

Now I just have to figure out where I saw the TM-style traction bars with the spring load in the middle!

78CobraII

Ah...Competition Engineering...the pic is from the set for an early Mustang. There is some sort of spring inline in the link bar.

78CobraII

Attachments

• TractionBar_CompEng_EarlyMustang.jpg
    TractionBar_CompEng_EarlyMustang.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,871
I've asked this several times before, but got no response. I AM A DISTRIBUTOR FOR CALVERT RACING AND CAN GET MII BARS MADE. I just need to know if the intrerest is there AND if MII owners are willing to spend the $340 that Caltracs cost. If you guys really want them, I can have them made.

CobraIILover said:
I've asked this several times before, but got no response. I AM A DISTRIBUTOR FOR CALVERT RACING AND CAN GET MII BARS MADE. I just need to know if the intrerest is there AND if MII owners are willing to spend the $340 that Caltracs cost. If you guys really want them, I can have them made.
I'm very interested. I don't want to spend the money to have a 4 link rear setup made.

I'd be interested but I do have a couple of questions.
Any idea how quickly the couple could produce the caltracs? (Kinda in the process of changing some slapper bars into lift-bars so I need to know if I should stop).
What would have to be done to the Mustang? By looking at that "make your own" page and looking under the Mustang it appears that we don't have much room for the Front Pivot. Removing body flashing stuff should clear up most of it though.
Also if the "build your own" page is correct then on the front pivot the distance between the Pivot Point and Pressure Point is only 1.5" on our Mustangs... that means to be equal the distance between Pivot Point and Transfer Point is to once again only be 1.5". That wouldn't leave any room for the Force Transfer Link. But I think engineers would be able to probably be able to increase the distance between the Pivot Point and Transfer point and compensate by making the front pivot more of an obtuse angle.
If anybody wants to help me out with this, if the so-called problem area that Caltrac Bars fix is only 1.5", then is that a huge problem? Could our lack of traction be caused by something other then what Caltracs were created to solve?
Just some things I thought of. If anybody wants to explain this I'd be willing to listen. Or maybe I'm just scared of dropping around $600 Canadian on something not yet tested for our cars.