Maximum Motorsports bushing removal/install tool stuck

MN_Stang

Mar 31, 2017
I used my MM bushing install/removal tool tonight. It worked great on the passenger side of the rear end, but doesn't seem to work at all on the driver side.

The "cup" portion had a slight notch that they ground down to make room for the drive side eyelet, but it wasn't near enough. I had about 7 rounds of grinding down just to get it to fit and allow the bushing to enter unimpeded. I literally had to grind so far down that i made a small hole in the cup.

I got the bushing about half way in and realized the space was still so tight that now the bushing in the cup would not allow the cup to come off...so I'm stuck.

WTF? I watched several videos and no one seemed to have this problem.

My questions are:

1. Why should this rear end be any different from the videos I saw of other Mustangs? I bought it from someone who said it came off an 86 GT.
2. How the hell am I going to remove the tool now? A hammer and screwdriver on the collar wasn't working to back the bushing back out.
3. When I get it out, How am I going to get it on properly with that little of clearance...it seems like the bushing tools you rent would be even less forgiving of a tight space.

So frustrated.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot_cr.jpg
    Screen-Shot_cr.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_8576_cr.jpg
    IMG_8576_cr.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_8578_cr.jpg
    IMG_8578_cr.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 324
  • Sponsors (?)

I too struggled with installing the driver side upper control arm bushings on my car with MM's tool. I remember having to remove the brake coupler for the passenger's side due to the very tight space.

Two things: you don't mention applying grease. The MM instructions are very specific about installing grease between the "pucks" (my term). While this doesn't help you right this moment I'm confident you'll be able to get them off somehow. I would apply a lot of WD-40 and try to hammer it off or use an impact.
#2. I actually ran out of steam with my impact drill and ended up using my torque wrench for the last 1/4".

I also spent A LOT of time trying to get it lined up just right otherwise it binds after about 3/8" of it is installed.

Lastly, I installed this while lying on my back under my car. You'll get it off. Just use a lot of grease and make sure it's perfectly aligned.

I too struggled with installing the driver side upper control arm bushings on my car with MM's tool. I remember having to remove the brake coupler for the passenger's side due to the very tight space.

Two things: you don't mention applying grease. The MM instructions are very specific about installing grease between the "pucks" (my term). While this doesn't help you right this moment I'm confident you'll be able to get them off somehow. I would apply a lot of WD-40 and try to hammer it off or use an impact.
#2. I actually ran out of steam with my impact drill and ended up using my torque wrench for the last 1/4".

I also spent A LOT of time trying to get it lined up just right otherwise it binds after about 3/8" of it is installed.

Lastly, I installed this while lying on my back under my car. You'll get it off. Just use a lot of grease and make sure it's perfectly aligned.

I used anti-seize like it mentioned on the tool itself. I greased the bushing itself as well as the eyelet.

Even if I get the bushing backed out and the cup off, I now have no idea how to re-install that bushing. Like I mentioned, the rental bushing removal/intall tools seem even less likely to work in tight spaces.

I used anti-seize like it mentioned on the tool itself. I greased the bushing itself as well as the eyelet.

Even if I get the bushing backed out and the cup off, I now have no idea how to re-install that bushing. Like I mentioned, the rental bushing removal/intall tools seem even less likely to work in tight spaces.
Hmmm, weird. If it's a legit Maximum Motorsports tool I'd give them a call on Monday. They have very good customer service.

Do you have the instructions that came with it? If not I can take photos of mine and paste them here. Maybe you missed something? Although it sounds like you did everything right.

Hmmm, weird. If it's a legit Maximum Motorsports tool I'd give them a call on Monday. They have very good customer service.

Do you have the instructions that came with it? If not I can take photos of mine and paste them here. Maybe you missed something? Although it sounds like you did everything right.

Yeah, think I will. I just watched their youtube vid and the cup fit just fine getting both off and on. Kind of freaked me out that I may have gotten the wrong rear end, but the transmission shop installed all my Ford guts in it just fine. Maybe 86 8.8 rears had a slightly different outer cast?

Yeah, think I will. I just watched their youtube vid and the cup fit just fine getting both off and on. Kind of freaked me out that I may have gotten the wrong rear end, but the transmission shop installed all my Ford guts in it just fine. Maybe 86 8.8 rears had a slightly different outer cast?
Are you sure it's not a 7.5 rear end? I believe the gears fit both 8.8 and 7.5.

So, Maximum Motorsports' awesome customer service responded to me within hours and over the weekend.

Basically, they mentioned that the mill work was a little inexact on those older rear ends. They said that I'm one of the lucky one or so people a year that contacts them with this same clearance problem. Gave me some good advice on removing and trying to reinstall...last option being using a cup or socket + hammer for the install...makes me a little nervous, so hopefully doesn't come to that.

So, Maximum Motorsports' awesome customer service responded to me within hours and over the weekend.

Basically, they mentioned that the mill work was a little inexact on those older rear ends. They said that I'm one of the lucky one or so people a year that contacts them with this same clearance problem. Gave me some good advice on removing and trying to reinstall...last option being using a cup or socket + hammer for the install...makes me a little nervous, so hopefully doesn't come to that.
That's good to hear. I didn't realize they responded on weekends. Ya, they're very good and have great products. I've bought parts from them for decades and have never been disappointed. I recently emailed them soliciting their input on a conservative alignment and they gave me a quick response with good caster and camber specs.

Last edited:
I had not problems using the tool to install my bushings.... worked great...
Looking back on all the bolt on installation of parts on my 26 year old Mustang, I would say removing the aftermarket urethane bushings from my 8.8" rear was the most trying, but most satisfying. I installed stock uppers with brand new bushings and Maximum Motorsports lowers due to a later panhard bar install. Major improvement in ride, but the urethane removal and rubber install was a lot of work.

Last edited:
I had the same problem and I ended up in the most careful way possible cutting a hole on the side of it to slide a BFS (big effin screwdriver) to pry it out. It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done.

good luck and be careful.

Wow...That's the most careful way possible!!! :rlaugh:

Forgive me...I was having a terrible morning and that just struck me when I saw the pic. I know it's jammed way up in nowhere and hard to reach. Fill it with a welder and grind it back smooth and good as new.