mustang tuning chip

• Sponsors (?)

351 swap tune

what mods have you done?
I had a 351W with a mild cam GT40P heads, 24lb injectors, Typhoon intake, and all the standard bolt ons and I run a wide band and the stock computer is able to compensate for the parts. I know I'm not geting the peak performance but it's close enough to not pay 300+ for a chip and tuning.

If you are really wanting a mail order tune there are a several places that will do it. most of the people I know usually run an SCT or Diablo chip, you can call any of their distributors and they'll set you up with a generic tun for around 250-350. (Americanmuscle.com used to have a deal for unlimited tunes, I'm not sure if they do that anymore).

It doesn't matter what your mods are, i've seen cars that make over 600rwhp run fine without a chip.
Besides, even if you were to use a chip, it has to be programmed on a dyno, pushrod engines aren't like modulars where you can get them mail order (i mean you can, but it's a horrible idea).

There's nothing wild about your setup, you just have more displacement.

Take the car and have it dyno'ed, you get a printout of your a/f.
Should cost around $100 or so.

Bring it to get a custom tune, the car will run alot better, Personally, after my car was tuned it made the power alot smoother all the way through the RPM's.

To actually answer the question... Yes, there are chips you can get.
Moates QuarterHorse, using BinaryEditor (BE) as the software
Tweecer RT

I would recommend the QuarterHorse, as it has more functionality, and will be less expensive.

I had a stock X3Z running my 408w for a while before I started using a tweecer.
I thought the car ran fairly well.
Then I started fixing the inherent error in the stock tune when dealing with a modified engine....
CID
Injector Timing (needed when cam events are changed from stock)
MAF Transfer
Injector Slopes

After a couple of weeks of dorking around with the tune, the engine idled smoother and flat out ran better.
Will that be the case for every application? Who knows....
The point is that with every modification you make to the engine, the stock ecu has more difficulty keeping up with the changes.

If you're happy with how the car runs, then you could just leave it be....