Multiple Misfire Codes

splinterddt

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2000
Florence, CO, U.S.A.
I am stumped at what is causing multiple codes on my wife's car, 2006 stock 4.0 V6. I had recently replaced spark plugs and fuel filter. A couple weeks later, I noticed it idling rough at a stop light. Then found out the "check engine" light was also on. I ran the codes it came back with multiple cylinder misfire, misfire on cylinders 1, 2, and 3, and fuel lean on bank 2. I had put standard plugs in, so bought a set of double platinums, did not help. I realized I didn't replace the plug wires, so got a set and again no help. I replaced the O2 sensors on the passenger side, again no improvement. I checked continuity on the injectors, and they all tested good. I'm thinking about replacing the other O2 sensors, but think it will not help. I've read several threads and there are all kinds of suggestions. Does anyone know something I overlooked?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Sorry to hear. Ok, 4.0’s EDIS,
IMHO, I’d first suggest cessation of throwing more new parts at it unless they are confirmed bad, it’ll honestly only confuse the issues further.
Your lean code is because of the misfires, excess O2 as it’s not burning it off in the combustion process the sensor’s picking up.
-What are the actual codes that showed, initially?
-After clearing them out, same DTC’s returned?
€ Need to find out if the injectors are being fired, & if there’s fuel at them, if there’s spark at the wires, Cyl’sv#1, #2, #3.
1) Pull #1 wire & clip on a spark tester or old plug, sitting on a ground, or clamp an inductive light on. Have someone turn it over & Start it, just long enough to test.(?)
2) You can put a finger on the misfiring injectors as the car’s started, see if they’re firing, feel the “click”(?).
3) If you smell/smelled fuel, it’s likely there, pull a plug & see if it’s wet.(?)
What you find above will generalize how to proceed.
If spark related, since the 4.0 has 1-2-3 cylinders all on the passenger bank, check to see if any wiring or connectors were disturbed near where you were working- May have pinched one, just shorting out now.
If injectors are not firing, check the injector harness from end to end. Any connectors, pull them, make certain there’s good contacts/clean, check grounds.
If no fuel, there may be a blockage in the beginning of the rail, or a failed injector drowning it’s cylinder & causing a fuel pressure drop, leaning out the others & fouling them. Less likely.
Try & borrow a decent Scantool from someone for a day or 2 if you can.
My Cell Battery’s at 2%. I’ll see what you post tomo- err, later today.
Best of luck!
-John

Codes are P174, P175, P300, P301, P302, and P303. When I clear the, same ones return.
I changed the fuel filter because that was the last thing from the tune up that I changed. Again no help. Checked power to the injectors, all are good. Checked pulse at negative side of injectors, all test good. Tested voltage at MAF, it tests good but should effect all cylinders. Put spark tester on all the wires and getting constant spark to all. I think next step is to pull the injectors, inspect and clean them.

Hi, Sorry this is still occurring, didn’t see wasn’t a return response, though you pinned down the gremlin...Ok.
Do the cylinders come to life during start-up, then act up- or, nothing’s firing, no heat on the manifold on that bank?
Pulling injectors is a decent option, if media escaped during the filter swap, travelled up to that rail first & may well have been pulled into injectors of cyl’s 1-2-3 by demand.
Just for sanity, may want to check that your plug locations on the coil are in their proper positions...stack-up errors happen..
With the rich/lean codes, take a peek at your plugs, read the electrodes to see if they do reflect lean or rich conditions. It’ll also support as to whether fuel or spark related.
Pull the dipstick & rub some oil on the fingers, if fuel laden-I’d change it.
If fuel’s verified & nothing changes, I’d grab a spark tester to verify your Coil’s delivering a spark that will actually bridge the plug gap(s) on the 1-2-3 Bank. Voltage present, but is current available to back it up? That Coil-pack’s comprised of (3) independent coils delivering a spark to (2) cylinders simultaneously.
If aftermarket, look closer.
A clogged cat from an overly rich mixture (leaky injector) would also be a concern. Look for a heat affected zone on the passenger side Cat
(as compared 4-5-6’s)..
Check over your vacuum lines carefully, did you ever get a fuel pressure reading, regulated & non regulated?
If it turns out there’s fuel, adequate spark, no exhaust restriction, it’s time to view timing, the way you explained things, coming on slowly, not as likely, but if you jumped time a tooth in the passenger bank, this would all line up.
Motor is still running at this point?
Not overdoing it, viewing some live Scantool systemic data may be helpful, you have access to one to use with that capability?
Was there a power loss at driving RPM’s prior to/once you first noted the rough idle, or was it strictly a rough idle?
-John

