Narrowing 9 inch housing

sosky1

Dec 23, 2004
I just talked with a shop about narrowing a 9 inch housing to fit a 1965 Mustang. They asked about pinion offset; a question nobody else asked. What are all :shrug: the specs I need to make sure this shop does the job correctly? Thanks!
Larry

• Sponsors (?)

Historic: Currie does so many rear ends that I bet when you told them the rear was going into a 65 Mustang they knew exactly what the measurements should be.

I wish I could answer sosky's question though. I didn't think there was any offset for a Mustang. :shrug:

Hey Historic, I have a pair of Currie 28 spline axels with less then 2000 miles on them. From my 65, shortened .5" on each side. I upgraded to large bearing and 31 spline. Are you interested in a spare set cheap?

Chris

HistoricMustang said:
Larry, I am not sure what pinion offset has to do with narrowing a 9" rear end.

I had a '70 9" narrowed by Currie to fit my '65 (plus narrowed an extra 1/2" on each side so 8 1/2" rims would fit). Pinion effects never entered into the conversation.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

The pinion isn't offset in a Stang, it's centered as far as I can recall. This puts the ring gear off to one side and gives you a long and short axle. If you wanted both axles to be the same length, then you'd want to offset the pinion to one side.

What kind of dollars does it cost for a basic shortening? My '65 has an unshortened '69 9" in it (previous owner's handywork) so I'm running inset wheels on the back with wheel covers all around. Two spare tire's are required as the rear size rubs the steering knuckles when put up front. Also, mags look rediculous no matter how you configure them.

Just a general cost please.

narrowing the housing doesnt cost that much.. the parts that add up are stuff like axles, studs etc..

did the car have an 8in originally, and do you have it? 28 spline axles are the same for an 8in and 9in.. you could have the 9in narrowed to use your old axles.. should be around $200, depending on if the spring perches need to be moved.. I'll have to look at the reciepts to see how much I paid..