Need advise on what to do with my motor

Texstang9682

Oct 8, 2006
Austin, Texas
Hey guys I'm a little new to the 5.0 board ive been mostly at the 4.6 one. Anyway I have an issue with what to do with my engine in my car. My car which is an 82 GLX will be getting hauled off this weekend. It has a lot of body damage and rust.

So I have stripped it of everything worth anything including the interior, 8.8 rear end, suspension. Most of the stuff that I wont be keeping went on ebay. So my issue is with the engine. It is a fully forged high compression 331 with CNC heads and a custom cam. Everything on the engine and supporting cast is aftermarket or race oriented from the lifters to the ignition to the cooling system. The motor is a carbuerated setup with a edelbrock intake and BG mighty demon carb. The motor makes almost 400 HP at the wheels and 370 torque.

So my dillema is I dont know what to do with the motor. I have a lot of heart, sweat, time, and money into it. Now It dosent have a home. Now the car it was in was a barely street legal car but it was mostly made for the track. I do have another mustang. It is a 96 and not very fast. And I have an addiction for going fast. Should I buy another car to put it in? And if so what year. Unfortuneatly hear where I live in central Texas they just started doing emmisions testing for cars older than 25 years. Now keep in mind I dont have a lot of money to throw around and this will most likley take around 6 months for it all to happen. So should I get another 79 through 82 and put it in as is? Or should I get a newer model like a 87-95 and sell the carbuerated setup for a fuel injected setup. This time around I would like to drive the car on the street more but it would still see heavy racing action. Do yall think It would pass emmisions testing? Anyone live in Central Texas that could help with that answer? Or should I sell the motor and buy a power adder of some sort for my heavy ass 96 convertable? The car would have to be mid 11's or better. Its got some bolt-ons now and puts down 212 HP and 267 torque at the wheels right now.

Sorry for the long post yall. Anyways what would some of yall do? Advise and opinions are greatly apprieciated. Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

If you like Mustangs, buy a fox bodied rolling chassis made prior to 1985. The 8.8 rear axle will drop right in, and the engine too. The emissions issue is limited to requiring the car to pass the emissions standards for the year the car was manufactured. You are not required to meet the newer, stricter standards of a car like a 96 Mustang.

If you did manage to put the engine in the 96, you will fail the visual. You will also fail the sniffer, because there is no way that it will run as lean and clean as a computer controlled EFI engine. There have been people here who have tried, died on the sniffer and cried. :( It just isn't going to happen and the car still be driveable on the street. If it could be done, Ford would have done it. A carb is cheaper to manufacture than EFI, and that is a big incentive to an auto maker.

As far as putting catalytic converters on a carb car, that is fantasy stuff. All the early cats required an external air source to burn up the dirty exhaust emissions. That external air source (smog pump) required a computer to control the air pump and control valves. Catalytic converters designed for use with an air pump will also clog and fail if run without one for an extended time.
Later computer controlled cars ran so clean that they did not need the extra air for the catalytic process. Their cats did not have the air pump, but cannot be used long term on an older engine with dirtier exhaust emissions. The cats will clog and fail.