Paint and Body My car is finally home

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
I ended up stripping all the factory paint off as well. Don't mind the mess, I don't work at that shop anymore. Couldn't get those guys to keep any thing clean!

EDA36762-C26F-439F-9BBF-9C476DBA7A88.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The back glass needs to come out due to the amount of heat that the window seals were exposed to. It got hot enough to melt the polyurethane adhesive and crack the windshield all the way around it.

Hagerty is aware of the shop possibly cutting corners. They're also aware that it was painted without prior approval so the shop may have painted the car basically for free.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with everything Blakeus said, if the car wasn't detrimed before paint what else did they cut corners on. Also, they are working from an insurance estimate, if removing those items is on the estimate and they didn't do them, that's technically insurance fraud, if you need leverage to get things done right.
Exactly. If its not on the estimate they need to supplement the ins co for anything not on the sheet. The ins co will pay them for it.

The back glass needs to come out due to the amount of heat that the window seals were exposed to. It got hot enough to melt the polyurethane adhesive and crack the windshield all the way around it.

Hagerty is aware of the shop possibly cutting corners. They're also aware that it was painted without prior approval so the shop may have painted the car basically for free.
Maybe twice.

The windows not being out of the quarters are a sure way to have it chip later . Along with all the door locks .

Replacement light quality is about the same from any company these days . Basically the same person re pops them all.

Dropped off the new OEM door handles yesterday. Talked to the owners uncle, he was the only person there, and the owner is supposed to call me back Monday. Hopefully we can get on the same page.

Quick update.

I talked to the shop manager yesterday over the phone. He was a bit distraught that my car has fell through the cracks the way it has. He assured me the car will be fixed right, and that the original look of the car will be maintained.

My theory was correct pertaining to them not even going over the estimate, and no communication from the front to the back of the shop concerning the task at hand.

The individual that took my car in no longer works there, and it sounds like he screwed up a lot and left a giant mess to clean up. For some reason he told the shop that my car was a rush job. Those words were never uttered by me. From the beginning I told them to take their time and fix it right.

I would like to be able to drive it sometime this summer or fall since I barely drove it last year with all the terrible weather we had. But having a car that was fixed correctly is more important.

As far as the house, asbestos removal is underway. They are hoping to be done by the middle of next week. Then the real repair work can begin. I sure am tired of living under other roofs beside my own though.

Reactions: 2 users
Been following along..... glad they’re getting it straightened out for you!!
One would be enough to worry about, but to have the house and the car adding stress is too much. If people could just do the right thing the first time!!
Hope they both come together soon!!

You have to pay the shop that initial amount and the deductible. Any supplemental checks usually go directly to the shop. Id be surprised if they didn't have a supplement. Do you know if they asked Hagerty for any additional items? Additional parts and labor??

That will be difficult because Hagerty issued me the check, not the shop, and I already cashed it.
Oh, your fine then, that means they aren't getting paid until your happy. Like Blakeus said, if they have a supplement Haggerty will usually pay the shop directly.
I know it's a pain, but at least you have some leverage to get the car done correctly.

I did pay them the initial amount (almost $6500). There is a $0 deductible on the policy.

The manager has assured me that it will be done and that it isn't done until I'm satisfied. They are also obligated to bring the car back to pre loss condition per Hagerty, and the insurance will step in if they have to.

Since the one employee is no longer working there (I assume he was let go?) and the manager seems to want things to be right, I’d say you’re probably in good shape now! Fingers crossed!

Nothing new on the car, but the asbestos removal is complete. I'll let the pictures do the talking...

20200505_133056.jpg

20200505_133444.jpg

This was the kitchen

20200505_133135.jpg
Living room

20200505_133106.jpg

Master bedroom

I have other pictures but you get the idea.

Reactions: 2 users