Need help determining interior gray colors

AUSTEXLX

Feb 1, 2021
Austin, TX
I'm replacing interior parts that have had too much sun wear. Overall plastic is in good condition, but I'm assuming the mismatched parts are due to sun exposure. I'm looking to replace these parts and want to get the color right.

I am not sure of the particular grays in the interior of this car. I decoded the data plate and came up with titanium, but there are more than one gray in the car.\

Int Trim - CL = leather Articulated Sport seating, low-back front buckets (C), White and Titanium interior trim color (L)

I'm attaching a photo for reference. Disregard the replacement cupholder console, I know that doesn't match.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 144
  • Sponsors (?)

90 LX 5.0 Convertible
Here's some more door tag info.

Date - 02/90 = February 1990 build
Exterior Paint Colors - YO = Oxford White
VR - W = White convertible top
Mldg - X = Black bodyside molding
Int Trim - CL = leather Articulated Sport seating, low-back front buckets (C), White and Titanium interior trim color (L)

Should be Titanium gray. 1990 had Titanium gray. I have a 1990 GT convertible, black exterior, interior is oxford white/titanium gray leather.

VtGfih.jpg

wZaEWy.jpg
Yes, the door tag does say titanium gray. I see that throughout the car there are a few different shades of gray, similar to the pics you just posted. Is this how they left the factory, or did some of these parts age differently? I'm trying to get this factory fresh and want a reference. I suppose that some parts aren't available in titanium gray, so they'll need to be dyed.

So would anything gray all need to be titanium gray?

Also repro parts such as map pockets, speaker grills will never be a perfect match. It's close, but not exact. The only way to get everything to match would be to paint/dye all of the gray pieces with titanium gray paint.

Also repro parts such as map pockets, speaker grills will never be a perfect match. It's close, but not exact. The only way to get everything to match would be to paint/dye all of the gray pieces with titanium gray paint.
Thank you, that was my thought too. Most of the interior bits are in good shape, despite being faded to different shades of gray. I suppose I will dye/paint those parts back to titanium. Also, this car had a lot of Texas sunshine so I also plan to replace all mouldings and seals.

Appreciate the input and advice! Glad I found these forums.

Another 1990 Titanium Grey here and I don't believe my car has seen an overt amount of sunshine but I can say mine looks much the same with each part being a slightly different shade / lacking in uniformity. I am thinking maybe this is normal off the line having seen yours and Mstang's pictures or that maybe the specific dye/paint they used for the titanium grey took differently to each different kind of interior material or later reacted differently in a way unforeseen with those materials once there was a little age on them

Last edited:
I have titanium in my ‘91. Installing the cup holder center console lead me to repainting most of the interior to get everything matching and looking new. I’ve never seen the white door cards and gray trim though. Must be a vert thing. It could also be that some of the parts were replaced with the wrong gray at some point and never painted to match.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 141
After looking at it again, I definitely think that your armrest pad, the card section above it, and the speaker grill were replaced and never painted to match. The part of the armrest that holds the window switches looks to be original and the correct color.

Here are some pictures I just took of my '90 Vert Titanium Grey (Int Trim AA)
To best of my knowledge no parts have ever been replaced on this car.

Although the armrest pads do look a strange tinge of green but so is the pad across the passenger dashboard/air vent section.
And they also look far too aged and disgusting to have been replaced any time in the past 15 years and this has been a one (US Serviceman's car in the UK) owner car since new other than a brief spell of a couple of years 2017-2019 where a second owner attempted a restoration and broke or lost a few things for me.. the poor driver's door card is a third ripped off by hand.. leaving all the clips in the door metal and then they gave up on restoring those..

(They did pay for a new gas tank and convertible top for me though, so it's not all bad!)
Then they threw in the towel and traded it in at a used car lot which is where I then managed to grab it.

But then again I can't really fathom why the blanking plug is missing on the passenger side unless they were just curious on how they could disassemble the doors as they obviously had no clue on how to take the door cards off on the other side.. or anything else for that matter! It's always fun trying to reconstruct the sequence of events taken by a previous owner with these kind of things. So I can't really say 100% if they're original or not because of that missing plug. Although yours seem to look discoloured in quite a similar sort of fashion, Tex? My sill/kick plate is also discolouring in a similarly strange kind of way

I hope these help you get a better idea of the interior!

