Progress Thread My 1991 Gt Convertible

Lyonmt

Nov 17, 2004
Tampa, FL
Sorry, no snazzy title like "operation :poo:box restore". As a father of two young boys, Husband and main breadwinner with a mortgage, money is kinda tight. I parted out a bunch of motorcycles enough that I could put together $3k to buy this 1991 Mustang GT convertible. I really would have preferred a silver notch or a even an LX convertible, but with such a small budget, you gotta take what you can get I suppose.

This one looks 100x better in the pictures than it is. When I bought it needed:
Front bumper (cracked)
Rear bumper (cracked)
Small raised dent in the hood needs fixing
Paint (50% of the clear coat peeled off)
Transmission (messed up 2nd/reverse, of course)
Two little rust spots fixed
Foam in drivers seat.
New upholstery
The poorly painted interior panels redone
An oil leak fixed
The rear diff oil leak fixed
The remainder of the A/C removed or repaired
The remainder of the smog stuff removed.
The H-pipe needs the smog tube cut off and welded.
Looks like the heater core needs to be replaced (it's disconnected, so you know I'm right)
The power seat doesn't work.
The armrest is sunken and needs to be replaced.
The shifter handle is too short
The radio sucks
The driver's door sags

On the plus side though, it runs. It has BBK headers, off road H-pipe, CAI, flowmasters, subframe connectors with seat stiffeners, it's lowered, has a new top and it has new tires on it.

I would like to fix all the stuff listed above, clean it up, paint it, maybe a cam, heads and gears.

Here it is as I bought it:
20150912_184853.jpg

I pulled the transmission and found a used replacement for $200. I bought a new clutch, clutch fork, pivot and pilot bearing. I found a used rear bumper for $40 and got an air sander and a bunch of sanding discs new off eBay and Amazon.

Here it is with the trans pulled. I will start reassembly after I get all of the parts in. This weekend I will probably be plugging the smog ports on the back of the factory heads.
20151012_200122.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Must have been the light in that first pic. Looked completely smooth. I'd just level the plate with epoxy, sand smooth and paint it along with the rest of the intake. People want stupid money for a decent ho plate. They are prone to cracking.

Reactions: 1 user
Must have been the light in that first pic. Looked completely smooth. I'd just level the plate with epoxy, sand smooth and paint it along with the rest of the intake. People want stupid money for a decent ho plate. They are prone to cracking.
Your probably right. Speed parts show up all of the time on the Craigslist around here, so I will probably leave it until I get something else.

I soldered the new speedo connector on last night, so hopefully I got that on there correctly. I then proceeded to put the clutch in, but realized that there are cracks all over the flywheel. Since it also looks like there is a leak coming from the rear main seal, I bit the bullet and continued on. I removed the flywheel and ordered a replacement from Advance auto parts for $50 as well as a new rear main seal. I would really LOVE to start getting this thing reassembled, but tonight is movie night with the wifey and tomorrow I have a laundry list of things to do around the house, so it looks like this may have to keep until next weekend.