When I first bought my Stang, back in November 19, the ECM was clean. I ran 93 octane in it for awhile, but soon found I had a code for Random Misfire. I stopped running 93 and run 91 now, and the code hasn't come back. Weird? Maybe the 93 has too much alcohol in it, to get to 93. However, it doesn't affect my Lightning or Ranger the same way.

Will be purchasing a BAMA tuner soon, and heard you can get a 93 octane tune in it. Will try 93 again once that is done.

Hi, Well- Higher Octane numbers protect combustion from spontaneously occurring in high temperatures, e.g. misfires, detonation, spark knock. In your situation, it almost seems inverted.
The Alcohol and other additives within the fuel can break these properties down. There’s always the possibility that the fuel you filled with was problematic.
Looking at the date of your 1st post and described timeline, the butterfly effect of the Pandemic occurred quite some time before most realized, fuel importing has changed suppliers and methods used for refining are differentiate with each Mfg.
That’s certainly something to think about.
Is there some vulnerability your motor has, making it more susceptible to this versus your other vehicles?
Well, this motor can be safely run at lower Octane levels, whereas your Lightning, for instance, requires high octane fuel, it’s running fine on the same sourced fuel..
If there’s something that’s creating a vulnerability, it will eventually reveal itself in some fashion. For now, logic is to run the fuel that is not doing any harm, setting off CEL’s.
Getting a 93 Octane tune for the Car will advance the timing a bit, and will richen your mixture during hard acceleration.
With BAMA, You’ll have a low octane & high octane tune specific to your desires, any mods.If you run the high octane tune with 87 octane, due to the same misfire CEL’s, the outcome will be spark knock if you find the same issue exists.
If you choose to run that high octane tune, I’d add only a small anoint of high octane fuel to the tank (few gallons) to see how things go. If you need to revert to stock, you won’t have a tankful of high octane fuel to deal with.
You’d need to drive it very gently. The handheld will also allow you to add RPM specific timing or global timing across the entire range. Same with fuel, you’ll be able to tweak your custom tune, slightly.
I’d use caution regarding a tune as if there’s an underlying issue, you want to catch it prior to tuning.
How much vacuum is it pulling at an idle?
Running the vehicle while data logging will show you things when you replay it frame by frame if something seems a bit unusual. Drive cycle monitoring is another highly useful tool utilizing OBD-2 diagnostics.
02 sensors, and Camshaft position sensors are examples of sensors that a vehicle may not always throw a code for, if out of range, and intermittent issues, e.g. bad connections may also not throw codes.
If there’s an issue, and you get a tune, have an issue, the handheld will datalog it, BAMA will view it and see why it’s doing what it’s doing. Good luck with it, and please feel free to post any other issues that may arise.
Best!
-John

Well, at the present all I have is a handheld device for detecting CELs. And there is nothing. Engine is quiet and purrs like a kitten. No knocks or ticks. I do have a WeaponR intake on it and wonder if that has leaned the mixture out just a tad, so that if the 93 uses alcohol to reach that octane number, it's lean enough to cause the Random Misfire code. I intend on doing a cat back dual exhaust soon, and figure that will lean it even more. So that is the reason I want the BAMA tuner.

