Mustang5l5's Progress Thread - Archived Progress thread '08-'20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the billet steel Ford flywheel.

I’ve stripped out two cast iron flywheels now. I’m hoping the threaded holes in the steel one would be a bit more durable.

Plus it’s SFI approved. I like my ankles

The longer bolts will help prevent stripping. I had a stripped hole in my aluminum flywheel, and upon inspection, the bolts were only threading half way into the flywheel. Longer bolts fixed the stripped one good enough for me.

Reactions: 1 user
File this under cool paraphernalia for my car. The dealership my car was sold at (about 15 miles from me) closed years ago before I could go take a pic in front of it. Anyway, I’ve been looking for dealership momentos.

Found this pic of the dealership circa 1984. Bought it and nailed it to beam above car

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
So slow weekend overall. Cleaned up the garage a tad while my flywheel and new ARP clutch bolts are in the mail. Took the time to dump my oil pan, and give my tools a reorganizing and general cleanup. Feels good to have made so much progress.

So originally I though the trans would simply get degreased and shoved in a corner. Looks like that’s not the case. It had some minor leaks, so I should address them.

Small leak at the tailshaft, so I’ll install a new bushing and seal.

Found this o ring wasn’t seated correctly

So I’ll pop the tailhousing, degrease it, paint it and fix it.

I had a small leak at the front, which I thought was input shaft retainer. Looks like it might be the bearing cup, which uses an o ring to seal.

Looks like I gotta pull it all apart to fix these. Guess you get to see that happen.

Oh yeah I ordered all new ARP 12pt bolts for the trans and shifter. I’d do the top cover too but I think they all use a unique bolt with a shoulder.

Guess my attention to detail continues. I rebuilt this T5 around 2006/2007 or so? Guess my attention to detail wasn’t as refined back then. All brand new tremec 90-93 gears (was cheap back then) and maybe 1-2k miles on it. Shifts like budder.

Also, while I’m here, I need to satisfy my curiousity.

On left is an 86-93 bellhousing. On right is an 83-85 bellhousing. I’ve heard conflicting tales about the older bells being smaller, to they are exactly the same. I think Brew2L on YouTube did a vid on using the e3 bell and having issues with contact.

Anyway, since I’m here, I’m gonna bolt both on and actually see if there is a difference. Comparing side to side I cannot see any measurable difference. Only thing I can see is the 83-85 had a second set of casting bosses for trans bolts.

Reactions: 1 users
Decided to move the patient to the basement. It’s warmer, and cleaner.

Ordered some more ARP bolts. Tailhousinh, and trans to bell bolts. Top cover bolts in the mail

See if I can get this broken down without making a mess.

Yeah i know it goes under a car, but my OCD won’t let me put it back in with cheap flaking paint and leaks and rusty hardware. Plus I want to see how it’s doing internally since I rebuilt it.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean, as long as Mike is the one doing all this to MY car, I'll feed quite a few of y'all while we watch him work his magic.

What i need to do is fly @Davedacarpainter here to help me with my next phase of fixing the shock towers and getting a nice coat of paint down in the bay.

I’m much better at mechanical stuff vs body work. I’m sure I’ll manage fine though.

ITs just like riding a bike. About 12 years since I last rebuilt a t5, but pulling these apart still feels natural

Only 2k miles on this new gearset. No issues observed at all. I’ll pull it apart a bit more to really inspect

So not sure how far I’m going to go here. Duh through my spare t5 pile and I do have another case all clean and painted and ready to go. Seems a tad excessive.

BTW...working on the engine stand is awesome. These were always a pain to pull apart on table or floor, always tipping over

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.