Motor Mounts

If they ain't broke, don't fix them.
The original mounts for my 87 literally fell apart when I removed and replaced them 2 years ago. They were way worse than they appeared in the car. Yours may be in the same condition due to age. I replaced the engine and transmission mounts with a poly kit from energy suspension and am very happy with the results.

The right side rear mount tends to seize in the block so use caution not to snap the bolt off like I did and create a mess for yourself. But I suggest the energy suspension mounts. No clearance issues.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The original mounts for my 87 literally fell apart when I removed and replaced them 2 years ago. They were way worse than they appeared in the car. Yours may be in the same condition due to age. I replaced the engine and transmission mounts with a poly kit from energy suspension and am very happy with the results.

The right side rear mount tends to seize in the block so use caution not to snap the bolt off like I did and create a mess for yourself. But I suggest the energy suspension mounts. No clearance issues.
My original engine mounts looked OK when the engine went back in a couple of years ago, but I asked the question wondering if the 36-year-old rubber should be proactively replaced. I think I’ll just wait to see…

Bill

I would say yes. The problem is i don't have faith in the new rubber mounts for our cars. If brand new Ford rubber mounts were available, I would whole-heartedly recommend them. But the cheapo mounts for our cars on the market today leave a lot to be desired.

Read up some of the reviews on these and you'll see there are issues with them not fitting properly, or having one side higher than the other.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
My original engine mounts looked OK when the engine went back in a couple of years ago, but I asked the question wondering if the 36-year-old rubber should be proactively replaced. I think I’ll just wait to see…

Bill
Yes they should be replaced in my opinion regardless of how they looked they have to be worn by this point even just due to age. Have you brake revved the engine to see how much it moves? That would give you some indication of the mounts condition. It works best with two people, one in the car, one watching the engine.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes they should be replaced in my opinion regardless of how they looked they have to be worn by this point even just due to age. Have you brake revved the engine to see how much it moves? That would give you some indication of the mounts condition. It works best with two people, one in the car, one watching the engine.
@Gs1987GT, yes, your thought process seems to be much like mine, hence the original question. I have revved the engine up and there's no significant movement at this point.

Bill

Has anyone checked the price on the poly mounts lately? Like everything else, they have gone up in price by quite a bit. The kit with all three from Energy got really pricey. I'll have to dig up an old catalog to see what they were going for a couple of years ago. I'm glad I bought mine when I did, I don't know if I would both for nearly $300 now!

Reading this thread has got me thinking about my driveline angle. When I swapped engine and transmission mounts (solid motor and parts store rubber transmission) I noticed a very slight vibe when cruising at low rpm's in 5th. I've lived with it but now I'm wondering if I would benefit from a shorter trans mount. I thought I remembered seeing a comparison of different trans mounts showing the height difference but now I can't seem to find it.

Reading this thread has got me thinking about my driveline angle. When I swapped engine and transmission mounts (solid motor and parts store rubber transmission) I noticed a very slight vibe when cruising at low rpm's in 5th. I've lived with it but now I'm wondering if I would benefit from a shorter trans mount. I thought I remembered seeing a comparison of different trans mounts showing the height difference but now I can't seem to find it.
I changed out the "Made in India" worthless replacement mounts for some Urethane motor mounts in my 67 Dodge when I got it running years ago .... Pretty major change in vibration after......Nowhere near as smooth as the "stock" mounts were....
DSCF0947.JPG

Last edited:
I’ll be honest, I do have some saved searches on eBay for NOS rubber mounts. If I see a set, I will be scooping them up to install.

I managed to find a nos trans rubber mount, so the ES poly mount that was there now lives on top of my tool box. The ES poly engine mounts will join it on day….maybe.

Mustang5L5: Good call checking Amazon. I always forget that they carry a lot of these parts now. It looks like their prices are more reasonable than the usual places - they must not have received the memo to raise them yet! (I still want to dig up my old receipt, I vaguely remember this kit being $160 back in the day.)​

1649610085978.png

1649610146637.png