And yes, I know if I have a 93 octane tune loaded, I cannot run 87. I never buy 87 for anything. The lowest I buy is 90. I have five vehicles, three of which require high octane. The Lightning, my 2006 Suzuki M109R and my 2008 Suzuki B-King. All are 91 octane minimum vehicles, and I feel using 93 is better, since all three are modded. And then there is the 98 Ranger V-6, which pings on anything less than 93. It's modded and likely has 22 years and 168,000 miles of carbon deposits, which Ford says is a problem on these vehicles.

So since I run the 93 in four vehicles, I started using it in the Mustang soon after buying it. And got the CEL for the random misfire the next day. I turned off the CEL multiple times and it came back the next day. I bought the car in late November and started using 93 the first fill up. Got the CEl next day. Switched to 91, turned off CEL, it didn't once back after two tanks. Switched to 93 again, CEL on next day. Did this back and forth switching until this month, when I decided F-IT, I'm just going to use 91. Haven't seen a CEL since.

Meanwhile, if I put 91 in my Ranger, it sounds like it's going to self-destruct. On 93 it purrs like a kitten. No CEL. It's the weirdest thing. Maybe this thing needs a tune! LMAO!

My reading says that random misfires are the result of being lean. So my thinking is that a tuner allowing me to fatten the mixture is a good thing.

Anyway, 93 is really difficult to find in Oklahoma, except for this one station three miles from me. He gets it shipped in from Arkansas, believe it is Shell V-Power 93 since that is all over the place in Arkansas. He told me he thinks it uses Methanol as an octane booster. If that is true, I should probably not use it at all. Methanol is worse than ethanol as to what it can do to fuel system components. However, been using it in my Ranger since like 2006 and never had one lick of a problem with it.

In Oklahoma, the pump has to say if the fuel has alcohol in it. Rule of law, has to. His pump doesn't say Alcohol. Hmmmm........................

Last picture, Lightnings engine. See why it needs 93? ;-)

Attachments

• 01010059.JPG
    01010059.JPG
    553.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 01010006.JPG
    01010006.JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 192
  • f3fac1d7c1538a50849c53f6e466f6510_l.jpg
    f3fac1d7c1538a50849c53f6e466f6510_l.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 01010054.JPG
    01010054.JPG
    571 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Hi,
Very nice collection! Have a difficulty in keeping things stock as well, lol. FI App’s don’t get along with low Octane, if it’s not happy, you won’t be! Always liked that genre’ of the Rangers, esp. with those OE Rims.
Anything that affects the quality of the combustion process may cause detonation. Possible the Mustang’s programming wasn’t fiddled with or runs a
canned tune? Think you’re doing the right thing by running the fuel(s) the vehicles prefer, if everything else is on. If a Sensor/Mech issue is occurring,
it’ll certainly show up.
Methanol within gasoline unlisted at the pump is a likely result of it being at/below the ASTM’s allowance of </= 2.5% (by Volume). May not be obligated to post it at that level, but uncertain.
Monetary move to offset Gasoline’s cost, substantiated by neglible emission reduction.More harm than good for this App.
Methanol (Methyl) yields roughly 50% the potency of gasoline, Ethanol (Ethyl) yields near 70%. As Methanol is cheaper to produce than Ethanol, it’s intent becomes more clear. A Bureaucratic move.
An improved cost effective dilution solution component of gasoline than Ethanol, VS. an Octane booster, and not without consequence.
As you’d mentioned regarding your fuel system, Methanol is a Corrosive, and eats certain plastics & attacks certain metals used in fuel systems such as Aluminum, Magnesium, and Rubber. It’s also an electrical conductor, whereas gasoline alone is considered a dielectric.Methanol is also explosive in a closed container.
Another hazard doesn’t sit right with me when running an in tank electric Fuel pumps.
Good luck!
-John

Reactions: 1 user
So the weirdest thing happened today. I had topped the tank off with 91 and went out hauling ass around my favorite curvy road. Got home, saw I had used exactly two gallons, put two gallons of that 93 I had in a container in the garage, new Monday. Went back out with a cigar and enjoyed it, noticed the car seemed to be misfiring on high throttle applications. Came home, worked out, went to din-din at my favorite restaurant. Coming home, the check engine light came on for P0300, Random misfire. Haven't used the 93 in a month, haven't seen the code in a month. Put in two gallons, the code came back.

