Progress Thread Miss Molly

• Sponsors (?)

What does a crate 3.8 run?

I've found one online that I can order for a little over $1K, without accessories. Most of the accessories on the old motor are brand new/ slightly used, so I'm just going to transfer them over because there is no sense in having that just wasted away. I'll have to buy some extra things like gaskets and I'll probably put in new hoses too, but that's the game plan for the moment. O'reillys and autozone have them w/ accessories for right at $2K and I just don't see the point in spending that extra money when all of the accessories I have were already new.

Reactions: 1 user
I've found one online that I can order for a little over $1K, without accessories. Most of the accessories on the old motor are brand new/ slightly used, so I'm just going to transfer them over because there is no sense in having that just wasted away. I'll have to buy some extra things like gaskets and I'll probably put in new hoses too, but that's the game plan for the moment. O'reillys and autozone have them w/ accessories for right at $2K and I just don't see the point in spending that extra money when all of the accessories I have were already new.
Sounds like a plan. I don't know who the rebuilder is but Google them. Find out what others who have used them think about their purchase. It would hurt to throw a grand at this and end up in the same boat.

Reactions: 1 users
That is for a long block?

Yeah, but I've decided not to use that company. Very, very bad reviews from customers. Might just be doing a head gasket replacement after all. I'm going home from college this weekend and I'm hoping I can put in some quality time with her just to see what all needs to be done or if it's just damage control at this point.

Makes sense, that is way to cheap for a quality unit. You can learn a lot R/R'ing head gaskets and replace a lot of stuff then that would give you grief down the line.

So far, I am no closer to having Molly running than I was the last time I posted. I have such a full course load right now at college and I can't get the time to sit down and take apart everything to look at what all needs to be done to get her back a'rolling. I hope it's soon (because I feel like I'm missing my other half).

Time for a much needed update! So this week I will be ordering the head gasket set and head bolts this week. Was curious to see if there's any preferred brand that works better? I've never had to replace head gaskets before and I would very much like to do it only once. Pictures this weekend!

Side note: will probably have to have my heads remachined, so hopefully within the next month Molly will start breaking necks again.

Not sure what it would cost to have your heads rebuilt/machined.
IMG_2032.PNG

Has good reviews ,may be worth checking into :)

If you are ever planning boost, now would be a good time to replace the head bolts with ARP studs.

No special gaskets needed.
Torque according to ARP specs.
If you do this, order a tube of the ARP oil as well (specifically for torquing ARP hardware).

If you are ever planning boost, now would be a good time to replace the head bolts with ARP studs.

No special gaskets needed.
Torque according to ARP specs.
If you do this, order a tube of the ARP oil as well (specifically for torquing ARP hardware).

Its a V6, I think she is just trying to get a reliable car as inexpensively as possible with her schooling.

Mods will definitely come into play later on down the road, I just want my car back. Because let's be honest - a Hyundai elantra just doesn't turn heads.

Anywho, I came home today to my many boxes of gaskets (I went with the felpro), sealant, and head bolts. I removed the upper intake manifold before it started to rain.

I noticed that it has just a little bit of gunk in there. While I have her taken apart like this I want to clean some of her parts. Any recommendations? I've looked on other forums and sites that say just water and scrubbing is fine. But I don't limit myself on opinions.

Tomorrow, I plan on removing both heads and taking them to get machined, if viable. I'm REALLY hoping that they didn't warp when she overheated and blew the gasket.

I will post pictures in the morning!

Okay, update:

I pressure washed my intake today and now it's clean. I was not able to remove both heads because mother nature likes to play games when I go outside to work on my car. I only have a few more bolts left on the a/c side of having the head off. Hoping tomorrow will be the day I get both off.

As promised, here are pictures

This is after removing the intake manifold
Snapchat-1886342357.jpg

And this is where I have the valve cover removed. I have also taken off the rocker arms and labeled them. Hoping they can be machined on Monday!

Snapchat-1813350950.jpg