My car is grinding into 2nd!

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
I have been driving my car now for about 2 weeks with no problems. As soon as the temperature started dropping I started to develop a first to second gear grind. I have read about other people having this problem fixed because there is a TSB for it... How do they work? I dont think I have ever taken a car in for a TSB. I ordered an MGW shifter would changing the tranny fluid help any??

I tried searching but I could really find anything :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I have been driving my car now for about 2 weeks with no problems. As soon as the temperature started dropping I started to develop a first to second gear grind. I have read about other people having this problem fixed because there is a TSB for it... How do they work? I dont think I have ever taken a car in for a TSB. I ordered an MGW shifter would changing the tranny fluid help any??

Well I would see if you are eligible for free repairs under the TSB before putting on the aftermarket shifter. Take it to your dealer and I'm sure they can help you out

Bet your 00 didnt have that problem. T-45 FTW!!! Theres a multi page (and I mean multi) on the t-3650 issues. Id give it a shot and see how people got their messes fixed.

I bet it is a syncro issue but, how knows until you take
your T-3650 apart.
+1 You can read the T-3650 issues thread (million pages) and
see if that mite help you out.
What I would do is before you install your MGW shifter
take your car to the Ford Dealership or your mechanic
to see what they fined and fix it. I wouldn't let that go because
it could cost you a transmission.

Yeah, mine is better when the car is warmed up... thats why i was wondering if the fluid should be changed.

There is a certain tranny fluid that Tremec actually recommended for the tranny....do a search and you should find what fluid most have seen better results with.

The only thing the boggles my mind is that if it's a mechanical issue how come it seems to go away after it's warmed up some? This issue isn't just with the mustang and the tremec but I've heard other makes and models with same issues.

Welcome to owning a 3650.
If you are still under warranty, go to the dealer and complain. From what I have seen, it takes them a few tries to get it right, so be ready to deal with them for a while. Also, make sure any aftermarket stuff (shifter) is removed before you take it in. They love to deny work because of modifications.

Well, how exactly does a TSB work? This summer I got one done when my car for an emergency brake issue when it just happened to be at the dealership. They did it with out even asking me and I didnt have to pay a thing. So do you have to be under warrany for a TSB?????

This is VERY off topic, but did you get your car back from those bastards that stole it?

I feel the need to resurrect this old thread because my problem is worsening. I installed the MGW shifter to try and help things, but it didnt help. In fact it made the trans a lot louder.

So yesterday I decide to change the tranny fluid. I pickup 4 quarts of non-synthetic mercon III and head back to my house. I get it level, unscrew the fill plug and fluid starts coming out!! Ya, thats no suppose to happen! There was probably 1/4-1/2 a quart that came out of the fill hole; once that stopped draining I drained the rest of it through the drain hole and refilled her with 3.5qts I found a couple places online recommending underfilling it a little to help with the 1-2 grind issue. Needless to say, this didnt help- it still grinds. It does seem to shift smoother, but when I put it in 5th on the highway there is a grinding/clanking/vibrating noise now! Where in the hell did that come from? It drives just fine, but it makes a horrible noise; so my question is what do I do next? Drive it till it breaks or use the money I have for my kooks headers to replace the trans?

It's really a shame...I know. Mine isn't all that bad, but just irritating at times. Why the stupid stock 3650 trans are not recalled I don't know. I mean it's not even Ford's problem it's the company that built them Tremec. Therefore there are a few things I'd do.

1. Take it to a GOOD Ford repair shop and complain about it, and see what they are willing to do.

2. Call Tremec and explain to them what you've tried and see if they can do something to help.

3. Find a good performance shop that deals with Mustangs and understands tranny rebuilds and see what they can do.

4. Purchase a built 3650 as suggested before or a TKO or T56 when you cant stand it anymore or the stupid tranny breaks.

Yea- I was just going to deal with it untill it breaks, but I have a chunk of cash which is suppose to buy me full exhaust in the spring.. And Id rather have a stock car that can operate rather than a modified car that is inoperable.

I will call some places tomorrow and see where I get..
Any other suggestions are welcome!