WTF is wrong with that gas? And why doesn't it affect my 98 V-6 3.0 Ranger or 5.4 blown Lightning? I don't get it. Two gallons out of a full tank and BOOM, Random misfire. Maybe I should stop using that gas in everything I own.

So the weirdest thing happened today. I had topped the tank off with 91 and went out hauling ass around my favorite curvy road. Got home, saw I had used exactly two gallons, put two gallons of that 93 I had in a container in the garage, new Monday. Went back out with a cigar and enjoyed it, noticed the car seemed to be misfiring on high throttle applications. Came home, worked out, went to din-din at my favorite restaurant. Coming home, the check engine light came on for P0300, Random misfire. Haven't used the 93 in a month, haven't seen the code in a month. Put in two gallons, the code came back.

WTF is wrong with that gas? And why doesn't it affect my 98 V-6 3.0 Ranger or 5.4 blown Lightning? I don't get it. Two gallons out of a full tank and BOOM, Random misfire. Maybe I should stop using that gas in everything I own.
Hi,
Yikes! Think I’d take a sample & have it tested, lol.
Try another spot that has 93 as reference, couple 5gallon jugs..realize it may be a hike.
-I’d reset codes and try running a drive cycle with your Scantool to afterwards see what’s occurring by reviewing timing, fuel trim, pressure, etc. frame by frame before & during the time when the CEL is thrown.
-Then run 91 Octane and record live data, compare the two.
Vehicle’s intended to be run on low octane fuel. Shouldn’t affect anything with higher octane, only one I’m aware of is a flaky knock sensor getting set off by the slightly more intense combustion events, pulling timing.
Plug heat range incorrect or gapped wide.
-Possibility of a clogged Cat that hits higher temps with the additional energy produced.
-02 Sensors being tricked into leaning out your mixture. Ethyl, Methyl, Carbonized?
Did you ever get a Tuner?
~>The Vehicle’s especially vulnerable, need to find out why. If your FI Lightning has run it, no issues, the quality really should be OK.
Pull your plugs & see what they have to say.
Just so you know....
If you can, find out the percentages of Methanol, Ethanol from the station.
Owner should have an MSDS on each grade of fuel, which will list Chemicals & %’s.
4.0’s had issues with overactive PCV systems, pulling oil into the intake & Carbonizing the Chambers. You’d done both a leak down & Compression test. Good-yes?
Have a Borescope to inspect the combustion chambers?
Try installing an inline filter in your PCV system.
Drop to colder spark plugs (motorcraft agsf-22c-f6).
Does the 93 alone have the Methyl, or is it also in the 91?
OBKB!
-John
Good link for future high Octane needs in a pinch, Toluene or Xylene and octane #’s.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

I don't have a tuner yet, only a device to read and delete codes. I put new factory plugs in it back in February, along with coils and wires. I don't know what any of the gas has in it. Only that for a month I've run the 91 with no codes. Put two gallons of 93 in today, and Boom, code is back on the same day. When I pulled the original plugs to put the new ones in, they looked good to me. I didn't know the 4.0 had knock sensors, I've read they don't. The 93 is only available from one station here where I live, and he has it trucked in from Arkansas. I believe it is Shell 93 fuel, as it is all over Arkansas. It just boggles my mind that one particular vehicle can have so much sensitivity to it. I'll go easy on it for awhile, then top it off with more 91 and just never use the 93 again. I did the two gallon thing today out of curiosity, to see if such a small amount would cause an issue. It sure did.

It's in need of another two gallons right now. So I'll top it with 91 tomorrow and go out and do some more driving. I sure like this car. Had a guy tell me today, "That is one bad-ass Mustang dude!" I told him, "It's my Eleanor."

