Fox Mechanic SF Bay Area Convertible Windows

Hey all.

I live in the Sf Bay Area, specifically on the Peninsula. Recently i did the guides rod bracket and bushing repair on the rear quarter windows of my 88 GT. After 2 days of screwing around with it, I still can’t get the windows right. (I used the ford service manual and followed all the steps, it’s just wonky still.)

I’m looking for a recommendation for a mechanic/shop in the Bay Area who can finish this up. Adjusting the windows in these cars seem to take a specific skill I don’t have, and would like to get it done.

Any help is appreciated.

Chuck

• Sponsors (?)

My advise is to get that book out and try again, is the interior back in the car? If not then you will be paying to take it out and likely put back in, in that case prepare yourself, the possibility of broken trim pieces, screws in the wrong place, ham fisted mechanics (a body shop would be a better choice if you have to have someone else do it) that will tighten a trim screw like it was a head bolt and busting the barrels on the trim, and on top of that hand you a bill for it. I could go on. My point would be to take a deep breath and tackle the job yourself and have the satisfaction of a job well done.
Even if it takes a couple/three rounds.

My advise is to get that book out and try again, is the interior back in the car? If not then you will be paying to take it out and likely put back in, in that case prepare yourself, the possibility of broken trim pieces, screws in the wrong place, ham fisted mechanics (a body shop would be a better choice if you have to have someone else do it) that will tighten a trim screw like it was a head bolt and busting the barrels on the trim, and on top of that hand you a bill for it. I could go on. My point would be to take a deep breath and tackle the job yourself and have the satisfaction of a job well done.
Even if it takes a couple/three rounds.

Yes I bought the book. While it was helpful, there is definitely something I am missing. The interior is still apart. I didn't want someone else taking it apart, because I was afraid their attention to detail wouldn't be up to my standard. It also gave me a chance to give it a thorough cleaning.

Basically all the work is done, it's just getting those damned windows lined up that is flummoxing me. I'm a good 5 hours into just the adjustment part of it. My hands look like hamburger, and while it's better than when I started, it is still off by enough I know I am missing something.

I made about 15 calls today and found 1 potential lead. The body shop idea is a good one, I'll try a few I know in the area with good reputations.

But any recommendations from the group here is certainly appreciated.

How about some local mustang guys around that area? That's a big place so I'm sure there's a local mustang club with quite a few car nuts. I'd rather do that than hire someone. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: 1 user