Engine Missing and popping under acceleration cold or hot

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Stock 88 5.0 5 spd with an exhaust. Just did spark plugs. Cap and rotor are fairly new as well as spark plugs. New fuel pump and filter. New o2 sensors. Distributor was rebuilr a few years ago.

car has a slightly rough idle. I Pulled codes and has a lean code. I was thinking TFI but it pings, pops and misses even when cold. No vacuum leaks. Not sure what else to check.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah. Im more of a visitor these days checking in from time to time and see the projects on here. Mostly working on my f100 and driving my ‘14 gt lately. I also picked up a project ‘68 camaro.

I did verify timing but not the other two. Ill pull fuel lines at the tank to verify blockage and blow them out then check pressure. Maybe clogged injectors???

Reactions: 1 user
Well, Welcome back,even if it’s only temporary lol. I wouldn’t rule out a sticky/varnished up injector-or same in the fuel lines. When you changed the pump, was it the whole assembly? Or just the pump itself?

New tfi will go in this weekend. Tied up this weekend with life stuff so not much work will get done. I think i mentioned the 56 f100 in the past but i was informed there wouldnt be much interest so i left it alone. Its had a few changes like most projects like different power plants and suspension/cross memeber changes. Currently it has a ‘18 f150 coyote motor 10r80 sitting between the frame rails. I boxed the frame for a little more rigidity. Had a wiring harness made and the computer reprogrammed to remove vats.

Thats correct. Still has the crown vic k member but the 4.6 is long gone. I got an 12 coyote motor but sold that to fund another project. Then i found this 18 f150 motor and trans with 6k miles for $4500. Couldnt pass it up.

I found the issue with the foxbody. Crossed wires #2 and #7 at the dizzy. Car runs great now.

• Hell Yeah!
Thats correct. Still has the crown vic k member but the 4.6 is long gone. I got an 12 coyote motor but sold that to fund another project. Then i found this 18 f150 motor and trans with 6k miles for $4500. Couldnt pass it up.

I found the issue with the foxbody. Crossed wires #2 and #7 at the dizzy. Car runs great now.
Glad it was something simple to fix. :nice:
Coyote swapped pick up sounds pretty sweet, last I remember -it was still pretty much in the disassemble/planning stage right?
And..... Didn’t ya have a ‘60-sumthin’ Mustang project going too?

yeah. It was in a lot of pieces. But the can and bed are back on it.

I recently sold one of my 65 mustangs when I bought my 68 camaro. I still have my wifes 65 mustang that had a rebuilt roller 302. Was going to go T5 but now she wants an auto so im going to sell the manual.

Attachments

• CEBFD7FD-88C9-423B-9196-613A5473732C.jpeg
    CEBFD7FD-88C9-423B-9196-613A5473732C.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 1 users