If running the 91 keeps it good, I won't even try again. Until I get a tuner with a 93 octane tune in it. It'll be soon, I have the link saved up.

Attachments

• 01010026.JPG
    01010026.JPG
    571.4 KB · Views: 207
The place I get the 93 from, about three years ago he stopped selling it. Told me the distributor wasn't going to make it anymore. Told me he was investigating other options, but didn't like them as they all used high methanol to get the 93. He's been kind of cagey on answering me if that is what he's getting now. Says it isn't. But my Stang says otherwise. The Lightning and the Ranger both run a bit on the rich side and get horrible gas mileage. The Ranger, for a 3.0 V-6, averages 16 or so. The Lightning for blown V-8 gets around 11 to 12. LOL! The Mustang has been running near 22 here lately. Tells me it may be running considerably leaner than my other two vehicles. Could make it sensitive to alcohol in the gas, especially methanol.

I'll give it some time and just stay with the 91 for a spell, see what happens.

Btw, the 93 I keep in my garage is generally for my two bikes, neither of which has ever complained about it. And it's never more than a week or so old. I don't keep it for long, I know it doesn't last.

Hi,
Yeah, your Pony’s saying something’s not quite right. Gorgeous Car. 05’+ 4.0’s have knock sensors, also used in some early 32V & FI app’s.
If someone you know has a Scantool with the capabilities to do a drive cycle, view/record real-time data, it would allow more insight into what’s occurring.
You spoke of tuning previously, you can certainly improve things that way, my S197 GT gets 24-25mpg, GT500 is around 10-11..which isn’t bad with my 79’ 532CID Z-28 sitting at..6, lmao Pic’s..
Tap the block with a brass hammer while running & it should pull timing, will hear it. Should check it out at least.
Your plugs were good, I do recall all of this, iwas your SN name change that threw me at first... Why’d you do that? I’m confused as-is, lol! Preferences...
Agree, best idea is the simplest..91... Occam’s razor. Some like St Paulies Girl, some Bud, some (ME) like Fosters. Eleanor’s thirst is not Sated, is simply unhappy with Shellwiser93. And she sounds adamant!!
Best!
-John
P.S. You get folks asking what year your car is? Happens a lot with the S197 GT. Folks are confused & say the S550’s look like “Matchbox“ cars. I respond with “I love them all”, lol

Attachments

• B7103B56-371F-4298-8E77-CC9C19DEBE5D.jpeg
    B7103B56-371F-4298-8E77-CC9C19DEBE5D.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 5518DD85-D9D0-411E-9D74-EEB15115FDD1.jpeg
    5518DD85-D9D0-411E-9D74-EEB15115FDD1.jpeg
    773.7 KB · Views: 109
  • A3DD178F-021C-4CB6-9063-DEC6CBE7455C.jpeg
    A3DD178F-021C-4CB6-9063-DEC6CBE7455C.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Had a guy yesterday tell me I had "one bad-ass Mustang dude!" Had two today tell me my car was gorgeous. One asked me if it was a Shelby? I said, "yeah, if they come with a V-6." LMAO. The other, while I was putting in the 89, asked me what year it was. Told him 07, his eyes got bit. He really liked the front spoiler, commented about it quite a bit. Something about having to be careful of driveways and such. I'm like, "yeah, hit it yesterday." LOL! First time for everything.

Anyhow, when I put that two gallons of 93 in yesterday, the ECM showed no codes. Within 40 miles, the check engine symbol was blinking and went solid. This morning, saw I needed 2.5 gallons of gas, so put in 2.5 gallons of 87. Drove over 100 miles today after doing that, multiple starts and stops, no codes. Decided to put in four gallons of 89 before heading home. Will try running 89 for awhile, see what happens. 89 is hard to come by here, most stations now serve 87 with ethanol, 87 without ethanol and 91. Only a few places still have 89. The place I get the 93 from has 90, but I don't think it'll work out well. His pumps are one nozzle pumps that mix the gas for the octane. So the 87 is straight, the 93 is straight, but the 90 is a 50/50 mix of both. Hence, if two gallons caused my car to have a blitz, what will seven do? Bwahaha

Name change? I have been here under the same name from day one. cbxer55. I've never changed it.

