My LS1 Notch Project (DUW)

• Sponsors (?)

Total cost really isn't that much when you think about it. Here's a list of everything. Keep in mind not everything here is needed like the 5-lugswap. I could have also used a stock 4.6 k-member with modified 4.6l mounts which another guy has done.

LS1/6sp/Pcm and harness was an ever swap for selling the 5.0 motor tko msd and 5.0 wiring harness.

K-member setup W/ coilovers/spindles/wheels/brakebooster/braided brakes lines was $900 after selling the draglights that were on the car when I bought it.

The rearend was $50 after selling the stock one.

MCmachine guage panel plus guages was $560. $5 for paint to paint it black.

Getting the driveshaft done was $45 for the u-joint and installation. I got the yoke for free from a firend who switched to a 9" and had a spare driveshaft lying aroung.

Getting the trans crossmember welded with steel was $45

Getting the headers modified was $40 from a exhaust shop that Im tight with. Plus $50 for the flanges.

Water pump pully was $40
Belt $35
Misc hoses for cooling and stuff was about $40

MM Steering shaft is going to put me back $200:bang:

Beer/Food/DR Pepper $Still counting

$250 for ls6 intake/cam/pushrods

$250 to oil pan modified

$160 for vette return style fuel rails

$100 for fuel lines and adapters from summit.

$120 Relays for fans/pcm/fuel pump

$25 Steel for the custom motor mount adapters

And I still need to buy a h/x-pipe and catback because I sold it because I was going turbo when I started the teardown.

Power Steering rack plus custom lines and fitting from MM was $325
Steeda Drop rack bushing $40

Air inlet elbow + clamps was $30
K&N $45

Tilton clutch master with fittings to make custom line. $100

And then all the fluids. I dont remember the prices for oil/filter/psfluid/dot4 brake fluid for the clutch. dot3 brake fluid. trand fluid. Coolant. water wetter.

Anyone want to add that up?

srothfuss said:
Very nice project you have there... Despite all of the comments, it took a lot of work to get a superior motor to mount up properly.

LOL. Especially when you buy a k-member that should allow you to bolt the motor right up. Then when it doesn't you have to buy drop rack bushings. Figure out how to make custom mount adapters to raise the motor. To clear the rack and then drop a couple hundred on a modified oil pan.:bang:

I must say it took a lot of dedication to get this thing done. There were plenty of times I was thinking to myself "What did I get myself into." I started with project with not so good fabricating skills. And was able to get everything done with a little creativity. Especially the clutch master. Thats something I will never do again on a mustang.

I think its pretty cool and original, the LS1 is a great example of evolved pushrod power.

I wonder if a mustang magazine or gm magazine would actually feature it when you are done. All the diehards out there on either side would probably piss and moan about it though.

I guess I am on the fence on this one but your going to raise some eyebrows when you beat them camaro's. kinda like getting shot with your own gun. Just curious if that color is Royal Blue code LA. Ford motor or chevy its still a cool car.

honestly i applaud such ingenuity and everything, i love newer TA's (not slowmaros so much, but they are ok only b/c of the power) and the 6-speed. But i would personally never do such an awful thing to such a beautiful notch. I dont see why you didnt just buy a serious bottom end, and slow a turbo on there. No one would be able to touch you for that kind of money! :shrug:

Putting a Chevy motor in a Ford is tradition in the hotrod world. In fact, that is the official definitian of a hotrod, putting another make engine into a car. GM knows how to make a modern engine that is fuel efficient, makes a broad powerband, and has lower emmisions without having to make it complicated.

Not only that, but by doing the LS1 conversion, you just opened up a door to other things, such as a LS7 conversion. Which if I had the $10K to spend on a motor that is probally what I would do. The LS series motor is the new 5.0HO.

I own a 5.0HO, LT1, and a LS1. They just keep getting better, and more expensive.

9350coupe said:
You live on the north side I seen your car before?

That would be me. Although if you saw me driving the car it would have been on draglights.

You arn't by any chance Jeff. The previous owner of the car. I hear you got a blown notch. Couldn't help but notice your avitar.

:nice: :nice: :nice: Awesome car, man!

It takes a lot to be willing to risk criticism from everyone you show your car to in order to do something different that you can be proud of.

I bet you're gonna have a killer time driving that thing around.

LS1 + 6-speed + Notch = :jaw:

Beautiful. :nice: :nice: :nice: