• Mustang Forums
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum

Microsquirt tune for stroked 351W in a foxbody

  • Thread starter Thread starter roldy
  • Start date Start date Jul 26, 2026
  • Tags Tags
    microsquirt starting issues tune
R

roldy

New Member
Jul 22, 2020
29
0
1
Missouri
Jul 26, 2026
#1
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • #1
I'm having problems with setting the right parameters in my microsquirt for my setup. When attempting to turn the car over it does not want to fire. I have checked the first cylinder TDC in relation to the distributor rotor and that is good. I have had a buddy turn the distributor while I cranked the engine but nothing. We tested for spark and that checks out. It does smell rich from the 80lb injectors dumping all that fuel in the engine with none burning. I know the base tune would typically work for a 302 and 351. My motor is 460 cu in with 80lb Siemen Deka high impedance injectors. I'm knew to tuning and have done some reading and watched videos and even went the route of asking chatgpt to help determine some settings and areas I need to look into. Would someone more knowledgeable take a look at my file to see if there are any mistakes or areas I have not checked out? I have not attempted to create a log since I haven't been able to even get it running rough.
 

Attachments

  • 351W.msq
    351W.msq
    117.6 KB · Views: 30

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,373
21,580
234
Box behind Walmart
Jul 26, 2026
#2
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • #2
Are you MAF tuning or Speed Density? The tune is running speed density, so the stored MAF curve is currently unused.

Did you enter injector data specific to the part number on your injectors and have fuel pressure adjusted accordingly?

The tune appears saved in fixed 10° timing mode, so the spark table may currently be bypassed. The trigger type, output polarity, dwell arrangement, and TFI/MSD/coil configuration need to match the actual hardware. I don't think you mentioned the ignition system you're using.

Also:

Make a datalog while cranking and post it. The engine does not need to start for the log to be useful; it will show whether the ECU has stable RPM/sync, sane sensor readings, commanded pulse width, battery voltage, and timing during the no-start.
 
R

roldy

New Member
Jul 22, 2020
29
0
1
Missouri
Jul 28, 2026
#3
  • Jul 28, 2026
  • #3
Noobz347 said:
Are you MAF tuning or Speed Density? The tune is running speed density, so the stored MAF curve is currently unused.

Did you enter injector data specific to the part number on your injectors and have fuel pressure adjusted accordingly?

The tune appears saved in fixed 10° timing mode, so the spark table may currently be bypassed. The trigger type, output polarity, dwell arrangement, and TFI/MSD/coil configuration need to match the actual hardware. I don't think you mentioned the ignition system you're using.

Also:

Make a datalog while cranking and post it. The engine does not need to start for the log to be useful; it will show whether the ECU has stable RPM/sync, sane sensor readings, commanded pulse width, battery voltage, and timing during the no-start.
Click to expand...
I will be using speed density. When I was making adjustments I totally forgot I wasn't using MAF. If you're referring to injector size in the Engine and Sequential Settings I did change that according to the cc/min on the website I purchased them from. For ignition I am using a MSD 6AL with Blaster 3 coil into a MSD distributor. I'll be sure to create a data log. I wasn't too sure with the fixed 10 degrees timing mode.
 
8

86HO5.0

Active Member
Apr 18, 2023
262
173
53
Raleigh, NC
Aug 4, 2026
#4
  • Aug 4, 2026
  • #4
The 10 degree fixed timing mode is fine until you verify base timing.

Verify base timing is set correctly. I personally don't see any red flags on your tune. Do you have an OE Ford distributor available for testing purposes?
 
R

roldy

New Member
Jul 22, 2020
29
0
1
Missouri
Aug 10, 2026
#5
  • Aug 10, 2026
  • #5
86HO5.0 said:
The 10 degree fixed timing mode is fine until you verify base timing.

Verify base timing is set correctly. I personally don't see any red flags on your tune. Do you have an OE Ford distributor available for testing purposes?
Click to expand...
I don't have an OE Ford distributor. Me and another guy verified base timing but we'll do it again this Saturday. Attached is the data log.
 

Attachments

  • 2026-08-10_19.02.44.mlg
    2026-08-10_19.02.44.mlg
    92.6 KB · Views: 15

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,373
21,580
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 10, 2026
#6
  • Aug 10, 2026
  • #6
The cranking log shows repeated sync loss (Lost Sync Count reaches 4), and the MAP signal is wildly erratic even with the engine not running. TPS is also sitting around -11.7%.

Before chasing the VE table, I'd sort out the MAP input/calibration and the RPM/trigger sync issue.

Also need to know exactly what distributor/ignition module/coil setup you're using, because the tune is using Fixed Duty dwell.
 
R

roldy

New Member
Jul 22, 2020
29
0
1
Missouri
Aug 11, 2026
#7
  • Aug 11, 2026
  • #7
Noobz347 said:
The cranking log shows repeated sync loss (Lost Sync Count reaches 4), and the MAP signal is wildly erratic even with the engine not running. TPS is also sitting around -11.7%.

Before chasing the VE table, I'd sort out the MAP input/calibration and the RPM/trigger sync issue.

Also need to know exactly what distributor/ignition module/coil setup you're using, because the tune is using Fixed Duty dwell.
Click to expand...
Noobz347 said:
The cranking log shows repeated sync loss (Lost Sync Count reaches 4), and the MAP signal is wildly erratic even with the engine not running. TPS is also sitting around -11.7%.

Before chasing the VE table, I'd sort out the MAP input/calibration and the RPM/trigger sync issue.

Also need to know exactly what distributor/ignition module/coil setup you're using, because the tune is using Fixed Duty dwell.
Click to expand...
Distributor is a MSD Pro-Billet EFI part# 8452 with MSD Blaster 3 part# 8223. Ignition module is MSD 6AL part# 6425. I haven’t done any ignition modification. I’ll have to look into the MAP calibration since I didn’t do any of that after the install. I’ll have to read the install directions again with the trigger. I can’t remember if I find and wire the trigger wire into the connector.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
93 5.0 Microsquirt with Stage 3 trickflow tuning issues
  • marxpreston11
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
  • 2 3 4
Replies
68
Views
2K
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 16, 2026
Qtrhrse23
N
89 Foxbody ON3 Turbo Tuning Help!
  • Ncarter
  • Jul 22, 2024
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
2
Views
710
Digital Self-tuning Forum Jul 27, 2024
Ncarter
N
Hard to start when engine is cold
  • 86_Capri
  • Mar 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
T
  • Locked
Digital Tuning A9l issue or something else
  • Tufgriz
  • Sep 11, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
324
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2025
Noobz347
Weber Carburetor tuning help
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
173
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?