Mechanical Help 67 Pony

Vivian Ochoa

Jun 25, 2017
Okay, I am new to this. I have a 1967 mustang 289. I've heard of auto mechanic schools that work with cars such as this one to fix for a low price. I am on a super tight budget, therefore I am NOT looking for luxury on this car. It does need ceiling upholstery, exterior paint, seats, windows. In fact, the exterior paint it has, doesn't bother me, no A.C. it doesn't bother me, no stereo, it doesn't bother me. I just want my car to work well. I only want all the mechanical issues to be solved. My father was a great mechanic until 16 years ago when he had an accident that left him paralyzed. I've own this car for five years. With my dad's knowledge and my husband's hands, they were able to make it run. But my car is old, so every time I drive it, I find new mechanical issues. My father is very limited now on helping my husband with the car. Anyways, I just want my car to sound and drive great. I want to enjoy this car. I want to drive on the long roads. The shift gear to change from drive, parking, neutral, etc is loose, it doesn't mark the gas mileage, it doesn't turn on parking, and other issues. I need mechanical help. I don't have a clue about how much money am I talking about. Will it be over 1,000 5,000 or 10,000 or more? I honestly don't know. I am located in El Paso, Texas. HELP

• Sponsors (?)

I moved you to the classic , general talk thread ..
I am from California so i cant help with shops in your area .Some of the small repairs you could do your self ,there are several people here on the forum that can talk you through some of the easier work .Unfortunately some of the repair work you describe will be expensive . What i would do is one thing at a time as you can afford to

I moved you to the classic , general talk thread ..
I am from California so i cant help with shops in your area .Some of the small repairs you could do your self ,there are several people here on the forum that can talk you through some of the easier work .Unfortunately some of the repair work you describe will be expensive . What i would do is one thing at a time as you can afford to
Thank you, Small steps, can't wait to have it on the long road

check the high schools in your area as well as the local community college. if any of them have an automotive program, you can let them do the work on your car. the students get an education, you get the car repaired, and only have to pay for parts and any machine work they cant do.

just remember that there is no warranty on any work they do.

Okay, I am new to this. I have a 1967 mustang 289. I've heard of auto mechanic schools that work with cars such as this one to fix for a low price. I am on a super tight budget, therefore I am NOT looking for luxury on this car. It does need ceiling upholstery, exterior paint, seats, windows. In fact, the exterior paint it has, doesn't bother me, no A.C. it doesn't bother me, no stereo, it doesn't bother me. I just want my car to work well. I only want all the mechanical issues to be solved. My father was a great mechanic until 16 years ago when he had an accident that left him paralyzed. I've own this car for five years. With my dad's knowledge and my husband's hands, they were able to make it run. But my car is old, so every time I drive it, I find new mechanical issues. My father is very limited now on helping my husband with the car. Anyways, I just want my car to sound and drive great. I want to enjoy this car. I want to drive on the long roads. The shift gear to change from drive, parking, neutral, etc is loose, it doesn't mark the gas mileage, it doesn't turn on parking, and other issues. I need mechanical help. I don't have a clue about how much money am I talking about. Will it be over 1,000 5,000 or 10,000 or more? I honestly don't know. I am located in El Paso, Texas. HELP
get on youtube and find the help your husband needs to fix it. the shifter is probably a bushing shot or a loose bolt. If it does not turn easy when standing still, it could be a loose or worn out power steering belt. and maybe there is a neighbor kid that loves cars and will help for the experiance. the early mustangs are great cars to learn on. good luck,