Paint and Body DIY undertray thread

Maier Racing body panels, widebody, etc. Good reference for hood and splitter. What I mentioned about the hood is obvious from their panel, a huge cutout from about where the pulleys sit to the back of the radiator, as well as a cowl on the back, and cutouts to the left and right of the engine as well.

I was unable to find much else on that forum explicitly for Foxbodies, but a lot for SN95 mustangs here and there. I'll have to dig around a bit more but it's great info that can be universally applied, so thanks for the suggestion there.
FoxHood.jpg

Seeing these posts makes me want to go "full racecar" so bad. But I've tried to stick with just restomod/ grand touring style. I need to buy another fox just to use as a test bed! Maybe when I'm done with college... Time and money is in short supply lately.

• Sponsors (?)

Asked around my university, but no luck for the wind tunnel - we have one, but sadly it's not large enough for a car, only a few feet wide. I could make a scale model but that's just as involved so, I think my best bet for any engineering analysis is to get an .STL file and use SOLIDWORKS flow simulation for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) which I do have access to through my university, and I know my way around enough to use

Now I would have to either get a decent STL file scan of a foxbody (Underside included) which doesn't seem to exist, or create my own.
Files are out there for the body of the car, but no underside, as these files are typically made at 1:25 scale and used for RC cars and 3D printing
fox3dmodel.png

This is about the best thing I could find, but for making an under tray or anything like that it would be a bit inaccurate since the bottom of the car and drivetrain isn't modeled.
If anyone DOES happen to have a 3D scan of a foxbody, I'm all ears

Reactions: 1 user
Asked around my university, but no luck for the wind tunnel - we have one, but sadly it's not large enough for a car, only a few feet wide. I could make a scale model but that's just as involved so, I think my best bet for any engineering analysis is to get an .STL file and use SOLIDWORKS flow simulation for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) which I do have access to through my university, and I know my way around enough to use

Meh... Start with something like this:

Wile E. Coyote Projects :: Photos, videos, logos, illustrations and  branding :: Behance

Stick [that] in your wind tunnel :D

View: https://youtu.be/laxqbpUQVbk?si=np61gmSFq-Vwoo96
Haven't gotten a chance to go out and get any measurements or scans, life's been smacking me around a bit lately. But, I did find a really good series of videos made by an Aussie fellow, He clearly has a lot of knowledge on aerodynamic and automotive design. He has many videos on custom fab for a front tray, body tray, diffuser, and even proper venting for his intercooler and the rear of the car to reduce high pressure areas behind the bumper and rear end while still keeping car parts cool. Very informative if you prefer videos to old forum posts.

Meh... Start with something like this:

WOuld be interesting, but the downside is these 1:18 cars are pricey.

1709661535236.png

Realistically though they are lacking things you'd really need for it to be accurate, like windows, and lower radiator air deflector, and a flow-through radiator so you can model the airflow through the engine comparement as well.

WOuld be interesting, but the downside is these 1:18 cars are pricey.

1709661535236.png

Realistically though they are lacking things you'd really need for it to be accurate, like windows, and lower radiator air deflector, and a flow-through radiator so you can model the airflow through the engine comparement as well.

The basic shape and panel lines are all pretty good tho... Yeah, you'd have to do some mods but I can't think of a better replica to start with. :shrug:

I'm fairly certain the car in the image above is missing the chin spoiler. :D

Just for grins, I’ve always used Google to search these forums. I put the search terms and the exact name of the forum’s url on the same search line. So, for my 73 Mustang, I would type the search term, let’s say Idle Arms, and then add 7173mustangs.com. I’ve had no problems finding what I’m looking for. I’ve never found that the internal search capabilities of these forums are better than that. Just my 2 cents.

that’s how I search forums as well, including this one.

If I can remember certain key words, I use the internal search function here. All depends on what I can remember from the thread.

Both methods work, just all depends on how you approach it.

The only real advantages to the in-forum search:

You remember who posted it
You remember specifically, which forum it is in
You're looking for something [not] contained in the public forum (it can search on-site forums that outside engines cannot see)

Limited info searches are best done with more powerful search engines. All Tech, Talk, and Classifieds forums are accessible to outside engines.

The search engines on this site outnumber us all. LoL

Here is a portion of just one of eight pages of web crawlers we see at any given moment:

1709750087729.png

The little red circle there is what happens when a crawler tries to access a forum it doesn't have permission for. It sees an error message.

It’s probably ChatGDP in learning mode. If the knowledge to work on these cars continues to die off with the old folks, maybe it’s the only hope.
Die off with the "old folks"?
These cars (foxbody) are fairly simple.
If old folks dying off kills the knowledge on how to work on these cars, humanity has much bigger problems.

• Agree
It may be a while before enough of us die off. There's lots of street competitions that don't allow Fox bodies.

Why? Because dudes are [still] making them stupid fast. :rlaugh:

• Agree