N00b engine swap questions

MaxTheHooker

Jan 15, 2008
Ok, so i've had my lincoln up on jacks in my driveway for so long it's started to dig holes into the pavement. :(

with that said, i have an 02 sensor stuck that i need out in order to get to the exhaust to unbolt it... anyone know how to get to one of those? it's in a real tight spot on the right side and i have no idea how to get to it...

also, disconnecting the injectors..... what's the easiest way to do it without taking off the upper manifold? my neighbor (who primarily works with hondas) suggested taking off the dizzy and just unbolting the fuel rails and just sliding them out...

i really don't wanna touch the dizzy and was wondering if there's anyway to get them off without moving the dizzy or taking off the upper manifold?

how do you guys do it?

• Sponsors (?)

You'll need to take the top intake off, which really isn't that big of a deal to get the injectors out.

I'd spray some PB blaster on the O2 senser and let it sit, then try and use a wrench to get it off.

Ok, so i've had my lincoln up on jacks in my driveway for so long it's started to dig holes into the pavement. :(

with that said, i have an 02 sensor stuck that i need out in order to get to the exhaust to unbolt it... anyone know how to get to one of those? it's in a real tight spot on the right side and i have no idea how to get to it...

also, disconnecting the injectors..... what's the easiest way to do it without taking off the upper manifold? my neighbor (who primarily works with hondas) suggested taking off the dizzy and just unbolting the fuel rails and just sliding them out...

i really don't wanna touch the dizzy and was wondering if there's anyway to get them off without moving the dizzy or taking off the upper manifold?

how do you guys do it?

our rails are connected in the front and back. so you cant just slide it out. i have taken out all my injectors before without removing the upper but it was a pain in my butt. It only takes minutes to take an upper off.

and as far as the stuck o2. They make special sockets to get to them but if you are throwing the one you have away a nice pair of vice grips will do the trick.

The 02 sensor has a special socket to remove them. I usually use an end wrench except when they are real tight, then I use that socket with a long extension bar on the rachet. Don't be afraid to use a little heat too. Heat is like a magic wand when it comes to old cars.

I would just unbolt the upper intake. Much faster and easier and that way you can see what you are doing so you won't brake your injector clips. I wouldn't remove the dizzy either, then you will have to mark it and possibly retime the engine later on.

They make O2 sensor sockets that have a slot in them which makes it easier to remove the O2 sensor. If you aren't going to save it you could just use some pliers or try and break the sensor off. As far as the injectors, why do you want to remove them without removing the upper intake? Are you replacing the injectors? You shouldn't need to upgrade them if you are keeping the stock intake.

Is the ultimate goal to get the engine out of the car? If so, what vikingpower said is right on track. Take the HOOD off and leave the engine alone until you get it on a stand.

If you must remove the injectors for some reason, just unbolt all the fasteners that hold it to the lower intake. There is at least 1 bolt hidden under the '5.0 H.O.' badge on the intake (it's been so long I can't remember exactly how many there are - but there's at least 1 there - probably 2...). The badge requires a allen wrench - again, I'm testing my memory here... Reinstall it with a torque wrench and follow the proper tightening sequence.

As far as the O2 sensor goes, the ones on my Mustang were on the H-Pipe. I didn't need to remove them to pull the engine. I can't imagine needing to remove them to pull the enigne but if you do, heat up the female part of the fitting and crank them off with the biggest tool you can find. I had one sieze up in my H-Pipe so it messed up the threads when I removed it. I had to buy a metric tap to fix it. Lesson learned: Use anti-seize compound on the threads (but don't get any on the sensor).