My 96 Cobra's mini progress thread

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
Not all of you know, but I sold my 91 notchback. Now....the Cobra is getting some work done. I'm posting 5.0L Talk not 4.6L Talk because I know all of you much better.

Here's a little background:

In 2003 I had a new T45 and CFDF installed. In 2004 on went the Vortec. No problems with the motor, makes good power, I've won quite a few races, but my clutch is not disengaging, making it stiff to shift into 2nd and into 3rd. The car also pops out of 4th SOMETIMES...maybe 3 out of 10 times. I have driven the car like this since 2004. The clutch gave me the transmission issues and I've put it off because I have long tubes. Now some of you may ask me: "You build Hack Job why can't you do a clutch job with L/T's?" ANSWER: Screw that job! Plus I'm trying to finish my Bachelors degree, and my Dad has an F150 he's building in the backroom right now. No time, and no room really.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS PROBLEM SO....onto the good stuff. :nice:

I'm having the L/T's, trans, and clutch, pulled off. The car is getting a 10.5" Ford Motorsport clutch kit, flywheel resurfaced. The trans is going to my transmission shop. They don't have much available to beef up a T45, but I found a couple of upgraded parts and I ordered them. I told the trans shop to thouroughly inspect all parts in this T45 and replace anything that has wear, then install the new HD parts I found. After all this is finished and together, my shop is going to put it on the dyno to recheck the tune. I have a check engine light, which should not come on with the tune, but it did. The car runs fine, so I haven't been sweatin it.

Before he puts it on the dyno, I'm going to "talk" about increasing the BOOST :D to 10lbs with a pulley. I don't want to go 12-14 with methanol because I don't want to spend that much money, and I don't want to worry about something going wrong in the future. Although, the car would make over 500RWHP...:nice: I just think the car is plenty fast with 8lbs, mading 414RWHP in 2004. A guy with another 96-97 with 10lbs made 442RWHP on his same dyno this past month. I just want a little more kick, for not a lot of price.

I'm taking the car there next week and it will prolly be gone for a week or two. This time of year, I am in no hurry. I just want it ready and normal for next year.

I will let you know how everything feels and the power it makes when it's finished.

DSC00501.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00501.jpg
    DSC00501.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks. I know the beginning story is lengthy, the rest will be short updates.

We'll see what he says about the pulley. I might be able to squeak out another pound with just a power pipe. I can't touch my Dads Shelby outta the hole, 45MPH roll is somewhat even, and 70MPH roll, I can pull on him. Him and I both want to go to the track so it's safe and fair...I just want to beat him...lol

YEAAAA teh kewbra is getting some love and attention!!!! :nice::nice:

I know man, it's been a looong time. This summer, I detailed the hell out of it. I wetsanded some slight scratches from brushes and towels, I wetsanded some spots that shrunk when it was painted in 2001, I touched up other areas of the paint. I was thinking of painting it again, but my Dad brought up a good point. Do I really want it all perfect again, like it was 7 years ago, just to have new rock chips and other blemishes again that bother me now.....mmmm...not really. I actaully didn't like how nice my black notch was and how nice Hack Job is. I somewhat "hated" leaving their side even for a minute, and I'm tired of baby sitting my car at car shows and meets.

As it sits now you and him should be a good run at the track... With the added power you want you should be able to walk him.

That's what I'm thinking. The street is close, I won't discuss details.

I know he's nervous about the track because he's never been there. I now he'll drive just fine, but I've heard traction is a major issue with these GT500's and some are running low 13's because of it. :eek: Even though he can afford tires, I want to buy a pair of drag radials for him...it's the least I could do after all he's done for me. :)

Sounds like a good plan, maybe I can talk my g/f into putting a sc on her's! Just a suggestion, is the flywheel stock? Maybe this would be the time to just get a billet steel one? Interested to find out what it makes with the extra couple pounds.

Sounds like a good plan, maybe I can talk my g/f into putting a sc on her's! Just a suggestion, is the flywheel stock? Maybe this would be the time to just get a billet steel one? Interested to find out what it makes with the extra couple pounds.

It is by far the most fun in a Mustang. I don't regret supercharging it. The only thing I recommend is because it's expensive, make sure you keep the car for at least 5 years to make it worth it. It makes all that money seem like nothing the longer you keep it. Just my .02.

My flywheel is stock. I thought of upgrading to something lighter, or upgrade to an 11", but I'm trying to keep the cost of repair down since I'm paying for labor. I have an upgraded 11" in Hack Job, but the previous owner did that to my donor car before he wrecked it. That sucked too...because I ordered a 10.5 and when I got it apart it turned out to be an 11". That cost be 50 more bucks for an 11", and a 20% restocking fee ($41.99) on the 1st clutch....:mad::shrug:

The upgraded boost...is a maybe right now. I'll see how much all this is gonna be and how much extra that would be.

Got my 3rd/4th gear billit keys and springs. I can't believe what I got cost 75+ 10 shipping. It's just 3 tiny looking keys that are the size of a tic-tacs. Hmm...as long as they do their job, I guess it'll be okay. Better than the stock hollow keys that the T5 T45 and T56 come with. Don't have my camera today, but they are really nothing to see. I'll post em up later though as this is a progress thread. Can't wait till Saturday/Monday when I take the car there.

The Cobra was dropped off on Saturday. Got to race my Dad again in his GT500 on the way there, so that was fun.....oh yeah, about the car....:D

I got a call today that the transmission will be out soon. I'm going to get it when it's ready have it gone through and bring it back. I'm also having him check the passenger motor mount because my drivers side I replaced last summer and the pasenger side looked like a biotch with the L/T's on. If it's bad, they are replacing it. I'm having them install a new water pump because mine is seeping a little bit. The blower and bracket has to be pulled off for that, so it's better to just let them do that. The coolant is 5 years old as well, so new antifreeze is a good idea. I'm glad I don't have to work on the car. School is in full swing, and I've been working on this 10 page paper all this week.

I'll be back in a few days when I know more about the trans. :nice:

Vids of racing the GT500???

That's hard to do when it's behind me......:D

Oh BTW...PM sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, this time it was window to window, with me pulling up high....very high. :eek:

Glad to see you got the notch sold. I know that must have been bugging you.

Even happier to see you're getting back into the Cobra. 32vs are a tight fight, I can see why you are letting someone else do the work while you focus on school.

GL, look forward to seeing your comments further on.

Thanks a lot man. Yeah, I'll keep up on this. I just got the transmission back and I had my driver take it over to my transmission shop for disassembly and to put in those new billet teeth. He said those will help 3rd and 4th tremendously. He knew right away how junky the stock ones are because of them being hollow. He was happy to see I went with those. I feel better now too, because I thought I was crazy paying 85 bucks for those 3 tiny teeth....lol. He should call me later today or Monday when he gets it apart and lets me know whats wrong or what needs replacing. Mainly 4th and reverse were the problems. I also had my driver drop a new water pump off at the shop so they had something to do while the trans is gone. It's also getting an FRPP clutch kit and getting the flywheel turned.

On a side note, after this thread is complete, I will bring it back when install the new headlights and paint the hood and front bumper...(I'm debating the whole car) over the winter...prolly late winter/early spring time. I CAN'T wait til it is done and the driveability will be so much easier. :D:D:D

cool cool.i would prob pick a diff clutch though,everyone i know has always had problems with that clutch,i think specs are the ****.also you'll pick up power from the longtubes alone.should be nice.good luck