And let me know if there's any other spots you'd like a photo of for reference

Attachments

• dcp.jpg
    dcp.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 127
  • dcd.jpg
    dcd.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 119
  • int.jpg
    int.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 136
  • int2.jpg
    int2.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 125
  • int3.jpg
    int3.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 119
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 87
  • ap2.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Which paint/dye did you end up going for with your car, Dan? Looks like a really good job! SEM dye products seem to be the favourite but I couldn't seem to find what # people use for Titanium Grey interiors and nor does anyone sell it in the UK/Europe at all! So I'll have to try and track some down if there is a SEM # which matches or try and come up with an alternative product or failing this I'll just clean it up and leave well enough alone.. hah

Which paint/dye did you end up going for with your car, Dan? Looks like a really good job! SEM dye products seem to be the favourite but I couldn't seem to find what # people use for Titanium Grey interiors and nor does anyone sell it in the UK/Europe at all! So I'll have to try and track some down if there is a SEM # which matches or try and come up with an alternative product or failing this I'll just clean it up and leave well enough alone.. hah
Thanks. It is a SEM paint that I bought from LMR. Looks like they no longer sell it though. I think I still have a can though so I'll see if I can get the part number off of it for you when I get off work.

That'd be great! Thanks very much! :D

There does seem to be a dearth of paints for the Titanium Grey but it'll be excellent to have a lead on which one I'm trying to track down :rock:

It looks like Austexlx is going to need the same cans so hopefully there's some still in the wild for us!

Reactions: 1 user
I have titanium in my ‘91. Installing the cup holder center console lead me to repainting most of the interior to get everything matching and looking new. I’ve never seen the white door cards and gray trim though. Must be a vert thing. It could also be that some of the parts were replaced with the wrong gray at some point and never painted to match.
Given the history, the miles and only two previous owners that I'm assuming that the

There does seem to be a dearth of paints for the Titanium Grey but it'll be excellent to have a lead on which one I'm trying to track down :rock:

It looks like Austexlx is going to need the same cans so hopefully there's some still in the wild for us!
I'm interested in this paint when it can be located again. If LMR currently doesn't carry it, they may be able to get it again if there are interest and a need. Their merchandisers will hunt down the supply.

Here are some pictures I just took of my '90 Vert Titanium Grey (Int Trim AA)
To best of my knowledge no parts have ever been replaced on this car.

Although the armrest pads do look a strange tinge of green but so is the pad across the passenger dashboard/air vent section.
And they also look far too aged and disgusting to have been replaced any time in the past 15 years and this has been a one (US Serviceman's car in the UK) owner car since new other than a brief spell of a couple of years 2017-2019 where a second owner attempted a restoration and broke or lost a few things for me.. the poor driver's door card is a third ripped off by hand.. leaving all the clips in the door metal and then they gave up on restoring those..

(They did pay for a new gas tank and convertible top for me though, so it's not all bad!)
Then they threw in the towel and traded it in at a used car lot which is where I then managed to grab it.

But then again I can't really fathom why the blanking plug is missing on the passenger side unless they were just curious on how they could disassemble the doors as they obviously had no clue on how to take the door cards off on the other side.. or anything else for that matter! It's always fun trying to reconstruct the sequence of events taken by a previous owner with these kind of things. So I can't really say 100% if they're original or not because of that missing plug. Although yours seem to look discoloured in quite a similar sort of fashion, Tex? My sill/kick plate is also discolouring in a similarly strange kind of way

I hope these help you get a better idea of the interior!

And let me know if there's any other spots you'd like a photo of for reference
I'm pretty confident that the only parts that were replaced in my car are the map pockets in the doors. I'm missing armrest plugs too. Replacements for these parts are not Titanium gray and must be painted/dyed, so I'm trying to keep things as original as possible, but realize that in my pursuit of aesthetic perfection, that won't be possible.

My sill plates too have seen better days. The finish is worn and they're showing an odd discoloration as well. Overall, the interior is mostly ok, but not as fresh as I would like it.

I couldn't find my left over can so I must have used it all, but I think this is the stuff:

SEM 1990-92 TITANIUM GRAY