Mustang off the line number

• Sponsors (?)

They made ~211,000 Mustangs for the 1988 model year. I don't know the production cutoff dates for that model year, but lets assume that was for a full 365 days of production...that's almost 600 mustangs a day.
Mine is a 1992, not sure what the yearly production total was but l recall it being on the low side.

Last edited:
Which marti report shares this info? I have the deluxe report and it doesn't say anything about number sequence per day

One of these days i'll probably spring for the personalized stat report.

It's not from Marti Auto Works because they know very well that that info (#___ of ___ that day) is not even known by Ford, so they don't know it either and don't put that garbage on their reports. It's probably a 'Stew Jones' report, which isn't available any more.

Below is a sample of what they looked like, from a 1989 model. The below report says the car was the 89th produced out of 92 on May 25th, 1989. The "92" was P40E (5.0L coupe) produced on one day, not 92 total Mustangs produced on one day.

Attachments

• 250097 - 1FABP40EXKF250097 - 1989 9L LX 5L coupe - ebay.jpg
    250097 - 1FABP40EXKF250097 - 1989 9L LX 5L coupe - ebay.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Those reports are old school. Like going back 15-20 years, before Marti reports were available for 1979 and later Mustangs. If you remember 'Third Generation National Registry' (the now defunct website thirdgenerationnewsandbeyond dot com) you'll know what these are. Stewart Jones was an MCA Gold Card judge at one time. As was Terry McCoy. McCoy also did reports at one time for 1992 and 1993 'Summer Edition' cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Ford has, in their production database, the 'day built' for each unit. That date is on Marti reports. Ford does not have the order in which units were built each day. The assembly line does not build units in the order of the VIN but that is what these reports and certificates use to make up the # ___ of ___. That is where they get it wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
Just some food for thought here. Seems everyone's comments applied to production in general. The OP's car is a 'vert. Keep in mind verts came off of the line and were then delivered to Cars & Concepts for final construction. Possibly the marking is from their assembly line as the 86th car down their line at some point? Just a thought.

Found similar writing on this coupe. It’s actually an ‘88 SSP.

347CA4F8-5B63-43B8-9DDA-BE8CF7D68C84.jpeg

I’m trying to avoid dismissing these marks as nothing to pay attention to. We are getting to the point these cars are now classics and numbers like this need to be researched and documented.

or, maybe they are just nonsense

Reactions: 1 user
Found similar writing on this coupe. It’s actually an ‘88 SSP.

347CA4F8-5B63-43B8-9DDA-BE8CF7D68C84.jpeg

I’m trying to avoid dismissing these marks as nothing to pay attention to. We are getting to the point these cars are now classics and numbers like this need to be researched and documented.

or, maybe they are just nonsense
Are you hiding a second car on us?

It's not from Marti Auto Works because they know very well that that info (#___ of ___ that day) is not even known by Ford, so they don't know it either and don't put that garbage on their reports. It's probably a 'Stew Jones' report, which isn't available any more.

Below is a sample of what they looked like, from a 1989 model. The below report says the car was the 89th produced out of 92 on May 25th, 1989. The "92" was P40E (5.0L coupe) produced on one day, not 92 total Mustangs produced on one day.
Yep that's the one l have, think you are right as l recall the guys name being Stu Jones.