• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

My next project , a 428 build!

  • Thread starter Thread starter horse sence
  • Start date Start date Jul 29, 2026
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
Next
First Prev 2 of 6 Next Last

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 6, 2026
#21
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • #21
Cleaned and opened the front oil drain back hole and cleaned out and smoothed the rear oil drain back holes
 
Last edited: Aug 12, 2026

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 6, 2026
#22
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • #22
This thing had some nasty flashing inside and out side ,I smoothed all the webbing smoothed all sharp edges and took down the out side flashing just because they were nasty . De bured all the main journals deburred the main caps
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 6, 2026
#23
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • #23
Opened and matched the oil passege for the oil pump ,will match the oil pump soon as i get one .
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 6, 2026
#24
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • #24
Well ,there goes my cam shaft !
Have to pick up a new chain saw in the morning ! That sucker is 60 feet long and 4 feet across!
 

Attachments

  • 20260806_150056.webp
    1 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: LILCBRA

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,356
21,558
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 6, 2026
#25
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • #25
I dunno man. It looks pretty good right where it is.

Clean up some branches where the fence portion goes and put it [around] the trunk.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 6, 2026
#26
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • #26
Every time I start on somthing of mine ! It had to be like Elons rocket hitting the moon ,a 1 foot piece about a foot and a half across is about 100 pounds ...I didn't hear it fall so I don't know if it made a sound!
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 7, 2026
#27
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #27
Well ,I have to put off the new cam for a bit but this new sawy thingy is really cool ,and it started first pull !
 
Reactions: LILCBRA
K

Kris.R

New Member
Oct 29, 2017
2
0
1
Aug 7, 2026
#28
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • #28
Very cool progress thread, and sorry about the tree… it’s best that it fell now and not when El Niño touches down!
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 8, 2026
#29
  • Aug 8, 2026
  • #29
Hey ,you know what's funner than putting in a spiral wrist pin lock ? Taking one out again because you put a friggen piston on back wards ! bet you only do it once!
 
Reactions: LILCBRA and Kris.R

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,507
5,500
194
Corn County USA
Aug 8, 2026
#30
  • Aug 8, 2026
  • #30
Funny story - the first time I had my 302 apart I ended up putting all of the rod caps on backward. It took me a minute to figure out why the engine wouldn't spin on the stand before I figured it out. I realize it's not your first build, but it happens to the best of us regardless! It's just one of those moments you can have a laugh at later - which a friend of mine still has every time we talk about it.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 8, 2026
#31
  • Aug 8, 2026
  • #31
Well ,I had just told myself ,make sure you check front to back on those pistons before you put those clips in ,but did I listen ,no of course not !
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 8, 2026
#32
  • Aug 8, 2026
  • #32
I have another set of CJ heads here ,they are in great shape but the exhaust side is strange around the ports. It's about 10 thousands deep around all 8 ports ,almost like it had ran an oversized exhaust gasket and it burned into the surface . Now I see no reason that surface couldn't be milled about 10 thousands ,anyone see a problem there?
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,356
21,558
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 8, 2026
#33
  • Aug 8, 2026
  • #33
They're steel so, probably won't be an issue. While you're at it, measure the depth of the bolt holes so that you don't get surprised.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 8, 2026
#34
  • Aug 8, 2026
  • #34
Three pass through ,the fourth is about 3/4 so header bolts through the exhaust flange should be no problem. I already ran a tap through to clean them out ,390 and 428s are bad about welding in exhaust flange bolts and not fun to remove when they snap off trying to remove them . I will take them in Monday and see what it takes to clean them up .
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 8, 2026
#35
  • Aug 8, 2026
  • #35
Screw that tree and chain saw ,I ordered my cam and lifters anyway ! Also ordered a true roller chain and gear set . Next on the list ,a new Cobra oil pan and cobra valve covers . This sucker is going together !
 
Reactions: Kris.R

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,356
21,558
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 9, 2026
#36
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • #36
Muahahahaha!
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,507
5,500
194
Corn County USA
Aug 9, 2026
#37
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • #37
horse sence said:
Three pass through ,the fourth is about 3/4 so header bolts through the exhaust flange should be no problem. I already ran a tap through to clean them out ,390 and 428s are bad about welding in exhaust flange bolts and not fun to remove when they snap off trying to remove them . I will take them in Monday and see what it takes to clean them up .
Click to expand...

Probably wouldn't be an issue structurally, but machining them flat again would ensure the best possible scenario for your new gasket to seal.

horse sence said:
Screw that tree and chain saw ,I ordered my cam and lifters anyway ! Also ordered a true roller chain and gear set . Next on the list ,a new Cobra oil pan and cobra valve covers . This sucker is going together !
Click to expand...

Atta boy! I mean it's only money, right?!


Seriously though, I know that feeling. Sometimes that's all we can do when stuff pops up that's kind of unexpected and out of our control to try to derail our plans. We stick to our plan.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 11, 2026
#38
  • Aug 11, 2026
  • #38
I took the exhaust side to a 36 in table type belt sander ,I could probably get it all out but don't want to go to far with them ,I may go a bit more but we will see. The copper header gaskets cover everything so I am sure they would seal as they are .only had 180 grit but 80 would probably knock it right out ! I kind of think they were running gaskets that were to big for the ports

 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 11, 2026
#39
  • Aug 11, 2026
  • #39
That's odd because even the stock gaskets are to big and these are the 6090 CJ heads. I will have to compare them with my other set but I know they are right!
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,413
8,356
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 11, 2026
#40
  • Aug 11, 2026
  • #40
Well ,my fresh heads ports line up with the gaskets a little better ,they are all 6090 N heads ,i don't think the first set has been ported ,although the fresh set are over the counter heads so maybe ford did somthing different with the ports .the first set is the set I would like to run after some clean up because the y are set up for a higher lift cam and they actually only have about 1,000. Miles since a rebuild so i figure I would break them down and clean them up,they just sat in the shed for about 4 years .
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
Next
First Prev 2 of 6 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
458
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
9
Forced Induction Prepping for supercharger on non-stock build
  • 91fox427
  • Nov 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
487
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 5, 2026
Qtrhrse23
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
436
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
Engine Gas in my oil
  • limp
  • Jun 15, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
35
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 16, 2026
Mindseye007
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?