MSD Tach Adaptor Once and For All

madams74

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Maryville, TN
Noticed a lot of folks have asked this question at one time or another on MSD Ignition modules having the tach output. It is official as of today that you DO NOT have to use an MSD Tach Adapter with a factory Mustang gauge. I used a tach adapter thinking I needed it and my tach bounced all over the place. I attempted to use the tach output directly from the MSD ignition module to the tach and then it started working properly. Now I have an adaptor that will be used for an aftermarket tach I guess. Unless I buy an Autometer, because they state in their directions that they do not need an adapter. This should help anyone searching this in the future.

• Sponsors (?)

Its been awhile since I was in the dash but if you follow the plastic layover piece attached to the back of the cluster you will see the copper trace that runs to the tach. You have to picture in your head the connector and then pick the wire. The wiring print says it is the Tan / Yellow Stripe OR the Orange / White Stripe. Sorry that is all I can help you with.

when i added my MSD box i didnt have to do anything to the stock tach

It all depends on what your setting up. I do not have a stock distributor, wiring , or anything remotely related to the OEM setup. I have a vacuum advance distributor, a 6AL box, and an MSD coil. Nothing in the stock system exists in my setup. Dont get confused folks.