my stang wont go into 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear?

briffdogg12

Jul 28, 2007
my stang wont go into 1st, 3rd and 5th gear?

hi, i have a 1996 convertible 4.6L stang and it will only go into 1st,3rd and 5th gear about 1/3 of the time, the other times it either wont go in at all or slip right out when pressing the gas, would this problem be in the transmission and is anyone familiar with how much this might be to repair?

• Sponsors (?)

They're bolts that are meant to stop the shifter from travelling to far and bending and breaking stuff inside the transmission when you're abusing it. There's one on both sides of the shifter base - one to the front for 1,3 & 5 and one at the back for 2 & 4. If they're not adjusted properly, they can prevent the shifter from completely engaging the gears leading to symptoms like popping out of gear.

edit: I got to typing and forgot which gears were affected. This sounds more like worn synchros or bad clutch adjustment than shifter stops, but it's easy to check and free so rule them out first.

what may i ask are shift stops?

Usually a bolt on either side of the shifter, front and back that stop it from traveling too far. If the stops unwind they could keep the actual shifter from getting the transmission fully into gear. The gears you have a problem with are all on the same side of the transmission, so it would stand to reason that there's something going on with the stick... barring any funny noises/vibrations you haven't mentioned.

:lol: Edit: Or what patman said.

The shifter has a ball type end that fits into a slot that manipulates the shift rail. There is a bushing in the slot that ensures a tight fit and smooth movement when shifting. If that bushing breaks or wears out there would be a lot of play in the slot and it would not engage the rail properly.