NEED HELP BOLTING PROJECT UP!!

MGW1

Apr 23, 2003
CT
My plight is simple, I lost all my bolts! :shrug: When I was 19 I took apart my 1968 Coupe with a 289/C4, and now, 5 years later, I'm trying to piece it back together to get it on the road. Does anyone know if there is SOME WAY I can figure out what size bolts I need besides buying expensive or concours stuff?? The engine bolts are easy, but I'm talking about bellhousing to block, bell to trans, trans crossmember, front suspension etc etc. Hopefully I can save myself eighty trips to the hardware store finding the right sizes.
Thanks for any help! PS If someone wants a project car with an 85 5.0 HO engine let me know!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Well there really isn't that wide of an assortment. They are all english threaded, so why don't you go down to your local hardware store and pick up one of each size bolt they have (maybe in coarse and fine too?). At .07 to .25 each it wouldn't be too much. Then as you go through the parts do a tally of what you need.

Most of the bolts on these cars take a 7/16", 1/2", or 9/16" socket, so that would be 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" size bolts, respectively.

Some of the info here might be helpful:
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Bolts/

As stated before there are far too many bolts to list off memory, but 99% of them are the same thread and size. My suggestiong is to go down to the hard ware store and get bolts about 3-4 inches long, fully threaded. Then go through all the holes and list the length and quality you need. Another idea is to call up a resto shop about one of those concourse sets. See if they come with a "Packing slip" which lists the bolts and sizes contained within the kit. Maybe you could get a copy of this list. Either way, no matter how prepared you are, You're going to make at least half a dozen trips to the hardware store (unless you buy all they have).