BYW, I don't know what exhaust this thing has, but I drove it with my hearing aid in tonight. This thing really talks to me. Both mufflers have a FORD symbol on them. But man, with my hearing aid in, they have a really nice sound. Did Ford offer some kind of performance exhaust for the V-6 Stangs? Maybe I'll just see if the local shop can stick some four inch tips on it and call it a day.

Four inch tips should go good with this thing. It'll be here next week some time.

Last edited:
Had a guy yesterday tell me I had "one bad-ass Mustang dude!" Had two today tell me my car was gorgeous. One asked me if it was a Shelby? I said, "yeah, if they come with a V-6." LMAO. The other, while I was putting in the 89, asked me what year it was. Told him 07, his eyes got bit. He really liked the front spoiler, commented about it quite a bit. Something about having to be careful of driveways and such. I'm like, "yeah, hit it yesterday." LOL! First time for everything.

Anyhow, when I put that two gallons of 93 in yesterday, the ECM showed no codes. Within 40 miles, the check engine symbol was blinking and went solid. This morning, saw I needed 2.5 gallons of gas, so put in 2.5 gallons of 87. Drove over 100 miles today after doing that, multiple starts and stops, no codes. Decided to put in four gallons of 89 before heading home. Will try running 89 for awhile, see what happens. 89 is hard to come by here, most stations now serve 87 with ethanol, 87 without ethanol and 91. Only a few places still have 89. The place I get the 93 from has 90, but I don't think it'll work out well. His pumps are one nozzle pumps that mix the gas for the octane. So the 87 is straight, the 93 is straight, but the 90 is a 50/50 mix of both. Hence, if two gallons caused my car to have a blitz, what will seven do? Bwahaha

Name change? I have been here under the same name from day one. cbxer55. I've never changed it.

BYW, I don't know what exhaust this thing has, but I drove it with my hearing aid in tonight. This thing really talks to me. Both mufflers have a FORD symbol on them. But man, with my hearing aid in, they have a really nice sound. Did Ford offer some kind of performance exhaust for the V-6 Stangs? Maybe I'll just see if the local shop can stick some four inch tips on it and call it a day.

Four inch tips should go good with this thing. It'll be here next week some time.
Hi,
Funny about the post, go to the top and you’ll see what (appears to be) the same issue as you’re having, same genre’, appeared to be the progressive story.
SN name: “Splintereddt”. He’d found his Pony’s 4.0’s issue as far as I know, he didn’t respond again, then you came in with the same..lol! I’ll have to PM him & ask.
4.0 Exhausts from Ford- yes, they made a dual X conversion, used the 08’ Bullitt’s mufflers, for instance, below...
If the OE Cat’s /mid were swapped out, would also sound much deeper.take a peek.
We have separately mixed fuels of 87, 89, 91, 93, all run 10% Ethanol, no choice. Then E 85. I run Sunoco 93 in most everything. With the vehicles you own.
You should consider a good self powered, standalone Scantool handheld with free updater files. With your Toys, it’ll allow you to track things as they show. Not having one is really preventing you from using OBD-2 Diagnostics to your advantage.
Barnes ANGB is an 1/8 Mile from me, I fill my 12.8:1 532 Z-28 with Avgas 100LL, actually (Was) cheaper than Pump gas @2.80$/Gal.
Across the street is a country club, zoom in on my Mustang’s door, golfer with a hook did that, replaced the door, 08’ GT, Vapor silver 400$.
Yeah, lots of comments on the GT, same with buddies of mine that own S197’s- and this all seemed ramp up around 2014- 2015 out of the blue, “Such a nice Mustang”.. “is that the new Mustang?”..or..”God, Ford has really outdone themselves”, etc.
I tell them it’s an 08’, and they have this look of disbelief. “Reeeeally? Wow!”.
Landmark comment on the GT500...”That a SS or Z-28”?lol!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll have to look under mine again today. That looks like what mine has, both muffler wise and the X. It's got a pretty deep sound, it just wasn't apparent til I drove it with my hearing aid in. I have pretty bad hearing, and only one ear works to boot. So I hardly ever listen to music, haven't turned the radio on in this Mustang since I bought it last November.

