Mean Wife

What should I do?

• Total voters
Ok wife added up the money I have spent on my car last year and said I need to cut back on spending. So we can save for a vacation (she didn't like the fact I say the drag strip is a vacation).

So I am at the point where I still have stuff I want to do with the car. What should I do?

• Sponsors (?)

Start trimming the budget in other places brother,as long as the monthly output of funds technically stays the same,she will be none the wiser :D
And... if you are like everyone else on this site,start selling off those parts you squirled away 10 years ago that you will never use lol

Reactions: 1 user
2nd bank account.

Wife and I have a joint checking/savings account that the bills are paid out of, retirement and 529 come out of, and savings for things like vacations or house repairs and such. Anything extra goes into our own bank accounts that we can spend on whatever we'd like. As long as the bills get paid and such, I could care less what she buys with her money, and she doesn't give me any crap about what I buy with mine.

Reactions: 4 users
You forgot a poll option:

Post on middle eastern website and accept any reasonable offer from rich oil sheik. Half up front, half on delivery.

Take the wife on vacation. :O_o:

This could bite me in
the ass when I run for
president.
:think:

Send hate mail to @Jinx @stangnet.com

Reactions: 3 users
Happy wife, happy life. I find it best to not tell how much I've spent unless asked.

That was kinda the problem. Everything I do to the car I keep the receipt and it go's into the file I have on the car. When she was doing taxes so got into the file the keeps getting fatter and started adding everything that I spent on the car in 2016 and kinda flipped. I tell her that I buy stuff just not the cost. And when she seen the new block, Crank, cams, rods, pistons and heads. Then the cost of getting the motor built and dyno tune. And all the little stuff that was over 10k in just a few months was kinda a big deal to her. Then you have me a smart ass that says you can't put a price on speed kinda made her more pissed. Lucky I have a different file for motel stay that was work related :bs: that is a good chunk too but I stay in motels a lot for work.

Ok wife added up the money I have spent on my car last year and said I need to cut back on spending. So we can save for a vacation (she didn't like the fact I say the drag strip is a vacation).
So I am at the point where I still have stuff I want to do with the car. What should I do?
vacations suck!!!

Cheaper to keep her. Just remember that.

This. Lying or hiding things always goes poorly. Have a discussion and set reasonable limits so that you enjoy your hobby and she supports your hobby.

As an example- I've cut back on spending on the areas that are not that important and spread my mustang projects over time - both of these factors allow me to have allowed me to build a MM suspension, full Bolton, maxed out short block 2v. There is always more to add on ..... (planning out forged internals now) but everyone is happy because we are both inside our budget and get to buy the fun things we like.

10k in motor parts / install / tune is a major investment. Spread it out and keep her in the loop about your plans. If you set a budget with her you will be surprised how much you can do and how happy she will stay.

Last edited:
This. Lying or hiding things always goes poorly. Have a discussion and set reasonable limits so that you enjoy your hobby and she supports your hobby.

As an example- I've cut back on spending on the areas that are not that important and spread my mustang projects over time - both of these factors allow me to have allowed me to build a MM suspension, full Bolton, maxed out short block 2v. There is always more to add on ..... (planning out forged internals now) but everyone is happy because we are both inside our budget and get to buy the fun things we like.

10k in motor parts / install / tune is a major investment. Spread it out and keep her in the loop about your plans. If you set a budget with her you will be surprised how much you can do and how happy she will stay.

I done have the motor built, and it's to the point where I am about done with it and I have been saving to get a Cobra Jet, I have saved 75k so far so I hope not to much longer I'll have it. And we have talked and got it all figured out I get a per diem each day I am at work that what I don't use for the day will go into my car now and 10% of my check go's into cobra jet savings and 15% for vacation saving. So I have less money going into the cobra jet but with my per diem what I don't speed on my 99 I'll put into cobra jet. So it's a win win... and she is happy...

I have 5 mustangs. Four of them are project cars. I'd hate to see a tally of how much I've actually spent on them. But I always tell her how much. We've skipped vacation for the last few yrs because of it. But I make most of the money and pay 99% of the bills. I also point out that after your vacation, you don't have much to show for it. A nice car (or 4) is something that will still be there after you spend money on it. Maybe not a good investment, but better than a week at the beach. She's wanting to go on a vacation, but I'm the one working my tail off to pay the bills. So I prefer to spend my money on cars. If she wants to make some decisions, then she can start footing the bill for stuff. Last I checked, I paid for the dishwasher when it went out. House payment. Car payment. Insurance. Utilities. Home repairs/upgrades. Car repairs/service. Our dog's $2600 knee surgery (with the other knee scheduled for another $2600 surgery). I'm a good guy and she has a nice, easy, comfortable life because I break my back on a regular basis. So although I'm nice about it, she can spend her money on vacations if she wants. What little bit of money I have left over after paying nearly 100% of our living expenses, I'm spending on what makes me happy. She works part time. She makes decent money, for what she does. Basically, almost all the money she earns is play money. I work WAY more than she does and almost all my money goes to cover expenses.

And it's not like she doesn't like cars. In fact, I've spent most of my car money on restoring an 88gt that I'm giving to her. I bet I've invested over $10k on it just in the last 2 yrs. After all the physical and mental stress I've accrued after years of hard work, there's a 95% chance she will outlive me by a good bit. Once I'm gone, she will have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of cars and guns she can sell. I also have a hefty life insurance policy and she will have enough money to pay off all debt and take as many vacations as she wants!

Rant over. Lol

All I'll say about it is if you're prioritizing a car and the time and money you'd rather spend with it over the woman in your life,...You really don't have a woman in your life. May as well just get a cat and be done with it.

Last edited:
We all take something from them though, don't we?

I consider myself extremely fortunate that I was able to get my latest vehicle and also take my wife on vacation. Every time we do something to satisfy this hobby of ours, Momma goes without something. Maybe new furniture, kitchen remodel, whatever.

I can't bring myself to look at it by what money we bring home. I could not and cannot do what I do if she weren't there to do everything that she has done. I damn sure couldn't have spent the last 4 years going back to school or the 24 before that going to God knows what country, while she kept everything together at home.

I'd sell my car tomorrow if it meant she got something she really wanted or needed. The same applies to my kids.