Need help diagnosing her illness

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38176

Within the last 2 or 3 weeks my car has been performing like complete ****. Its a night and day difference. It feels like its hesitating pretty heavily from 2-3K RPM just cruising and bogs pretty noticeable @ WOT. The only way I can describe it is that it feels like the transmission is slipping ever 1-2 seconds. I know that the tranny isn't the problem but that's how it feels. It also feels like it hits a brick wall past 3K.

I've heard that the 99-04 2V's have had frequent problems with the COP. Could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

What type of plugs and how many miles on them? The first thing I would check is the plugs... The gap is off or they are fouled or it could be a COP like you say. Easier to check plugs first, then if they look ok take the COPs which are already off for the plug check into the stealership and get them bench tested.

What type of plugs and how many miles on them? The first thing I would check is the plugs... The gap is off or they are fouled or it could be a COP like you say. Easier to check plugs first, then if they look ok take the COPs which are already off for the plug check into the stealership and get them bench tested.

Sounds like you are getting spark blow out from bad plugs or cops, like kilgore said.

You might as well replace the plugs since you have to take them out to inspect them. Gap them at 0.050-0.054 for a n/a engine.

My guess would be TPS but, some symptoms may be the same for different problems. Hesitation w/ WOT through those RPMs are a symptom of a faulty TPS, I could be wrong, it doesn't hurt to check the plugs though! You should find a mechanic w/a scope to make sure that all of the electronic components, both digital and analog are giving your ECU the right info. Now would a good time to clean your MAF, just rule that sensor out. Make sure all of your vacum hoses are tight, you know, basic stuff. Higher octane gas would not hurt for one fill up. Reply w/results.:flag:

From what I know, everything is still stock (I doubt the plugs have ever been messed with). I only bought the car last June and really have no idea what kind of maintenance the previous owner performed.

I know that the fuel filter needs to be changed immediately but didn't think a clogged filter can destroy performance this bad.....can it?

I'll check the plugs, wells, clean the MAF, and swap out the fuel filter. Hopefully that helps. Thanks guys :flag: