Modular motor or rebuild

theautomatics

Dec 6, 2007
Chicago
Well I've come across a modular motor with 30k from a 2005 lincoln towncar. I've got a 67' mustang coupe. I know the mod motors are a bit wide and the shock towers on 67's are tall and would need to be modified.

I'd like 350-400 rwhp. With the mod motor I'd have to throw a blower on it. My other option is to keep my 289 block (not a roller block) and rebuild it making it a 331 with around 350 rwhp. What other options do I have? I'll be going with a new trans to match either engine. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

mod motor

The shock towers have to be notched in order to put those motors in a 67 engine bay. That means that your front suspension has to be completely redone. It is usually cheaper to rebuild or buy a crate motor than to put a mod motor in. For example your supercharger would cost usually at least $2,000. A Mustang II front suspension would be at least $1,500. For that same money you could buy a 302 stroker that had around 330 Hp.

Since you have plenty of room for it, why not just do a 351 stroker? The stroker kit is the most expensive part of the build anyway, unless you already have the 289 block machined, good heads, and other small block specific performance parts. A fairly mild 392 or 408 would give you 400 rwhp no problem and still be nice to drive.

I don't know why anyone would contemplate a Mod swap in these cars when the FE's and 429/460's fit without cutting anything. I'd also agree with VT on the stroker Windsor option though, it's a bolt in swap from a 289. So would a Cleveland too, both std stroke and stroker.

the modular swap is going to be a PITA because of the wiring. Its not the same as the mustangs. Unless you are really good with electrical wiring diagrams and love wiring, its not worth messing with.

my thoughts exactly on the 351W swap stroked to 408. Instant 300+ rwhp with stock heads, cam, and intake. Throw on some basic aftermarket heads, cam, intake, and carb and 400+ is easy.

I'm currently in the middle of installing a 4.6DOHC in my 67. I'm not doing it because it's easy. I've done the simple swaps and wanted a challenge. This is not an easy task. EVERYTHING has to be modified. Elecrtrical, fuel system, exhaust, cooling, HVAC, suspension, sheet metal, gauges, transmission and/or driveshaft, etc... There are simpler ways to do the mod swap but it will take more time and money than you expect and way more than doing a 289/302/351 stroker.

This isn't a daily driver and probably won't befinished for another year. I probably won't do it again but I have no regrets. It's overcoming the obsticles that drives me in this project. If it's your first engine build/swap don't do the mod. If you need to have the car up and running soon don't do the mod. If you're on a budget don't do the mod.

Otherwise it's fun and you can learn alot.

Hot Rod has a neat article on the 4.6 mod motor in thier "Junkyard Jewel" series this month.

If I could get one in an engine bay with the stock shock towers, I think I would just because you can do it mega cheap and it'd be different.