metal vibration/rattling coming from somewhere near transmission

No.11

10 Year Member
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
ive been battling with this noise for a while now. it sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the firewall. i hear it sometimes while accelerating and sometimes also when I depress the clutch to change gears. I can also hear it if I rev in neutral. In 4th and 5th in addition to that I get a more rumbly type of vibration in the steering wheel and shifter, and to a lesser extent in the pedal. It becomes even more noticeable in 5th gear just under 2k RPM. I should probably also note that I get a lot of heat on my right leg after driving for a while. Actually the center console gets kind of hot I'm guessing from the exhaust but I feel it over on the side of my gas pedal leg too. At first I thought it might be a faulty transmission mount causing the noise so I replaced that and the engine mounts, but the sound didn't go away.

I also fixed my previous issue with the driveshaft rubbing on the tunnel which was causing a grinding sound under acceleration when I had more weight on the car. However, this problem is still here. The sound gets even louder next to a wall.

If anybody could help me out by pointing me in the right direction or suggest something to check out I would really, really appreciate it! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a throw-out bearing for the clutch. it would get louder under engine load which would explain why it does it more in 4th and 5th gears , especially under 2k RPM. Will the sound go away if you press the clutch and hold it?

Exhaust will cause your floor to get a bit warm. Shouldn't get that hot though. If you don't have insulation under the carpet, then yeah, it will get a bit hot. But it shouldn't be burning hot. If you are using cats, make sure they still have both of their heat shields on. If they do, then either A. your cats are overheating/plugged... or B. you have a leak in your floorpan allowing more exhaust heat to get inside. Usually is true around the shifter boot.

Sounds like a throw-out bearing for the clutch. it would get louder under engine load which would explain why it does it more in 4th and 5th gears , especially under 2k RPM. Will the sound go away if you press the clutch and hold it?

Exhaust will cause your floor to get a bit warm. Shouldn't get that hot though. If you don't have insulation under the carpet, then yeah, it will get a bit hot. But it shouldn't be burning hot. If you are using cats, make sure they still have both of their heat shields on. If they do, then either A. your cats are overheating/plugged... or B. you have a leak in your floorpan allowing more exhaust heat to get inside. Usually is true around the shifter boot.

When I press the clutch it will make the noise, like if it was spinning something just as I stepped on the clutch. It does kind of go away after a few seconds if I hold the clutch, but I can make the sound go when I rev in neutral.

Ahhhh ok I'll check for insulation then. It makes the cabin really hot, especially on hot days.