My "Magnum 500-afacation of a Pony R wheel.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
At our last juncture, it was decided (unanimously.) that the Pony R's needed "something" to set them off.

While some wanted to see me completely replace the wheel, ( NO) and others wanted me to black out the center (NO again), I decided that they definitely needed some...... "darkening". The problem is how much to black out.
Too much and your screwed because the sanding to prep the wheel for paint effectively ruins it. Not enough, and you wasted a whole bunch of time.

This is what I decided to do for now. Subtle, so as not to be an "In your face" kinda change, but just enough to make you look at it to see what "isn't right".

mustangengineswap294.jpg

After one full hour of prep work, taping and masking, I decided to black-out the center openings and leave the spokes silver ala Magnum 500.

mustangengineswap296.jpg

When you "un-mask" the thing, this is what you get.

mustangengineswap295.jpg

Then you put em' back on your car, and drive it to the local watering hole, park right in front, and this is what you get:

mustangengineswap297.jpg

Soo...... too much, or not enough?

• Sponsors (?)

Now it looks kind of like a 96 Cobra wheel with a different center cap.

p91492_small+1996_Ford_Mustang_Cobra+Wheel0.jpg

Personally, I think they look great in stock form. I rocked Pony R's for about 7 years. They're sweet.

mustangengineswap297.jpg

Mike...

I've asked myself two questions.

Do the wheels look good?

I answered, "yes".

Do the wheels belong on THAT car?

My answer was, "No".

Being able to follow your project only hit and miss, I saw the thread title and thought, "SAWEET! He put Magnum 500s on that car!"

Those wheel would look great on a Mustang. IMO though, not yours.

These, on the other hand:

Wheel Vintiques 54-5812042 - Wheel Vintiques 54 Series Magnum 500 Chrome Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

:nice:

Don't get me wrong... they don't look bad AT ALL! Just didn't strike me as fitting into the direction you went with the build.

Well Noob, I appreciate your perspective, but i have a problem w/ your wheel choice.

They're 15's. They're 5 lug. They're too narrow. The back spacing is all wrong.

I guess they're problem(s) actually.

I agree, True Magnum 500's are my wheel choice as well, save for the issues above. I am gonna put bigger brakes on this car, so I gotta maintain a 17 as a minimum. The Factory Mach 1 wheels would be another option, but some of the same stuff listed above applies for those as well.

So alas....it is what it is. MM and FF will have to take pictures of the thing this weekend w/ the wheels that are on it.:nonono:

Someone was making a 17 inch modern version of the Magnums...i thought it was Wheel Vintiques. They're probably out of production but they were a badass wheel and i've wanted them for my coupe for years. They'd fit this perfect.

I found several 17 x 8 versions, (including the wheel vintiques version for 559.00 ea :eek:) They are all wrong size. I want a 17 x 6.5/7 front, and a 17 x 10 rear. The B/S on the rears have to be 7.25 like they are now.

Well Noob, I appreciate your perspective, but i have a problem w/ your wheel choice.

They're 15's. They're 5 lug. They're too narrow. The back spacing is all wrong.

I guess they're problem(s) actually.

I agree, True Magnum 500's are my wheel choice as well, save for the issues above. I am gonna put bigger brakes on this car, so I gotta maintain a 17 as a minimum. The Factory Mach 1 wheels would be another option, but some of the same stuff listed above applies for those as well.

So alas....it is what it is. MM and FF will have to take pictures of the thing this weekend w/ the wheels that are on it.:nonono:

Hey Mike....

Once upon a time I called about the aluminum replicas that I think someone else here mentioned... I'm pretty sure that they can make them in pretty much any width and offset you like. All they do is drop the blank down on the machine and go to town.

They'd still cost you the < $500 and up price for the aluminum replicas (and perhaps even more) but it might be worth the phone call to Vintiques just to check it out. I'm pretty sure they're not limited to what is in the catalog.

personally, i think this wheel would look best on your car. I'd say if you are keeping the pony R's, dont change them anymore. What you have looks good and more black is gonna be distracting.

image.php

Well I found them in 18 x 9, and 18 x 10 variations at American Muscle for the 2010-12 mustang. And they're cheap enough ( 144.00) but,....I don't know if an 18 will be too much rim, and not enough tire (sidewall height). No choice on backspacing,
And there's the 5 lug thing. So these are out. I know now that I'm gonna have to change the thing over to 5 lug when I make this change, But since I have 4 new wheels and tires that are brand new,.....(See above)

personally, i think this wheel would look best on your car. I'd say if you are keeping the pony R's, dont change them anymore. What you have looks good and more black is gonna be distracting.

image.php

I agree w/ you. I'm gonna have to sell those things one day, and I don't want to "modify" them past a point of not being able to. And I really like those wheels, what brand are they?

And they have "Ben Hur Spinners":nice: