Progress Thread My '89 Lx "barn Find" Restoration Project

• Sponsors (?)

"Everything cleaned up and ready to put back together.... Note the throttle body studs... I had a hard time finding those. Found the stainless ones at McMaster-Carr PN 92997A344
"Corrosion-Resistant Setup Stud 5/16"-18 Thread Size, 4" Long, 1-1/2" and 1/2" Long Threads" and even then had to extend the threads on one end"

Just curious, because last night I took my throttlebody off trying to get the passenger's side long tube to go in: What did you mean above when you said you had to extend the threads on those new stud bolts?

Mine were a bit cruddy and I was considering cleaning them up this morning for re-use. For now I bought a TB gasket set from Jegs P/N 555-51307; the closest set I could find to the OEM gasket set. I'm thinking about the S/S studs but again, I don't want to kill the wallet...

Cool thread. I'll definitely be following it.

I wouldn't say the 3.08s are rare but they definitely made more 2.73 geared cars.

As for the rear drums. Maximum Motorsports makes a upgraded shoe that will help them perform better.

Thanks. I'll check into those. If you look at my front brakes I couldn't help myself and got the PowerStop vented disc upgrade that still use stock calipers. I figured that isn't really a modification.

That is a very common problem. I was able glue mine together in the interim. Let us know where you locate the new part. I'll eventually buy one later down my project. I have the entire dash pulled away doing the heater core and evap.Thanks.

Rockauto has 5 different replacement parts ranging from $6 to $31.. Of course the $31 is Motorcraft.
I'm pretty sure I bought the STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS PN US98 for $11ish.
It looked identical to the one I replaced and appeared to be equal in quality

"Everything cleaned up and ready to put back together.... Note the throttle body studs... I had a hard time finding those. Found the stainless ones at McMaster-Carr PN 92997A344
"Corrosion-Resistant Setup Stud 5/16"-18 Thread Size, 4" Long, 1-1/2" and 1/2" Long Threads" and even then had to extend the threads on one end"

Just curious, because last night I took my throttlebody off trying to get the passenger's side long tube to go in: What did you mean above when you said you had to extend the threads on those new stud bolts?

Mine were a bit cruddy and I was considering cleaning them up this morning for re-use. For now I bought a TB gasket set from Jegs P/N 555-51307; the closest set I could find to the OEM gasket set. I'm thinking about the S/S studs but again, I don't want to kill the wallet...

Mine were almost rusted completely through so I had no choice. On the McMaster-Carr studs were 1 1/2" inch thread length on one side, and 1/2" on the end that screws into the manifold... The original ones have about 3/4" of thread so I just used a die to cut more threads...

I bought 5 in case I screwed one up <pun> and with shipping they were $20 :(

Wow, your not wasting any time pulling parts! I see you're staying 4 lug. What bushings have you decided on? And thanks for the McMaster-Carr lead. I didn't know of them.
BTW, what did you mean when you said you had to extend the TB studs. I was thinking about ordering a few but wanted to be sure I didn't need a different p/n for the extension issue...thanks

Mine were almost rusted completely through so I had no choice. On the McMaster-Carr studs were 1 1/2" inch thread length on one side, and 1/2" on the end that screws into the manifold... The original ones have about 3/4" of thread so I just used a die to cut more threads...

I bought 5 in case I screwed one up <pun> and with shipping they were $20 :(

Awesome! That's doable. I'll order them today. Sorry for posting to you so much; I happen to be hear at the site a bit researching. That how I came across you build. I was just out at WM trying to find a battery. My list calls for a 63-3 size EverStart they didn't have one so I'm considering converting the termination ends or going with a size 58. they are easier to find.

Wow, your not wasting any time pulling parts! I see you're staying 4 lug. What bushings have you decided on? And thanks for the McMaster-Carr lead. I didn't know of them.
BTW, what did you mean when you said you had to extend the TB studs. I was thinking about ordering a few but wanted to be sure I didn't need a different p/n for the extension issue...thanks

Yes 4 lug... What are you going to do when you want to keep original wheels.
Which bushings do you mean?
Around 130K or 140K miles I had to change out a motor mount, and went ahead and changed the lower A-arm bushings. I just replaced ball joints but the bushings were still in really good shape...
The coil spring top and bottom bushings were toast so I replaced those, and of course when I replaced the strut I replaced those.

I was thinking of the LC bushings, and did you go with poly. I just ordered my motor mount and trans bushing I went with the energy piece because of the engine height diff that I read about. My motor only has original 45k but when I lifted the motor last night they had a bunch of cracks, so I figure now is a good time.

I' just finishing up on the 5 lug conversion to just get the better braking, in reality, 4 lug is really just fine for most driving styles. Yeah, those spring isolators take a beating. I di poly on those also, but for now I just kept the stock spring until I get a feel for the actual updated ride height.

Did you have a problem with spring selection. Finding stock p/n is getting harder, as someone earlier mentioned. Most manufacturers are grouping 79-04 part wherever they can. This unfortunately under-cut Fords specific design specs on some parts. Struts come to mind right away on this issue...

New sending unit, fuel pump ready to go back in the tank
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking of the LC bushings, and did you go with poly. I just ordered my motor mount and trans bushing I went with the energy piece because of the engine height diff that I read about. My motor only has original 45k but when I lifted the motor last night they had a bunch of cracks, so I figure now is a good time.

I' just finishing up on the 5 lug conversion to just get the better braking, in reality, 4 lug is really just fine for most driving styles. Yeah, those spring isolators take a beating. I di poly on those also, but for now I just kept the stock spring until I get a feel for the actual updated ride height.

Did you have a problem with spring selection. Finding stock p/n is getting harder, as someone earlier mentioned. Most manufacturers are grouping 79-04 part wherever they can. This unfortunately under-cut Fords specific design specs on some parts. Struts come to mind right away on this issue...

Stock rubber on LC bushings, stock original springs, poly on isolators.. I used my car as a daily driver with a 60 mile round trip commute. So lots of miles but besides the small stuff.. Throttle body gasket leak, brakes, vacuum lines, belt, hoses, spark plugs, injectors, fuel filter, fuel sending unit, etc... It is mostly cosmetic interior stuff and cosmetic exterior stuff. I did not cheap the struts or the rear shocks... damn quad shocks cost a fortune to get OEM replacements ($85 bucks each)...

Stock rubber on LC bushings, stock original springs, poly on isolators.. I used my car as a daily driver with a 60 mile round trip commute. So lots of miles but besides the small stuff.. Throttle body gasket leak, brakes, vacuum lines, belt, hoses, spark plugs, injectors, fuel filter, fuel sending unit, etc... It is mostly cosmetic interior stuff and cosmetic exterior stuff. I did not cheap the struts or the rear shocks... damn quad shocks cost a fortune to get OEM replacements ($85 bucks each)...

They saw you coming on the Quads, eh. lol There's not much you can do on the prices if you want quality. I'm just darn happy to have a car that I like, and happen to have the ability to work on it and have fun doing it!

My car sat for close to 20 years, with only the occasional start up and around the corner run. It was one of those project that, like you, I was always going to get to. My fuel sending unit was out of production when suddenly some nice company decided to start making it aftermarket. I was happy because the gauges wouldn't work with 87 - 93 sender. In many ways, you're lucky. Your year has more parts available.

Drive it! and I'll get watching your transformation. The pics are great btw, I've saved a few for references for when I get to those stages.

I was afraid the fuel pump wasn't working because it is so quiet compared to the old one. But everything works and idle is smooth... started moving on to check other things... A/C still works great! Power Windows have a bit of an issue going up and down and door locks are stuck.
I already started taking off some of the trim but here is car...

IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG

Reactions: 4 users