Maximum Motorsports Suspension Installed!! (PICS)

tunedin302

I AM the law!!!
Jul 29, 2004
Pennsylvania
Finally did the rear suspension of my car w/ the following parts:

1. MM LCAs
2. FMS-5500 Upper arms (painted)
3. Bilstein shocks
4. MM Panhard Bar
5. MM coilover kit w/ Hypercoil springs
6. Replaced upper diff bushings

I had an Eibach Pro-Kit and some Tokicos and now the difference is simply amazing. Anyone thinking about a coilover / PHB setup - I highly suggest that you do it.

I intend to also do the fronts in coilover sometime next spring. As you can see, I made dumps out of my exhaust b/c the tailpipe don't clear the PHB w/o some modification. This wasn't a big deal since I knew this going in and am going all stainless as well. The exhaust is currently in the works. Thanks for looking at my weekend work and stay tuned for more.

Coil-Pass.jpg

Driver-coil.jpg

PassLCA.jpg

FMS-upper.jpg

Coil-Pass2.jpg

PHB1.jpg

PHB3.jpg

Attachments

• Coil-Pass.jpg
    Coil-Pass.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Driver-coil.jpg
    Driver-coil.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 505
  • PassLCA.jpg
    PassLCA.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 210
  • FMS-upper.jpg
    FMS-upper.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Coil-Pass2.jpg
    Coil-Pass2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 398
  • PHB1.jpg
    PHB1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 250
  • PHB3.jpg
    PHB3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 267
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Matt,

When you took all the measurements for the PHB, did you notice the axle being offset to one side or the other or was it fairly centered?

The reason I ask is that after the 17" wheels went on, I noticed rubbing on the drivers side rear fender lip but not on the other. Took a measuring tape at various spots and found that it is about 1/4" off to the drivers side. Can this offset be adjusted with the panhard rod adjusting the heims out?

Thanks for any help you could give.

Looks great btw!!!!!!!!

1slowfiveoh said:
Matt,

When you took all the measurements for the PHB, did you notice the axle being offset to one side or the other or was it fairly centered?

The reason I ask is that after the 17" wheels went on, I noticed rubbing on the drivers side rear fender lip but not on the other. Took a measuring tape at various spots and found that it is about 1/4" off to the drivers side. Can this offset be adjusted with the panhard rod adjusting the heims out?

Thanks for any help you could give.

Looks great btw!!!!!!!!
and we meet again:D
the track kit is a future upgrade for me

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1117

Don Fiveolio said:
:drool:

how long did the install take? Lovin' the brakes BTW

Total time to tear it down and install the new stuff took about 3 days. The most difficult parts were pressing/removing the diff bushings and the install of the PHB (measuring and a lot of driling)

dderek said:
show some pictures of how it sits normally now
Here is a shot with the Eibachs. Witht the coilovers, I put the rear up about another 1/4" to create more of a rake look.

Stang1.jpg

Daggar said:
I'll be looking for COMPLETE 2 page driver's report once you've had the chance to ride around in it a bit. :D

I'm on it :nice:
1slowfiveoh said:

Yes, mine was off about 1/8" - not a big deal but the PHB will correct this. If you are more than a 1/2" then they tell you to inspect for damaged control arm bushings. Drop an email to Chris @ maximum, he's pretty much the man: [email protected]

S&B said:
Have you driven the car since you got the brakes?

looks good :drool:

Yup, put the brakes on last September and have about 320 miles on them. They are such an improvement over the stockers.

Tonys89GT said:
Yup, still my #1 fav mustang on Stangnet......(Actually tied with Stang22 and Almost Stock)

GreatWhite said:
yeah, definately my favorite.

Thanks guys. That is a true honor to be put up there with Stang22 and Almoststock. :hail2:

Attachments

• Stang1.jpg
    Stang1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: 1 user
AWESOME I wish I had the money for that I bet it handles like..well, not a mustang. I really want the MM panhard bar but 400 bucks ill have to save up alittle, I know its probably hard to tell since you did all that stuff but how does the panhard bar feel? Id really love to get the coilovers too, I heard bad things about the UPR coilovers how are the mm's?

mob said:
I know its probably hard to tell since you did all that stuff but how does the panhard bar feel? Id really love to get the coilovers too, I heard bad things about the UPR coilovers how are the mm's?

It is a different car. The handling is amazing. Also, the ride quality is so much better than with the eibachs. I didn't think it would be that much different but it really is.

This is from MM website:

The MM Panhard Bar eliminates the Mustang’s unstable and unpredictable behavior while cornering near its limit. This feeling is caused by the rear of the car steering itself without any input from the driver. Rear end steering is caused by the sideways movement of the rear axle.

In the Mustang’s 4-link suspension design the lateral location of the rear axle is done by the upper control arms. The axle, however, is not precisely located—it shifts around because of the deflection of the rubber bushings in the control arms. We built a device to measure sideways movement of the axle, and actually recorded up to 2" of sideways movement of the rear axle while cornering.

In addition, the upper arms are at about a 45 degree angle from the direction of the cornering load. Some binding in these arms is induced during cornering as one arm enters into compression and the other enters into tension.

Do NOT use urethane in the upper arms to improve the side to side motion of the axle. Because of the three dimensional movement of the upper arms, severe binding will be induced as the suspension moves--with or without a Panhard bar. This effect may not be evident in a drag-only car, but if you plan to drive the car on the street at all, we do not recommend urethane in the upper arms (see the Rear Lower Control Arm section for more information).

The Panhard bar is a lateral suspension link between the rear axle and the chassis, and is the best method to control the side to side location of the axle relative to the chassis. The Panhard bar is in a direct line with the cornering load, and acts through spherical rod ends, therefore no bind is induced during cornering. By nature of its design, a Panhard bar does a better job of locating the axle than the Mustang’s four-link suspension.

Features of the unique Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar:
MM's Panhard rod is the longest possible at 38" between pivot points. This minimizes the amount of rear axle movement associated with the arc of the rod's movement. The longer the rod, the larger the radius. The larger the radius, the smaller the sideways movement.
Slots on the MM chassis mount allow for vertical height adjustment to keep the Panhard rod level at different vehicle ride heights. A level bar reduces the effect of the rod's movement arc.
Beefy 3/4" rod-ends are mounted in double shear at both ends. If a rod-end mounted in single shear fails when the rod-end’s ball separates from its body, that end of the Panhard Bar will become completely disconnected from the mount. The result could be catastrophic as the Panhard rod will no longer provide any lateral control of the rear axle and may even drop to the roadway. If the same failure occurs to a rod-end mounted in double shear, the rod-end body will still be contained within the mounting brackets by the bolt and the two plates of the bracket. Some lateral control of the axle will still be maintained.
Both the unique design and quality materials used make the MM mounting brackets strong enough to not break and stiff enough to not flex under conrning loads of over 1 G.
The boxed axle bracket virtually encloses the rod-end for a rigid, non-flexing mount.
The MM chassis bracket mounts to the rear subframe of the car (not the flimsy trunk floor or spare tire well)- using the exclusive MM frame inserts to prevent collapse of the subframe.
The MM Panhard Bar is designed to clear the factory tailpipe routing.
The Panhard rod is mounted as low as possible to lower the rear roll center height (typically at the same height as the rod).
The Panhard rod is available in lightweight aluminum (either natural finish or polished). The identical item is used on NASCAR Winston Cup stock cars.
Compatible with T/A rear differential cover