NEED ANSWERS QUICK ON WELDING THE INSIDE OF THE DIFFERENTIAL!!!!!

stunner6910

Oct 31, 2003
south texas
A fellow stanger's car is only spinning with one wheel and we heard of this guy who would weld the inside part of the differential. So we went ahead and spoke to him and he said he would do it for $50. He has done it on all of the cars that are in his car club and has never had any trouble with any of them. So we made an appointment for tommorrow morning. We were pretty much sold on the idea but then my friends brother in law told him that it would mess up his tires when turning. Something about both tires not spinning the same when turning, which in turn, if they both spin the same amount of times on a turn, it would mess them up. :bs: I really don't understand him but it does seem to make a little sense. But then again, how do posi cars do it then? I guess all I'm asking is if this would be a good idea or not? :shrug: Any bad sides to it? Any good sides? :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Bad idea and your friends brother is right. A posi lets one wheel spin faster than the other as you go around turns. Basically you will end up with a spool and both wheels will turn the same speed all the time. Think about it, when you make say a right hand turn, the pass side tires doesn't need to trvel as far as the outer driverside tire, there fore it doesn't spin as fast as the outer tire, if they spin the same this can cause a dangerous situation and cause the rear end to slide out from under you pretty damn easily. It will be great for the track, but that's it. Now there are guys that run spools and the street and some will claim that they noticed nothing, but the fact of the matter is that THIS WILL cause you some problems, especially on tight turns. I wouldn't do it. A T-lock repair kit can be had for the same if not a little bit more $.

The good ol'e lincoln locker as I like to call it should be left to the dirt track boys and inbred folks that don't know any better. You can get the new clutch pack for about the same money that you would spend for that guy to weld up the spider gears.

Yep, a friend of mine did that, and guess what, something went wrong, and he ended up hitting a metal post, almost killing himself & his g/f. So yeah, don't do it, just rebuild the track-lok.
Scott

Well my opinion is a little different then the rest. However I will agree that running a spool on the street can be tricky in tight turns for obvious reasons. The same can be said for a person running skinny's up front or a person removing the sway bar and running 90/10s. It all affects the car's drivability. I personally would have, err have had no problems running a spool on the street. I will say though that I wouldn't make a habit of taking corners fast and would drive more conservative. As far as tire wear, you will "chirp" the tires as you make tight turns. It is all in what you are after and what you are willing to put up with.

Personally I love the track and have went through the clutch packs pretty regularly so decided to run a spool. Nothing like having a one wheel burnout and a spin at the track. I know people that have welded up the stock differential and I have even done it myself as well. I would only do that in a temporary fix though while you wait for the spool to come in.

$200 for clutch packs??? That's CRAZY, you can buy a new traction lock differential for around that much. Call Down's Ford and the like and see what they want for them, all you want tom replace is the clutches INSIDE the differential, not the differential itself.