Mustang 2 clutch pedal conversion to hydraulic clutch?

joekurt

Oct 28, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hello all,
Has anyone tried to adapt a Mustang 2 pedal set to hydraulic clutch on a Tremec TMX? Just spent about an hour online looking for a conversion kit for that. Funny how everything seems to skip over the '74 to '78 years. Very frustrating!
Thanks,
Kurt
IMG_0204.jpeg
IMG_0204.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

@Enzio has a T5 with a hydraulic clutch setup from - if I remember correctly - modern driveline. In his case, the master cylinder sits inside the car. I build my own setup with a Lada Niva hydraulic clutch system (its cheap) and my master cylinder sits in the engine bay. Both of us have the slave cylinder mounted at the bell housing still using the clutch fork.
A T5 is usually enough for handling the torque we have with a 302, especially because it is a light car. But I do not know what you plan with your engine...

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I do have slave cylinder at the bell but no fork. Mine is mounted on the transmission. I'd have to go check my book to see where I got the parts. If you're interested my install was not cheap. But, it's very nice and reliable. I went away from the fork due to the non stock clutch (spec). Let me know and I'll shovel out the garage to find out the parts and numbers.
I did not get them from MDL but they may have something for it now.

@Enzio has a T5 with a hydraulic clutch setup from - if I remember correctly - modern driveline. In his case, the master cylinder sits inside the car. I build my own setup with a Lada Niva hydraulic clutch system (its cheap) and my master cylinder sits in the engine bay. Both of us have the slave cylinder mounted at the bell housing still using the clutch fork.
A T5 is usually enough for handling the torque we have with a 302, especially because it is a light car. But I do not know what you plan with your engine...
Thanks extra_stout. My engine is a 302 bored 30 over with AFR heads (compression @10.25:1), street cam for max torque between 1,500 and 5,500 rpm. Our guess is high 300s to 400 for both HP and torque. This is going in a Classic Roadsters Sebring MX kit which is a knock off of an old Austin Healey roadster (light car - about 2,400 lbs). Do aftermarket bell housings come drilled to mount slave cylinders? Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of your pedal set/master cylinder set up? Here are a couple of shots of where we are on the engine.
IMG_1955.jpeg
Thanks again!
IMG_1956.jpeg

Hey! I do have slave cylinder at the bell but no fork. Mine is mounted on the transmission. I'd have to go check my book to see where I got the parts. If you're interested my install was not cheap. But, it's very nice and reliable. I went away from the fork due to the non stock clutch (spec). Let me know and I'll shovel out the garage to find out the parts and numbers.
I did not get them from MDL but they may have something for it now.
Thanks Enzio! Could you give me a ballpark of "not cheap"? Don't shovel out your garage quite yet. We're still a bit away from finalizing brakes. We've upgraded the parts from the Mustang II donor car to 31 spline axles and an Eaton TRUTRACK diff, 5 lug discs with QA1 coil overs on all four corners. This is a father/son project. I'm lobbying for hydraulic brakes but he's not sold on them yet.

Thanks extra_stout. My engine is a 302 bored 30 over with AFR heads (compression @10.25:1), street cam for max torque between 1,500 and 5,500 rpm. Our guess is high 300s to 400 for both HP and torque. This is going in a Classic Roadsters Sebring MX kit which is a knock off of an old Austin Healey roadster (light car - about 2,400 lbs). Do aftermarket bell housings come drilled to mount slave cylinders? Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of your pedal set/master cylinder set up? Here are a couple of shots of where we are on the engine.
IMG_1955.jpeg
Thanks again!
IMG_1956.jpeg
I think you're underestimating your horsepower by about 50. Car Craft got 400hp out of a stock bore 302 with the stock cam using similar heads to those, given the bore and more aggressive cam, I'm fairly confident you're probably closer to 425-450hp, especially with no parasitic drag from the water pump.

In my opinion a T5 z-spec should handle that torque level with such a light car... it is a question of budget and installation space, i guess. But I'm not familiar with the dimensions of the Tremec TMX.
The question is what bellhousing do you use?
The lada niva clutch set has same diameter on master and slave cylinder. This came all together with the position of the master cylinder relative to the pivot point of the pedal... So this a complete DIY solution.
For slave cylinder there are two mounting styles (which can be done yourself, if you like. its just metal work):
3550sell2.jpg

md-910-1002_335_general.jpg

If I remember right the ratio between pivot-to-rubber to pivot-to-master-cylinder is 4.5:1
The clutch fork I used is 94-95 Mustang which is only slightly different to the pre 93 clutch fork... So the fork also has a ratio itself. But that worked out for me.

If I remember right the ratio between pivot-to-rubber to pivot-to-master-cylinder is 4.5:1
The clutch fork I used is 94-95 Mustang which is only slightly different to the pre 93 clutch fork... So the fork also has a ratio itself. But that worked out for me.
Also, we don't have the TKX yet but the lit states it's smaller than the T-5. We also don't have the bell housing because the Mustang II bell housing is an odd size used only between '74 - '78 and only in Mustang IIs thus a no-go with the TKX. As a result, we have to replace EVERYTHING between the engine and the TKX! Thank you Ford.

I have found old pictures. I think used the same distance from the pedal pivot point to the clutch cabel for the mounting point of the hydraulic master. Clutch cabel has obviously a ratio of 1:1. So this fits the lada clutch setup, where the diameter of master and slave is the same.
I think back than someone here measured their original Mustang II clutch fork and it was nearly the same as mine (they are all very similar regarding leverage ratio).
My thinking was, that this will than have similar feel and effort than original...
IMG_20180714_093834.jpg
IMG_20180714_093829.jpg