Mod motor, 5lug, disc brake swap question

agotay84

Nov 18, 2005
I know this subject has been beat to death but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I'll apalogize in advance for the long winded post.

I've picked up a clean 88 5.0 shell as a project for my daughter and I. We're going to swap in a 4.6, 5 lug, disc brakes, dash board/interior. Hoping to pick up a 99-04 GT (pi motor) with most of what we need. I know I'll have to get the rear end out of an older model to get the correct track width. My questions are in regards to the front suspension/k member geometry. The plan is to use the k member, stearing rack, lower control arms, spindles, brakes, etc out of the donor.

Will using the donor k member eliminate any of the issue associated with the 96+ spindles?

Should I use the donor lca's or keep the fox's?

I'm trying to get this done as economically as possible. I know there are aftermarket k members and suspension components. Just want to get it running and driving. Upgrades can come later.

Please don't beat me up to bad.
Thanks in advance for any input

• Sponsors (?)

If you use the 96+ K-member, it will drop the steering rack down the appropriate amount to allow you to use the 96+ spindles.

You'll want to run the fox body A-arms however, as the SN95 a-arms are about 3/4" wider each side. It will give you some extreme camber.

Reactions: 1 user
Aside from the camber issue (a good set of camber/caster plates can take care of that) the other issue could be track width at the front. Now it is not a super big issue, but you will need to chose the correct wheel width and back spacing to make it work right.

I tried SN95 tubular lca's on a fox modified OEM k-member (I did the Mathis lca relocation mod) and found they were too long. My rims are 16x8 with a 0 or +8 offset. It is a little hard to see in these pics, but if you look at tire to fender lip clearance you can see the difference.

IMG_1063.JPG SN95 lca's

IMG_1447.JPG fox lca's

I hear you with the budget build. They are lots of fun and will make a great project for you and your daughter. Back in '94 I did an interior swap, '88 into an '83. It took me a full week to gut 2 interiors and another full week to install the new one and get everything working.

Thanks for the quick response guys. Definitely gonna stick with the fox arms. Getting a sweet deal an a 2nd hand aje kmember. Gonna use the stock fox arms for now. What should I do for the steering? Sn rack and fox linkage?

I used '01 spindles with my set up. I ended up using offset rack bushings to lower the rack (most use them to raise the rack). So with the k-member mods, '01 spindles, lowered ride height, rack offset down - I did not need a bump steer kit to get steering arm and control arm centers parallel. I did still need c/c plates because I lowered it to get alignment right.

If you are using SN spindles, go with SN rack and tie rods (may need to shorten the inner rods - probably 3/4" per side as I am not sure if you can adjust tie rods short enough without doing this) so that you know the connection from tie rod to spindle will not be an issue.

I can't remember if the taper on the spindle end of the tie rod is the same for fox and SN's. If so, sure, go with fox linkage (this is the length you will need with fox lca's).

If you go SN95 rack, you'll need the hybrid Fox steering shaft adapter....unless of course you are swapping in the entire SN95 steering column as well with the dash

If I did my swap later in time when swap parts were plentiful, I would break out the wallet and buy an Maximum motorsports front end setup.
Costly? Yes, but no other company does quality and engineering like them.
For the record, I have an AJE k member and I pretty much hate that company, they did so many people wrong in the mod swap community and then refused to rectify the issues.

I personally would keep it simple.
Fox arms, fox rear, sn95 spindles.
Trying to save money by using 96+ parts, could very well cost you more money in the long run if you run into clearance issues.

And the first thing I would be sorting out is the hydroboost. MM has parts to swap them into a fox, something else that didn't exist years ago.

Last edited: