Mystery Drone

Beaux

Feb 8, 2018
Texas
I’m getting a droning noise when driving. To clarify, it only starts around or above 40mph never below and only when under power. If I touch the accelerator I get the drone, if I let off it goes away. I get it ONLY with the accelerator being pressed above 40mph, no other times at all. Can’t figure it out therefor I am a new member of StangNet... Thanks in advance. 2001 Mustang GT convertible. Also the frequency of the drone increases with speed.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

If the noise is coming from the rear, my vote is excessive ware or not enough pinion bearing pre-load. This could also be incorrect ring gear back lash. The fact the problem happens on load tells you which side of the ring gear the problem is on.

Now for the bad news. Likely the best "fix" value is a rear end over haul.

Reactions: 1 user
It does sound like it’s coming from the rear but sometimes it’s hard to tell. I was thinking it might be the rear end as well but I really don’t know enough to say for sure. I’m willing to bet you’re 100% right though. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Looks like i’m gonna be rebuilding the rear end.