Mustang question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storms OF War

Jan 14, 2004
I have a question. A mustang is a horse. A cobra is a snake. Where the hell is there anything even remotely similar about them????? The Cobra is from what i understand the best available version of the Mustang. I'm very curious as to why they added the title of Cobra to the Mustang. It just makes no sense to me. SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!

• Sponsors (?)

Cobra has a nice ring to it and all but why would you give a snake name to a horse? I'm not a fan of sport compacts but the Eagle Talon makes sense. Why? Eagles have talon's! The Viper has the Venom kit- that makes sense. Horses and snakes? If you're going to name something after a horse, at least have something that's horse related lmao. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, i just don't understand where the name came from. I'm just looking for a legitimate explaination, not just because Cobra sounds badass.

Ford has to use the name "Cobra" every so often to keep the rights to the name. It's been used on Mustang II's, Fairlanes, & Torinos in the past.

The only thing I thought was (is) stupid is the running horse emblem in the grille of a Cobra. They should have come from the factory like so:

h-02.jpg

fiveofanatic said:
Ford has to use the name "Cobra" every so often to keep the rights to the name. It's been used on Mustang II's, Fairlanes, & Torinos in the past.

The only thing I thought was (is) stupid is the running horse emblem in the grille of a Cobra. They should have come from the factory like so:

h-02.jpg

Couldn't have said it better myself................. :nice:

BTW.......... 65,000 posts ??
"Somebody" needs to get a life !!
:p

I guess the very root is from the Shelby affliation, but I'd say ever since Ford put the 428 Cobra Jet in the old 68 or 69 Mustang, the name has sort of gone hand in hand with the Mustang...as far as Fords are concerned. Plus, its all about marketing. Ford knows that the name "Cobra" evokes an unmistakable image so why not exploit that? Keep in mind that the original name for the 93 SVT Mustang was going to be "GT Plus"...how exciting is that?
Anyway, I have never been approach at the gas pump or in a parking lot and someone said "why is it a horse and a snake"? They just know what it is and I suppose that a Cobra would definitely make a Mustang run, like BLK32v said so I guess in a sense it is fitting.

I came across the following while surfing online, thought it might be of interest:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/09/93cobra/index.shtml

...Beyond all the standard criteria used for marking a cars collectibility, the 1993 Cobra offers something more appealing. It was the first time in a long time that there was a true, performance oriented, "special" Mustang offered by Ford. The 1969-70 Shelby Mustangs marked the beginning of a period of decline for the Mustang. The oil embargo and other factors resulted in variations of Mustangs that lacked the muscle and mystique associated with the name. So in 1992 when Ford's SVT group announced production on a new Cobra, it was seen as a significant commitment for bringing the Mustang back as Americas most desirable muscle car...

Storms OF War said:
I have a question. A mustang is a horse. A cobra is a snake. Where the hell is there anything even remotely similar about them????? The Cobra is from what i understand the best available version of the Mustang. I'm very curious as to why they added the title of Cobra to the Mustang. It just makes no sense to me. SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!
Why are you trying to start arguments. That's twice now.

vipergts281 said:
Why are you trying to start arguments. That's twice now.

The guy seemed like he was asking a genuine question... :shrug:
I could see how someone with very little historical knowledge about mustangs might have some difficulty in understanding why Ford chose to use the "cobra" moniker when the SVTs first appeared in '93...
BTW - What was his first "argument" about? If it's something that needs the attention of staff, feel free to shoot a PM my way (or fiveofanatic). :)

COBRA90GT said:
The guy seemed like he was asking a genuine question... :shrug:
I could see how someone with very little historical knowledge about mustangs might have some difficulty in understanding why Ford chose to use the "cobra" moniker when the SVTs first appeared in '93...
BTW - What was his first "argument" about? If it's something that needs the attention of staff, feel free to shoot a PM my way (or fiveofanatic). :)
It's not really a big deal. Check out this thread for the other time I was talking about. http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=413082&page=1&pp=40

He is not really being a d**k or anything. But it seems pretty clear that he is trying to start some arguments.

New way of trolling maybe? :shrug:

Damn, caught again. Yes, i live to start arguements in the form of serious questions. It's two totally different names. On the other post, some people actually gave me reasons (which is exactly what i wanted.) If i wanted to start arguements, i'd say something that would totally piss everyone one off no matter who they were like saying some form of import is better than mustangs or just straight out- mustangs suck. That my friend is how you start an arguement. I thought i stated it in a friendly way. I simply asked why the ones i saw were slow. Maybe the one that stomped on it at the light and the guy trying to pass the truck were the same car. I saw two red mustangs but there are a million red mustangs out there. Maybe it was someone with a loud ass dual exhuast system on a v6, who knows but no one said mustangs suck or anything, you guys just got defensive.

Storms OF War said:
Damn, caught again. Yes, i live to start arguements in the form of serious questions. It's two totally different names. On the other post, some people actually gave me reasons (which is exactly what i wanted.) If i wanted to start arguements, i'd say something that would totally piss everyone one off no matter who they were like saying some form of import is better than mustangs or just straight out- mustangs suck. That my friend is how you start an arguement. I thought i stated it in a friendly way. I simply asked why the ones i saw were slow. Maybe the one that stomped on it at the light and the guy trying to pass the truck were the same car. I saw two red mustangs but there are a million red mustangs out there. Maybe it was someone with a loud ass dual exhuast system on a v6, who knows but no one said mustangs suck or anything, you guys just got defensive.
Yes, I understand you did not blatantly start an argument. But you would have to expect some of us to get defensive. You came onto a Mustang board asking why they are so slow. Let's face it, that will piss some people off. But if you remember, I somewhat agreed with you.

vipergts281 said:
Yes, I understand you did not blatantly start an argument. But you would have to expect some of us to get defensive. You came onto a Mustang board asking why they are so slow. Let's face it, that will piss some people off. But if you remember, I somewhat agreed with you.

Not gonna pi$$ me off.......... all mine needs a curly tail and a ring in its' nose and you can call it a pig all you want. C'mon........It's a d*mned car. :shrug:
Somewhere in all of the posts from the folks above, I sincerely hope you got the answer you wanted.:nice:

Sticks n stones, gentlemen. :rolleyes:

*Sigh* This thread just received a preemptive lockdown. :lock:

I'm sure our newcomer found the answer he was looking for in here (if not, I truly apologize and you may PM me and we can discuss it & re-open the thread), but I'm not going to let this thread get out of control and turn this place into another "Romper Room" (AKA: 4.6L talk). :rlaugh: :D
So, on that note, I will advise everyone to follow OleGrayCar's advice and "not let it piss you off."

:flag:

Status
Not open for further replies.