need a 9in. for the new motor

68RustBucket

Sep 27, 2003
Linwood, NJ
with the engine that i'm ordering (CHP 347 Shortblock, CompCams XE274HR, AFR 185's, Speed Demon 650) my measly stock 8in. rear is not going to hold. If anyone can honestly tell me that it will, i'm all ears. with that said, i'm gonna go with a good ol ford 9in. unfortunately, i prefer a new one to a used one just because i'm picky.

can i grab a 9in. differential and use the stock 8in axles? if not, then where can i buy a new rear from? i prefer not going to the junkyard but i will if i have to. i just need some company names and such, please. thanks guy

• Sponsors (?)

Currie sells a nine minus the chunk for 65-66s for around 1k with new everything"brakes, axels, everything. I think they have one in the new summit catalgue. You could then pick a rebuilt chunk off of ebay or have currie build you one.

68RustBucket said:
with the engine that i'm ordering (CHP 347 Shortblock, CompCams XE274HR, AFR 185's, Speed Demon 650) my measly stock 8in. rear is not going to hold. If anyone can honestly tell me that it will, i'm all ears. with that said, i'm gonna go with a good ol ford 9in. unfortunately, i prefer a new one to a used one just because i'm picky.

can i grab a 9in. differential and use the stock 8in axles? if not, then where can i buy a new rear from? i prefer not going to the junkyard but i will if i have to. i just need some company names and such, please. thanks guy

I just bought a full Currie 9in package from Summit for $2350 delivered. Bite the bullet and do it this way so you don't have to worry about the rear end for a long time.

68RustBucket said:
can you point me in the right direction as to part numbers and such?

all the receipts are at the shop. Call Summit on the phone and tell them what you got and they will hook you up. I might be able to get the numbers today, gonna go out and get a progress report.