Exhaust Muffler Recommendation For '00 V6

newedgejay

Aug 24, 2014
South Carolina
Five days ago I got my hands on a clean asf 2000 v6 straight drive. As of now, it has 100% stock exhaust. It sound decent, but it does not sound like a true Mustang in my opinion. I understand that it is a V6 and you can only get so much out of it before you cross the threshold of sounding like a riced out straight piped Honda. But my question is, what muffler would sound best on my 3.8? I'd like a few opinions before i go out and drop 300$ on something I may not like.

• Sponsors (?)

I swapped to duals on my v6, and I got a really throaty sound from a simple JEGS racing exhaust kit manufactured for the car. I don't know if you were looking to do a dual conversion, but the system is only about $250 and it is really easy to install and it is made to hang under the stock v6 bumper, but I just went ahead and picked up a gt rear for cheap. It is a really deep throaty sound and is nothing like a ricer fart box.

By conversion do you mean one of those kits that bolts up to the stock Ypipe? Where did you buy it? My absolute first choice would be true duals, a cat on each side, and a muffler on each with exhaust run out the back (straight, not turn down like the original pipe). I called a local shop and they said it'd be 300$ total.

I did all mine myself. And I thought I wanted true duals but I took a gamble on this set up and it really paid off. You can buy it directly from the JEGS website. I believe is is just called 99-04 mustang v6 racing exhaust. The only thing you have to do to install it is torch the old hangers and this bolts directly on to the car. By kit I mean it comes with all the hardware necessary to install straight out of the box.

I recommend bbk headers with xpipe off roads with flowmaster super 40s. It's very load but will give you around 10 to 20 hp. Depending if you tune it. But it gives a very very deep raspy sound like the v8s. If you want to quite it down have it catted. It will run you around 600 to 700 bucks