My 5.0 Is Making A Terrible Noise (video)

MikeUrban

May 30, 2010
Chantilly, VA
Hey guys! I've ran into an issue with my 5.0. It has gt40 heads and intake, trick flow valve springs, and a trick flow stage 1 cam, with a new oil pump. I had a timing issue where I couldn't get it close to the correct timing and it ran very retarded for a little while. I got that figured out and is now at about 12 degrees. It makes 50psi of oil pressure at idle..but, it sounds like this:

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151790943024323&l=3770992201559127003

Any ideas on what it could be? Thank you everyone

• Sponsors (?)

Oh it sounds the same on pc! In person it's almost gone away, but it's still there. Not sure where to go with this one. Bottom end is stock and I drove it like crazy and it never souned off at all. I've had this thing all the way down and nothing was out of place!

oh jesus! last time I heard that sound was a broken wrist pin and the piston was just flopping around. Do a cylinder balance test to see if you can narrow down the problem area. Off hand I would say you have at least one fubared valve.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got done re torquing them. All but one needed to be tightened, but they werent too far off. Maybe a quarter turn. I just dont get how it could be the bottom end, nothing changed in it and I had been driving it around as my daily for months.

Yup, everything is lined up perfectly. I took a VERY long time making sure everything was "dot to dot" on this thing. I guess the next thing to do if it wasnt the rockers is put new lifters and pushrods in and pray. I'll let everyone know if it was the rockers tonight!

That sounds like a valve or rocker arm slapping on something. I would not run that engine until you get it figured out. Pull the Valve covers off and inspect them and the rockers, pushrods for signs of damage and they are snug. Are the rockers on the center of the valve stem? Did you mill the heads and/or check pushrod length. Disconnect and ground the coil wire and crank the car over a few times with the covers off and the valvetrain exposed to isolate the noise.

did you measure pushrod length? PTV clearance? I highly doubt that is a lifter or pushrod. Have you pulled the heads?When you checked the rockers did you bring each one to TDC before tightening them down? Stock rockers or aftermarket?

I didn't check PTV or pushrod length, I was under the impression I wouldn't need to with the explorer heads (which were checked to be straight but not milled at all) and trick flow stage 1 cam. They are stock rockers from the explorer, however I did not bring each to TDC when I re-tightened them. Also when I had the valve covers off this evening none of the rockers or pushrods had any play or seemed off at all, and had no signs of wear or damage.

I didn't check PTV or pushrod length, I was under the impression I wouldn't need to with the explorer heads and trick flow stage 1 cam. They are stock rockers from the explorer, however I did not bring each to TDC when I re tightened them.

:doh: By not adjusting the valves when per the proper procedure, your valves are opening and closing at the wrong time most likely. Not good. Do a search on how to adjust stock 5.0 rockers and pray you didn't cause some serious damage.

I would almost guarantee you have a valve out of whack then. I would loosen all the rockers, pull the rods to make sure they are still straight and then go back and tighten each one with its cylinder at TDC.