I know, swap out the cats for say, Magnaflow high flows. My Lightning has two of them. It originally had four cats, now only has the two high flows and a Borla stainless catback.

Hi,
Seems like there’s a potential that you may be running a Tune already, OBD-2’s aren’t as “friendly” with most modifications as OBD-1’s are, if an 02 sensor is 0.50in. from the OE location, the motor will not run correctly.
What other mod’s are you aware of?
You’d mentioned Intake, is that the manifold on the motor, or a Cool air setup?
Exhaust system..
No tubular headers- correct?
TB size, MAF, Injectors?
You’re aware of how well a GT runs, does your Pony feel like 210BHP or significantly more? A few bolt on’s and 30-50HP gains are easily achieved in a 4.0 V-6, but not so much if the EEC’s parameters are not tweaked to take advantage of it.
You should try an App on your phone to calculate HP by using its built-in accelerometer, and time, distance, e.g; Do a 0-60 run where it’s safe & it‘ll tell you the HP/TQ required to hit the #’s you hit, average of a few passes. A thought, anyhoo.
Great that you’re happy with it, way it drives & sounds. How difficult are your local DMV inspections?
Stay safe.
-John

I posted this earlier in the exhaust thread, but I'll repost it here.

So, here's what I see looking at my exhaust. First off, my Lightning had four cats, now has two high flow, my Ranger has four cats. The Mustang has two, bolted directly to the manifolds. Don't know if that's stock or not. Then at the bottom of the cats, a piece of three inch pipe is welded to them and bends them 45 degrees to be parallel with the vehicle. Then two pieces of three inch pipe about 2.5 feet long welded to those. Then two pieces of three inch curve around gracefully and form a Y under the passenger seats. Then a piece of three inch runs straight back and arcs gracefully over the axle to a three inch "T". Then two pieces of three inch depart the T and are welded to the Ford mufflers. Then two three inch tips welded to the mufflers. When you look in the tips, you see the forward face of the muffler, and the internal pipes are perforated wit ha bunch of holes.

It all looks fairly recent, not a lot of rust on any of it. Looks recently done and speaks of custom work. IMHO, three inch pipe should be plenty sufficient for a 240 cubic inch V-6.

Assuming this isn't the stock exhaust, I am going to go to my favorite muffler shop and have them replace the two three inch tips with four inch tips. That'll meet my needs just dandy. It sounds really good, so I am fairly certain it isn't stock. But yet it's not rip-roaring loud either, which is fine by me.

I was out doing the boulevard cruise scene this evening, the very boulevard I live on. Perfect! There were numerous Mustangs, Camachos, Challengers and Chargers with really grotesque exhausts. I don't know how they can like that barfing fart can sound. Whatever! Doesn't do a thing for me. Heard a V6 Mustang recently that sounded flat-out horrible.

Last edited:
No inspections here. Don't even do smog checks when vehicles are sold between owners. Moved here from Ca in 02 and hey didn't check a siingle thing on any of my vehicles. Fortunately. Pretty much free to do as you want. The EGR is deleted on my Lightning, mainly to make driver's side plug changes easier.

I have no idea if it's tuned or not. The exhaust looks custom. But the intake was still stock. MAF and TB look stock. I have no idea how many owners before me. I plan on going back to the guy I bought it from and asking him some questions. He's about six miles from where I live, may be able to do so tomorrow if he's opened. He has his own business, no idea if he closes for the holiday or not.

Last edited: