MM PHB going in, exhaust decision to make

ScortLX

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2001
Parker, Colorado
Hey everyone. I'm putting a MM PHB on the car next month and my current Magnaflow catback will not fit with it on. It was installed by an exhaust shop and welded everywhere as well as not alligned very well. So, I have a decision to make. I have a very trusted shop by me and I was planning on going to them for the exhaust work. To cut the existing tails off the car and custom mandrel bend new pipes over the axle and PHB and reinstall the tails, it will cost me about $430 total with tax. Steep price, but I know it will be done right. My Magnaflow system has been on the car for 5-6 years now.

My question is: Do I keep the existing 5-6 year old Magnaflow system and pay to have it fabricated to fit for $430, or do I look at a new system that has been shown to fit with the PHB like the SLP Power-flo for just a bit more? I like the way the car sounds now, but I also like the fact that I could get a new system for about the same price. Just looking for opinions! Thanks everyone! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone. I'm putting a MM PHB on the car next month and my current Magnaflow catback will not fit with it on. It was installed by an exhaust shop and welded everywhere as well as not alligned very well. So, I have a decision to make. I have a very trusted shop by me and I was planning on going to them for the exhaust work. To cut the existing tails off the car and custom mandrel bend new pipes over the axle and PHB and reinstall the tails, it will cost me about $430 total with tax. Steep price, but I know it will be done right. My Magnaflow system has been on the car for 5-6 years now.

My question is: Do I keep the existing 5-6 year old Magnaflow system and pay to have it fabricated to fit for $430, or do I look at a new system that has been shown to fit with the PHB like the SLP Power-flo for just a bit more? I like the way the car sounds now, but I also like the fact that I could get a new system for about the same price. Just looking for opinions! Thanks everyone! :nice:

now is a perfect opportunity to change up the way your car sounds. if you know of an exhaust set up that you like the sound of, i would consider it if its just a little more than the work you need to get done anyway. however if youre unsure if you will like how t his new system will sound then perhaps you should stick with something you know you like.

I would go with a new system. To my knowledge only one of the pipes will interfere with the PHB. Heck you may bolt it up and find that your current system actually works since MM has not tested all the exhausts out there.

Yeah, I may try to bolt the PHB up to the exhaust the way it sits right now just to see. Issue is that my existing system had to be dimpled because the axle tube was hitting it at full compression sometimes. Looking at pictures of an installed PHB, if mine was already hitting the axle tube, then I don't know how it would clear the PHB. We'll see :shrug:

now is a perfect opportunity to change up the way your car sounds. if you know of an exhaust set up that you like the sound of, i would consider it if its just a little more than the work you need to get done anyway. however if you're unsure if you will like how t his new system will sound then perhaps you should stick with something you know you like.

I was kind of looking it like that as well. I've never heard the Power-flo on any car though and mustangexhaust and youtube have no/hardly any clips of the system on a Mustang. I bought the Magnaflow back before it was popular and now its everywhere, so I do think being a little different would be good again. :nice:

Or run dumps:shrug: That's how mine is now and im keeping like that since i want a phb

I hear ya. Dumps just aren't my style. I've always loved the tips out the back, so I just gotta try to figure this out. Thanks for the suggestion though man! :)

I was in the same position as you.

I've tried a couple of things:

1) Dynomax makes some tailpipes that will bolt up, but don't fit overly well. It DOES work though.

2) I currently have the Pypes catback and it fit the PHB with no problems.. It's cheaper than $430 too and it's stainless like the Magnaflow.

Riley

I was in the same position as you.

I've tried a couple of things:

1) Dynomax makes some tailpipes that will bolt up, but don't fit overly well. It DOES work though.

2) I currently have the Pypes catback and it fit the PHB with no problems.. It's cheaper than $430 too and it's stainless like the Magnaflow.

Riley

Thanks for the info. How does it sound? I've seen Pypes here and there but have no real experience with them. Does it look like a quality system? If you have any sound clips let me know! Thanks! :nice:

Here's my setup right now:

- MAC longtubes
- Lethal Performance Catted X pipe for MAC longtubes
- Pypes Violator Catback.

Honestly, it sounds fantastic. It's the best sounding exhaust I've heard yet. However, It does get a little loud *for me* cruising around town. Really, it's not that loud though.

I was thinking about swapping the Violator mufflers for the Magnaflow ones.

Riley

Scort, I was in the same predicament as you when I installed my PHB. I will tell you for a fact that the Magnaflow catback wont fit, because thats what I had on my car. A muffler shop had to hack up my tailpipes & it was never quite right. I then picked up some flowmaster tails & they fit great.

I dunno if this has changed since I installed mine 2+ years ago, but the only catbacks that were proven to fit at the time were stock, dynomax, & flowmaster.

If you like the current sound of your car, I would just pay the shop to make you some custom tails, but if you think you could use a change, try something new out, but just make sure it is definitely going to fit because then you will be back to square 1 again...

Scort, I was in the same predicament as you when I installed my PHB. I will tell you for a fact that the Magnaflow catback wont fit, because thats what I had on my car. A muffler shop had to hack up my tailpipes & it was never quite right. I then picked up some flowmaster tails & they fit great.

I dunno if this has changed since I installed mine 2+ years ago, but the only catbacks that were proven to fit at the time were stock, dynomax, & flowmaster.

If you like the current sound of your car, I would just pay the shop to make you some custom tails, but if you think you could use a change, try something new out, but just make sure it is definitely going to fit because then you will be back to square 1 again...

Thanks Dustin! I know I asked your opinion on this a little while ago, but I'm rethinking it now because the prices have changed. It's now a difference of $25 between the custom work on the existing system and the SLP. I do like the way it sounds right now, so that does slightly worry me. I also haven't tried any other exhaust besides my existing setup, so I may just like it because It's been on the car for so long!

I think the main thing is verifying that the SLP or any other exhaust would fit before I go that direction. Last thing I want to do is put the new system on and have issues. Thanks everyone! :nice: