Mod motor guys...need experienced advice/opinions about 4.6 longevity...

• Sponsors (?)

Back2Mustangs said:
1996 GT...driven by some guy for around 300 miles a weeks, he says. Car has 144K miles. I'm thinking, "worn out!"...I may buy this car, and if I do I'm already planning to build a new bottom end for it with a DSS iron block and forged internals. If this was a 302 with 140K on it I wouldn't worry hardly at all, but I don't know how long these recycled beer-can motors last! :D Please give me some advice on what condition this motor should be in for the miles it has. Thanks to all in advance.

If taken care of its just as reliable as a old 5.0.

Beer can motors LOL they can hold/make more power than the average 5.0 with just bolt ons..

There are many of us that have put the 4.6 thru the ringer..My original stock motor had over 98k miles on it and looked like new and ran great..I pulled it to install my forged setup and blower..

Stock block ,forged internals..

Back2Mustangs said:
How many miles have you put on the bottom end @ 621HP?

Had a fuel pump issue and killed the last setup But i had 13k miles on the last setup 555rwhp and no issues and ran great..

Current setup has already gone 5k miles..She is a daily driver so it has to be reliable..I have a beater back up but enjoy the car to much to let her sit..