Need advice for a beginner

phoenix99

Jun 21, 2005
Quebec
Hello ,

I just started to customize my 98 GT stang and I'm not sure what to buy at first...

I've removed my spare tire + I've done a rear seat delete setup and i've removed the air silencer (the ugly plastic piece that "strangle" air near air filter). I've buy a CAI on Ebay (i didn't installed it yet) and now I hesitate between : Alu driveshaft, diablo handheld, FRPP or BBK 70/75 TB or maybe a Nitrous kit (75-80 hp).

Any suggestion ?

Thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

I would recommend exhaust and gears. The exhaust will give you some extra horsepower and make your car sound great too. You'll probably have some people tell you not to install that CAI if it's one of those metal ones because the metal gets so hot it turns into a HOT air intake.

cam! they rated your car at 225 stock, and the 99's at 260. try to at least get a stock 99 cam, that should bring you up too.
unless your racing i would leave the spare in, you never know when you may actually need it.

BrutalStang said:
cam! they rated your car at 225 stock, and the 99's at 260. try to at least get a stock 99 cam, that should bring you up too.
unless your racing i would leave the spare in, you never know when you may actually need it.

i'm sure you meant "camS".

i would suggest doing the entire 99+ PI head, cams, intake swap before he spends money on anything else. then he can worry about exhaust/gears etc.

:nice:

Ok what are you wanting to do with the car is my ?.
Parts you listed I won't do a TB yet stocker is still fine. Driveshaft is nice but the $ I could spend better (wait till you get gears then yeah), programmer (I'll let someone else handle this one), Nitrous kit now yeah but keep in mind bottle goes empty and by the time you add all the cost up it isn't a cheap mod (n20 kit, bottle heater, purge, window switch, fpss, plugs, tune,bottle fills, is it legal on the street where you live, and etc)
My suggestion is read all the post on here try and learn a little, hit the product reviews. That way when you throw down that hard earned $ you'll see some results. It's also a good idea to sit down and decide how you want the car when finished and build toward that goal. (if $ allows it)

Premium Speed said:
i would suggest doing the entire 99+ PI head, cams, intake swap before he spends money on anything else. then he can worry about exhaust/gears etc.
Yeah, the PI swap would definitely be a good idea. If time & money allows it, that should probably be the first thing to try and get done.

Wow, thanks for all your FAST reply !!

Well, I don't want a drag car, I use my stang for daily driving (i've another used car for winter, i live in Quebec, and when it's rainy) I don't want a show car, i want muscle ! I'm living in city so sometime i'm on the highway for short distance otherwise i'm in the city.
I've spend some time to read parts review and I' still not sure... Gears is a good idea...

And for CAI/HAI :) I'll try it and if it's become too hot I'll resell it and try to get a MAC Straight Shot (they seem nice) .

Any one tryed the E-RAM ? i've done some research and i can have one for about 500$ CAD but for about 5%... is it really worth the money.... i've some doubt..

well i'll continue to read and ask questions

Thanks alot
and keep posting about what you suggest !

I don't have a garage and lift but i've a jack and ramps so i'm a bit restriced with mod i can do.
I'm not a pro in mecanic but i've friends who are pretty good.

thanks

i would address the chassis first put in the braces nessecary so you can put down the power you have there already. then worry about the gears. and eveything else if anythin get a catback system. then again it all depends on what you want to do with the car. do you want a corner hugger or a drag oriented car. or a combination of all?

I want a car that handle very well but I don't mind to get very high top speed... Anyway i'm not very often on the high way and speed limit on road here is 90 km/h (about 56mp/h) A 3.73 will be right ? for great acceleration and good top speed? For the braces (sorry i don't know what's that) can I install it my self ? and what did you recommend. I don't think i''ll get a S/C it's pretty expensive "maybe" in a couple of year but for now i don't plan to have one.

thanks

I've read a little about changing my cam for a new one... but i'm really confuse about what to get and what to avoid.

What do you think of this :

Trickflow street engine kit

Add horsepower and torque without breaking the bank with Trickflow's new engine kits. Kit Contents:
TFS-51400002 Twisted Wedge Cylinder Heads, pair
TFS-51511001 5.0L Street Intake Manifold, set
TFS-51402000 Hydraulic Roller Camshaft, each
TFS-51400510 Roller Rocker Arms, set of 16
TFS-21406700 Pushrods, set of 16
SUM-G6620 Roller Timing Chain Set, each
TFS-51400904 Gasket Kit, each
TFS-51400801 Silver Valve Covers, pair

Makes 350hp/370tq with 9.5:1 compression, 190lph pump, and 70mm throttlebody (not included)

Part #: TFSK514350370

$2,733.58 CAD
$2,132.19 US

After the install i'll really have 350 hp if I add a 70mm TB ? or i must add other stuff
because 350hp seem really nice for the price...

phoenix99 said:
I want a car that handle very well but I don't mind to get very high top speed... Anyway i'm not very often on the high way and speed limit on road here is 90 km/h (about 56mp/h) A 3.73 will be right ? for great acceleration and good top speed? For the braces (sorry i don't know what's that) can I install it my self ? and what did you recommend. I don't think i''ll get a S/C it's pretty expensive "maybe" in a couple of year but for now i don't plan to have one.

thanks

basically

strut tower (engine bay brace) diy
k member(under car brace) diy
subframe connectors (connects front of the bottom frame to the rear of the frame) this part needs to get welded in
rear strut tower brace (trunk brace) diy

once that foundation is set you can address the shocks and springs to further fine tune the handeling along with upper and lower control arms for the rear axle

gears would b nextif you forsee forced induction for gear selection should be from 3.73's, 3.90's-4.10's

and then we go for the power. which can range from nosto super chargers centrifugal/ roots style and or turbos. or a straight up engine swap which would be the most difficult of the bunch

also the kit you wrote up is for the old 302 (5.0 stang). anything that says for pushrods is not for the sn95 mustang platform 4.6 motor

well if you want true muscle, start saving up for a pi swap. unless you go the forced induction route, no amount of bolt ons will get you that much needed power. gears will really liven up the car and try to use exhaust mods to give your car a unique sound.

phoenix99 said:
strut tower,k member
for these mod to be done, did i need to pull out the engine ? or i just need to lift my car and change it

strut tower just lift the hood and drill your bolting locations. k member you have to get under neat the car. none of the require removal of the engine. and also should not be considered as a substitute for a roll cage (interms of safety)

phoenix99 said:
I've read a little about changing my cam for a new one... but i'm really confuse about what to get and what to avoid.

What do you think of this :

Trickflow street engine kit

Add horsepower and torque without breaking the bank with Trickflow's new engine kits. Kit Contents:
TFS-51400002 Twisted Wedge Cylinder Heads, pair
TFS-51511001 5.0L Street Intake Manifold, set
TFS-51402000 Hydraulic Roller Camshaft, each
TFS-51400510 Roller Rocker Arms, set of 16
TFS-21406700 Pushrods, set of 16
SUM-G6620 Roller Timing Chain Set, each
TFS-51400904 Gasket Kit, each
TFS-51400801 Silver Valve Covers, pair

Makes 350hp/370tq with 9.5:1 compression, 190lph pump, and 70mm throttlebody (not included)

Part #: TFSK514350370

$2,733.58 CAD
$2,132.19 US

After the install i'll really have 350 hp if I add a 70mm TB ? or i must add other stuff
because 350hp seem really nice for the price...

this kit is for a 5.0 you have a 4.6

one more vote for the pi swap then exhaust the gears