My first time at the track- new meaning to 5.Slow

Well I just got back from the track for the first time and boy am I dissappointed, I knew I was gonna be slow but geez. I had 3 runs, two which were 15.9@88 in which I used O/D and a 15.8@88 mph without the O/D. I tryed it with the O/D only cuz this other guy in a mustang told me his ran better with it on. My best 60' time was 2.33 with a reaction time of .643 but I got that down to .184 by the last run but ended up going slower. Does reaction time effect the 1/4 mile time at all? So is my car running healthy or do these numbers look like they have potential with a little better driving. Now i know the mod bug is really gonna hit me :rolleyes: I have base timing BTW

• Sponsors (?)

I'm thinking you should try to get them down to like 1.8 - 2.1's. I just realized that you have a vert ... and an auto. So it's gonna take a little bit more work for ya' to see some nice times. At least you tried it. Now you have your baseline. Manifest the goal ... then work to get there. Not just power mods ... you gotta make it stick to the ground, too & get good launches.

What was the elevation at that track?

keep o/d off unless you want to blow up your tranny lol

O/D + WOT = kablammo AODE

those times arent that bad for an aode vert. do the hard hitting basics. gears, bump timing, pulleys, stuff like that. then get inside that tranny.

i wish they had some form of Raid for this mod bug. its starting to infect everyone LOL

Dan95-5.0 said:
keep o/d off unless you want to blow up your tranny lol

O/D + WOT = kablammo AODE

those times arent that bad for an aode vert. do the hard hitting basics. gears, bump timing, pulleys, stuff like that. then get inside that tranny.

i wish they had some form of Raid for this mod bug. its starting to infect everyone LOL

Oh cr*p, blow up the tranny? I thought overdrive was just like an extra gear, guess its meant more to keep the rpm's low for gas. Well i guess theres still hope, kinda sucks having the slowest GT offered (AODE, VERT) but it pays of in the summer city driving! I tryed launching at 1500-1800 rpm dont know if it makes much of a difference, and Im not sure how high above sea level the track is, how does that effect the time? I never understood that

RedStallion43 said:
Oh cr*p, blow up the tranny? I thought overdrive was just like an extra gear, guess its meant more to keep the rpm's low for gas. Well i guess theres still hope, kinda sucks having the slowest GT offered (AODE, VERT) but it pays of in the summer city driving! I tryed launching at 1500-1800 rpm dont know if it makes much of a difference, and Im not sure how high above sea level the track is, how does that effect the time? I never understood that

Did you even get into OD during the race? I never got into od at all. (i'm pretty sure...)

To launch yeah you should brake stall to 1800...that seems the best for me.
I just ran a 15.6 @ 90 with a horrrrrrrible 2.4 60 in which I didn't have a chance to launch...long story just kinda floored it. My car has a few more mods so...I guess 88 is in the ok ballpark. I know my car has like 15.1 in it...I just need to get there again. THat was my one and only run, besides a 17 which I didnt go ...

94GTLaserRC said:
Reaction time does not affect the quarter mile time...It just means you will lose the race.
RC
I thought there was some correlation between reaction time and 1/4 mile time. But the correlation was really driven by how deep or shallow you stage. That is, if you stage deep you won't get much roll out and you will get a good reaction time. But your 1/4 mile time will suffer. Compare that to a shallow stage (just breaking the stage beam), where you would get more roll out before you leave the beam - yielding a slower reaction time and a better 60' and 1/4 mile time (because you had more time outside of your E.T. where you can gain speed).

Let me caution that I am a total 1/4 mile novice, and I am only repeating what I have read elsewhere (can't even remember where). So please clarify if you know any more on this.

the O/D button doesn't affect the first three gears! the only thing that is bad for it is shifting into O/D at WOT. (unless i'm terribly mistaken, in that case, someone please correct me, but i'm almost certain that i'm right)

RedStallion43 said:
I tryed launching at 1500-1800 rpm dont know if it makes much of a difference
How exactly are you launching an auto at 1500-1800 rpm? Please don't tell me you're reving the engine to that RPM range and dropping it into drive from neutral. That would really make an unhappy tranny.

The best way to launch an auto is to preload the drivetrain. You do this by having the car in gear to begin with, left foot on the brake pedal (you could use a line lock too) while the right foot presses the accelerator pedal and brings the RPM up that way. When you launch, you partially unwind the system. This is actually easier on the driveshaft, u-joints, axles than the way us stick guys launch (rev and dump the clutch). You really should have a better torque converter before doing this because you could balloon and crack the stocker if you get too skinny pedal happy.
RedStallion43 said:
and Im not sure how high above sea level the track is, how does that effect the time? I never understood that
If the track is at or below sea level you will have a higher MPH and lower E.T. by a bit because the barometric pressure is high (natural supercharger :nice:). If the track is high above sea level, the barometric pressure will be lower, therefore, lower MPH, higher E.T.

Synned said:
To launch yeah you should brake stall to 1800...that seems the best for me.
I just ran a 15.6 @ 90 with a horrrrrrrible 2.4 60 in which I didn't have a chance to launch...long story just kinda floored it. My car has a few more mods so...I guess 88 is in the ok ballpark. I know my car has like 15.1 in it...I just need to get there again. THat was my one and only run, besides a 17 which I didnt go ...

If im correct you have only advanced timing, pulleys and a catback correct?
I have just the catback, so if you went 15.6 and I went 15.8 it sounds like your car is just about right with mine, however you say you can run a 15.1! So your saying If i got pulleys and advanced my timing I'd be running similar? hmm Im a little skeptical

illwood said:
How exactly are you launching an auto at 1500-1800 rpm? Please don't tell me you're reving the engine to that RPM range and dropping it into drive from neutral. That would really make an unhappy tranny.

NOOOO way I would never do that, I just brake stalled it like you mentioned

RedStallion43 said:
If im correct you have only advanced timing, pulleys and a catback correct?
I have just the catback, so if you went 15.6 and I went 15.8 it sounds like your car is just about right with mine, however you say you can run a 15.1! So your saying If i got pulleys and advanced my timing I'd be running similar? hmm Im a little skeptical

NOOOO way I would never do that, I just brake stalled it like you mentioned

My 60 foot was horrible, i didnt get to launch. I know the car has more in it!I just floored it. No way our cars are high 15 sec cars...its the driver in both situations.

That isn't too bad. Was your car bogging or spinning? What are your mods?

The first time I went I ran a 17.1 :nonono:
The second time I went was 15.405 at 90.157 with a 2.327 60 foot

That is with the mods in sig, except tweecer. Next time I go I am shooting for the 14s.