Need 5.0 buying advice Help! Making decision tommorow! *PICS*

C_Heath

Dec 31, 2004
Im about to make a decision on an LX HB with a 5 speed. This car has been in my town for years and has been used. The paint is pretty good, I can buff so I will be able to help that part. It has been sitting for 2 solid years. The speedo works but is not accurate. The carfax showed 135,000 miles back in 2003. The original cluster has been changed out but is in the trunk. It reads 73XXX so Im sure it has 173k on it.

With that said, it runs strong and the clutch is good. I shifted into 5th pretty hard to see if it would drag and it wouldnt. The Rear Main seal is leaking, Thats pretty much a given.

Every thing works but the air conditioning (sitting for 2 years mind you) but Ill probably delete it anyhow. It has Black ponies on it and it horrible looking but thats changable.

Oil looks good, radiator looks ok, no leaks. I drove it 3 miles out and back. Ran it up to 4500 (owners dad was with me) and it pulled pretty hard. After running it thru 1st and second, I floored it all the way thru 2nd and could feel a small vibration in the shifter (maybe normal).

The motor was strong, it felt a bit warm afterwards but the needle was ok. It smelled like holt mold possibly from sitting.

The owner wants $3000 for this car. Not sure if I can talk him down. He said he would "like" to have $3500 but he would do $3000.

Heres some pix.....please, tell me what you think.

Thanks guys.

Carfax is clean by the way. :SNSign:

100_1303.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1301.jpg

100_1300.jpg

100_1299.jpg

100_1304.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

yeah 3000 is a little steep i only paid 3,500 for my 93 gt vert with 96 thou and a new tranny and top so get him down a little throw away the black poines and saleen wing and there you are( it is amazing how many people i tell to get rid of the saleen wing, considering i have one on my lx, but i guess the body kit makes it work:lol: )

Actually, I just talked to him. I offered him $2200 and at least he didnt fly off the handle. He said he would kick it around a bit. Hes a good guy, I just dont have $4000 to spend on the car and fix ups, I have about $3k. If it works, kool, if not, kool.

Heres my reasing to make me not jump at the chance and buy it for his price or buying it at all. Its a stock LX with 3.73 In the rear. 173k on the clock and she needs work. My main goal was to do a h/c/i on it and see where I can go there. Before the h/c/i I wanted 18" saleen wheels, thats a must. Well, theres what? $4k? and then I still have a stock bottom end with a car with some rough paint and crappy interior.

On the flipside......

Theres 2 cars in the classifieds that are close to this one and have ALL the mods, wheels and all for $3k more then Ill have to pay for the one here in town. That truly prooves that you dont get your money back for your mods. One is in Jersey and I would go borrow the rest if he was within a resonable distance from me. Its a supersweet car, dss and all the hardware. wheels and all so if my guy dont call, its still all good.

Thanks everyone.

I don't know about you guys telling him to offer under 3k, but around here 3k would be a steal for that car. You just don't see nice Fox bodies here anymore. I'd pay 3k for it. :shrug:

Never hurts to see if he'll take less though.

88 Fox GT said:
I don't know about you guys telling him to offer under 3k, but around here 3k would be a steal for that car. You just don't see nice Fox bodies here anymore. I'd pay 3k for it. :shrug:

Never hurts to see if he'll take less though.

Thats what im saying, it may have alot of miles, but its bone stock and dosent look abused. If he is considering 2200, offer him 2500 and run